Coco Cay or Great Stirrup Cay?

Dukegirl5577

Trying to decide whether to do Royal Carribean's itinerary to the Bahamas or Norwegian's. I've never been on Royal Carribean, but have been on Norwegian twice and Princess once. I loved the Freestyle aspect of Norwegian (didn't love the assigned seating of Princess, which is what I know Royal Carribean has).

I've seen a lot of complaints on here about Great Stirrup Cay, but have also seen a lot of people who loved it.

How does GSC compare to Coco Cay? Which is nicer?

We were at GSC in 2006 and Coco Cay last year. No comparison. Coco Cay is much better. Larger. Better laid out. More beaches. Better straw market. Better bars. Just plain better. Not even close. But for heavens sake, don't make you cruise decision on the difference between the private islands. That's just ............ well, not smart!:rolleyes:

Coco Cay wins hands down as the island to see. That said, NCL's breakfast cinnamon buns are way better than RCI's.:D

Seriously, I love Coco Cay and think of it as a true paradise. I was not so thrilled with Great Stirrup Cay even though the two islands are close neighbors. It would seem that they would be comparable, but they are not. Neither is their BBQ lunch. Coco Cay has a a better lunch and more activities are offered for Coco Cay visitors. Coco Cay has prettier beaches too.

Be advised, however, that you may not make it to Coco Cay if the weather is bad or the tidal currents are too rough. SO you do run a slight risk of not getting to Coco Cay.

So choose your ship based on what cruise line you prefer and not what island you prefer--or choose RCI and take the chance. It might be worth the risk.

The BBQ is "free" on GSC; that is, it's considered one of your included meals- that you already purchased in your cruise fare! Alcoholic beverages are extra (there will be bar service). Some beverages were free (I assume iced tea?) but we used the bar service (bucket of beer, etc).

I'll be blunt about the BBQ lunch at Great Stirrup Cay. It would be better to return to the ship and eat in the buffet where the food was uniformly delicious and a great treat or eat aboard before you go to the island.

I'm amazed that NCL can have such yummy food on board and such a disappointing BBQ on the island. Maybe they don't have very good facilities to prepare and serve a more enticing picnic at GSC.

I'll be blunt about the BBQ lunch at Great Stirrup Cay. It would be better to return to the ship and eat in the buffet where the food was uniformly delicious and a great treat or eat aboard before you go to the island.

I'm amazed that NCL can have such yummy food on board and such a disappointing BBQ on the island. Maybe they don't have very good facilities to prepare and serve a more enticing picnic at GSC.

I agree completely! We've been on GSC twice - and were disappointed both times! The BBQ is not good, and the island is small. Coco Cay is MUCH nicer!

Archived