Edinburgh/Tattoo Accommodation Help!

dsfischer

I will be on the Crown Princess next August 12, 2009 and was able to buy Tattoo tickets for the August 8th performance (rather than going later on a ship excursion). I am flying to London and plan to take the train to Edinburgh for a few days, then will return to London for some sightseeing before the cruise. Does anyone have suggestions for a reasonably priced hotel or B&B within walking distance of the Castle? Or, if I stay further away from the city center is there an easy way to get to and from the performance area? Now that I have my Tattoo tickets, it's time to plan! Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Debbie

Hello Debbie, Sorry I cant recommend a hotel as its years since we stayed in Edinburgh but, this seems a reasonable site for you to get started on.

I should point out that August in Edinburgh, what with the tatoo and the festival in full swing is a very busy place and hotel rooms are at a premium at this time so you may well have to move a bit out from the centre.

However there's plenty buses and trains and of course taxis if the worst comes to the worst. The main train station, Edinburgh Waverley is virtually directly below the castle and is only a 15 minute walk. (uphill)

Jimmy

A few years ago, we stayed at the Melville Guest House: http://www.melvilleguesthouse.com/index.html

Nice place, bit outside centre of town but on a bus route. Seems to have changed ownership recently, was owned by a English/American couple, and as a consequence was one of the only places I've stayed in Europe with washcloths!

Thank you for the suggestions! I was so delighted to get the Tattoo tickets that I hadn't realized that finding a place to stay might not be as easy as I thought. It seems that some of the B&Bs require at least 3 nights' stay. Now I'm glad I'm looking for a room eight months early!

Debbie

Debbie,

We have stayed at this B&B twice in the past (May 1996 and August 2004 for the Tattoo). The price might seem high but it is a very nice house. It has changed name and owners since we last stayed. It is close enough to walk to the castle and it is just a couple blocks from a bus line if you want to do that.

www.albyntownhouse.co.uk

Have loads of fun!

Donna

Debbie ~

Why don't you join the August 12th Roll Call? We already have a large Roll Call with several Private Tours planned.

Happy Sailing,

Anne

I will be on the Crown Princess next August 12, 2009 Now that I have my Tattoo tickets, it's time to plan! Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Debbie

Thanks for the continuing suggestions! I'll send some emails to check availability. For some reason several places show no rooms available, so I can't tell if they are sold out or just not booking yet.

Again, thanks everyone for the help!

Debbie

You will love the Tattoo. DH and I saw it in 1994, and it was absolutely wonderful.You are wise to book now as all the lodging gets booked early.

It just so happens that I'll be in Edinburgh in June as part of a land holiday so I've been doing the kind of research you're doing. I went to the official tourist board web site which is www.edinburgh.org and in my research I recognized a small hotel where I'd stayed one night in 2006 and remember it as being quite nice. So, I've booked it for my visit.

It's the A-Haven Townhouse Hotel and is away from the city center but is on a couple of bus lines. And the owner tells me a taxi from the center of the city is about 7 GBP.

Here's a link: http://www.a-haven.co.uk/ I'll be alone, and the cost is 35 GBP per night.

Since the A-Haven has its own web site I booked directly, but www.edinburgh.org web site will allow you to send out lots of enquiries.

Good luck, and enjoy Edinburgh. It's a great city.

Archived