i guide the sky

Have you been upgraded?  

362 members have voted

1. 1. Have you been upgraded?

• yes, significatly upgraded
    • yes, but not signifigantly upgraded
    • yes, got the grand suite
    • no, never upgraded

In 2006 we booked the cheapest inside cabin guarantee on the Sun Princess sailing Alaska. We ended up getting an outside cabin (no balcony). I consider that considerable. All other cruises we booked a specific cabin and requested no upgrade.

The first time Princess upgraded us we had the cheapest cabin on board and were upgraded to a minisuite. The second time was not a good upgrade, just one category but still obstructed view. The last time we got a full suite from a mini suite. And those are the only upgrades we have gotten out of almost 30 cruises!

I booked a guarantee inside and just found out my cabin will still be inside but we are on the caribbean deck. Since this is not on a lower deck would this be considered sort of an upgrade?

This is the first cruise we have booked that we didn't pick our cabin in advance. New to Princess so thought we'd give it a try since we don't really care where we are. Checking everyday though to watch for prices to lower and if they do then we will upgrade but if not we will be happy just to be going.

I do have one more question. I know there are several levels to each category determined with a letter next to it such as J or JJ and so on. On an inside room what is considered the lowest category stateroom? Would that be a category inside J? Is it the higher the letter the better the area or is it the lower the letter the better the area? First trip I have even paid attention to the letters by the category because like I said we have always got the assigned room at booking the cruise.

Thanks for the help.

Pam

I booked a guarantee inside and just found out my cabin will still be inside but we are on the caribbean deck. Since this is not on a lower deck would this be considered sort of an upgrade?

This is the first cruise we have booked that we didn't pick our cabin in advance. New to Princess so thought we'd give it a try since we don't really care where we are. Checking everyday though to watch for prices to lower and if they do then we will upgrade but if not we will be happy just to be going.

I do have one more question. I know there are several levels to each category determined with a letter next to it such as J or JJ and so on. On an inside room what is considered the lowest category stateroom? Would that be a category inside J? Is it the higher the letter the better the area or is it the lower the letter the better the area? First trip I have even paid attention to the letters by the category because like I said we have always got the assigned room at booking the cruise.

Thanks for the help.

Pam

Pam, what you received is quite normal. It is an in-category upgrade. I know we all read about some who receive those fantastic upgrades from an inside to a balcony or outside to mini suite, but they honestly don't happen very often.

Anytime you get something better than what you paid for, it is worth smiling about. Congrats!

Thanks for answering my question.

I am very happy just to be going. Believe me, I honestly don't care where we are on the ship. We all get to the same place at the same time no matter what kind of room we have.

Sure, I love a balcony just like anyone else but an inside is fine for us. This is an expensive trip no matter what we would pick so might as well go cheaper for the room and spend the extra to see Hawaii for our first time.

We are also looking forward to going on our first Princess cruise.

Thanks again.

On our cruise to Alaska on the Regal we particularly liked our room, so when we went on her again through the Panama Canal we booked the same room. I don't recall being able to specify that we didn't want to change rooms. In any case, on checking our reservation (which I do at least once a week before we sail) we had been "upgraded" and our room reassigned. I was very upset and suggested our "upgrade" be given to the people who now had the room we wanted. After a day or two we were back where we wanted to be.

This is slightly off subject, but thought I would post anyway just because for us this was an upgrade we didn't want and a reverse of most posts on this thread.

Enjoyed reading all these posts and trying to figure out if there is any rhyme or reason to the way Princess handles upgrades ! We are frequent Princess cruisers (now Elite) and this is the way it went for us. We first sailed Princess in 1982. With this first cruise under our belts we received nice upgrades on the next 3 or 4 cruises. I guess this was to set the "hook" so to speak. We have never received another upgrade! We continue to sail Princess , not because they are the best cruise line, but we find we are very comfortable with them, kinda like the "old shoe" theory. You can book and hope the upgrade fairy is in the area but don't bet on it !! :)

Archived