Question of Pirates and Carnival Cruise Ships...

AustinSooner

Here is a map locating the attacks so far this year.

http://www.icc-ccs.org/index.php?option=com_fabrik&view=visualization&controller=visualization.googlemap&Itemid=89

If a pirate group thought they could take a cruise ship they would surely try it. There has been more than one cruise ship attacked htis year.

The Russians just announced they are pulling thier patrols from around Africa and a couple of other countries will probably do the same. So that leaves a few over worked ships to patrol a fairly large chunk of ocean.

I just hope a cruise ship does not get boarded.

How long were you in the Navy total? I was in from 1987-2007, ships I was on were USS Newport(LST-1179), USS Antrim (FFG-20), USS Monterey (CG-61), USNS Kilauea (TAE-26), USS Emory S Land (AS-39) and USNS Spica (TAFS-9).

On our last cruise, a Pirate Man and Pirate Woman came through the Dining room and the Pirate Woman held a sword to my neck while they took my picture. The Pirate Man did the same to my Wife. Damn Pirates! :D

Happened to us too. And in fact, they held that picture for ransom and threatened to destroy it if we did not pay 29.99.... :D

Ok, I'll probably know it when I hear it, but what is CWIS? Thanks

CIWS stands for Close-In Weapon System, it is a 20mm gatling-style gun system that also sports a search radar and a tracking radar. What the system does is when an incoming missile is detected it will lock on, train the gun on the target and open fire. It will fire approximately 3500-4000 rounds per minute and has a capacity of 1500 rounds. When it is fired it sounds like a very loud razzberry...

CIWS stands for Close-In Weapon System, it is a 20mm gatling-style gun system that also sports a search radar and a tracking radar. What the system does is when an incoming missile is detected it will lock on, train the gun on the target and open fire. It will fire approximately 3500-4000 rounds per minute and has a capacity of 1500 rounds. When it is fired it sounds like a very loud razzberry...

It's also very effective against ground type targets ;)

Prolly havin his cookies and milk..................

Tyde Tyde Tyde....the second I read that there were about 10 responses that popped into my head....I'm not even going there....:D

It can be manually trained on ground targets...it is primarily for air defense...but it can be used on ground targets...it can also be used for ship to ship combat (USS Iwo Jima's bridge was shot up by USS El Paso's CIWS when it was left active in port)...the XO was killed on USS Iwo Jima...

Prolly havin his cookies and milk..................

898.gifYou silly man!:p

Tyde Tyde Tyde....the second I read that there were about 10 responses that popped into my head....I'm not even going there....:D

Too bad! Could've been a fun day!;) Course ya gotta watch out for the time-out gods:rolleyes:

It can be manually trained on ground targets...it is primarily for air defense...but it can be used on ground targets...it can also be used for ship to ship combat

Uh....thanks, I guess. I'm pretty up to snuff of military weapons systems thankyouverymuch.

Ya thank ?;):D

Maybe just a little bit ;) Did'ja see that thing on TV yet? Several of those projects I am rather "familiar" with ;) Good stuff Maynard:D

Maybe just a little bit ;) Did'ja see that thing on TV yet? Several of those projects I am rather "familiar" with ;) Good stuff Maynard:D

Not yet, I haven't had time to watch TV in a couple of weeks.:(

I'll probably watch it Saturday.

Archived