Some thoughts about the Lawn Club

flagger

I have been reading some of the reviews about the grass and I wanted to make some random comments.

Personally I loved the novelty of it. I am normally not someone who walks through the grass and it was nice to feel it on my barefeet. I spent some time talking to one of the groundskeepers staff who said that the grass was not really going to be for people to lounge or picnic on. This to me goes against what I envisioned, but I am used to marketing materials not always matching reality.

Dan Hanrahan said in one of this Q&As that they had not put in pavers so they could see the wear patterns. They are aware there will be areas that need adjusting like around the Hot Glass Show.

Back to the greenskeeper, he pointed out where saltwater had dripped down from the canopies onto certain areas during the crossing which had created wear spots there as well. Perhaps those canopies can be redesigned as to funnel water elsewhere.

Personally I think the Lawn Club is here to stay. Places with outdoor areas are able to have grass with thousands of guests picnicing and watching concerts without having "rest periods". I think given time, the idea of grass on a ship will grow on people.

I was not expecting to care about the lawn, but thoroughly enjoyed it. It is a great feature for a great ship.

I was told that the current grass is winter grass and that it will be changed out to a grass that will do better in the warmer weather.

I give it a couple of years at best. At some point the cost of the staff and replacing sod in response to various problems will become an issue with the bean counters at corporate. There are some very nice synthetic turfs being made now that would, look even nicer, prove to be much more useable for all kinds of events and most importantly will not need "rest". There is to much square footage of recreation space in that area for it to only be used sparingly.

Time will tell

Rich

I also didn't think it would be a feature that would be attractive to me.

Having been on the 12/14 two day sail I must say that I really liked the look and feel and there were people actually playing lawn games :p That I didn't expect.

When someone says GRASS all I can see is our lawnman running over flowers and wacking our shrubbery :eek:

I think that with the lawn and so many other new ideas on board we have to remember that this is the 1st of 5 ships and they will be adjusting to see what is going to work. I can see them changing the grass for the warmer weather as the grass has to be very hardy to handle our hot tropical sun.

Archived