Pacific Sun first Cruise

sonbuck

HI all, yes sadly another first time cruiser.. After all i have been reading in the past few weeks about the Pacific Sun i am really after some hopefully positive feedback. We are due to sail in April and after some do's and dont's. Thanks

Sonia:)

Hi Sonia I am a newbie too. I'm going on the Sun a week after you so maybe you can fill in with some good tips. It's so exciting going on your first cruise and by the sound of all the cruisers that excitement never leaves you. I've had great feed back and advice, great tips and was made to feel welcome on this site so these are the type of people we'll cruise with, can't go wrong, oh maybe seasickness!!

HI wildweston,

yeah been reading the posts for some time now. I am really excited and have done loads of research.. Dont know if i will get time to give you feedback prior to you departing, might pass you on docks. I am keen to find out what tours we should look at etc too. Never been to the South Pacific before and its our first real trip out of Oz.. I have been to NZ for a short holiday.

Hi Sonia we are going up the Queensland coast first time, thought that might be a good start to see how we go. I have also read everything I can get my hands on. Thinking maybe NZ next cruise but there are so many to choose from I just don't know.

Cheryl

HI all, yes sadly another first time cruiser.. After all i have been reading in the past few weeks about the Pacific Sun i am really after some hopefully positive feedback. We are due to sail in April and after some do's and dont's. Thanks

Sonia:)

Hi Sonia

Welcome to CC!

I'm sure that you'll learn a lot about cruising after reading these boards.

You could go back and read some reviews that were done on the Pacific Sun to give you a better idea of facilities etc (a lot include photos so that at least you can get an image of the places you visit).

If you have any questions i'm sure anybody on this board would be more than happy to answer them.

Hey Brossy that's a great tip. I did that and found a great review and heaps of pics on page 12/13.

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl

That's great (I wish I had known about CC before I went on my last cruise because I have learnt so much in the short time that would have been handy to know - especially what to do in Noumea ;)). Happy reading :).

Welcome aboard.

Some people complain about Pacific Sun but I have been on 5 star ships and true Pacific Sun doesn't compare to them but I think it's a great ship.

You'll love it.

The only negative was that the buffet doesn't open of a night so if you feel like eating at a different time to your fixed sitting too bad.

The food was good. Activities and shows were mostly good. For the class of ship I thought the rooms were quite good too.

You will be so excited discovering everything on the ship. Your first cruise is definitely unique. Our first cruise was booked on a Friday night, we got confirmation the next day and sailed on the Sunday.:eek: No time to get excited (or go shopping for clothes LOL). That was pre 9/11 when you could do that.

Have fun. Be careful- It's addictive. :D

Hey sayaguru thanks for that, it's very exciting and from February on it's your choice dining on the Sun so that is good. I see 2007 was a good year for cruising for you! I'm worried about cruising being addictive I just read all you guys cruises and I know for sure that it is.

Cheryl

Hey sayaguru thanks for that, it's very exciting and from February on it's your choice dining on the Sun so that is good. I see 2007 was a good year for cruising for you! I'm worried about cruising being addictive I just read all you guys cruises and I know for sure that it is.

Cheryl

Hi wildweston

You sail when we get back (lucky you! You'll be smiling when we're crying!!!)

We've sailed on the Pacific Sun once before - and loved it!

And you definitely should be worried about cruising being addictive ... it is!!!!!

Hi all thanks for the feedback.. I am so glad i to found CC before cruising.. I have learnt so much already and am buzzing about sailing.. I couldnt book to close to sail date.. I have to enjoy the lead up hype hehe

Hi Sonia we are going up the Queensland coast first time, thought that might be a good start to see how we go. I have also read everything I can get my hands on. Thinking maybe NZ next cruise but there are so many to choose from I just don't know.

Cheryl

Wish we had that as an option.. but didnt even think of it.. Funny thing is my DH gets very sea sick so will be very interesting to see how he goes on a BIG boat.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Our first cruise ever - on the Pacific Sun N913 cruise will also be our honeymoon yay! :) I'm not sure whether there is a meet and greet or not but as this is our honeymoon ... would it be better to leave any meet n greets to our second/next cruise? I'm not sure how "with it" we will be and don't want to offend anyone :p. Plus due to controlling parents (on my side) the wedding planning has been SUCH a nightmare ... looking forward to not talking much I guess. But we are so looking forward to this. Oh and this is my first post too :rolleyes:

BrisNewbies :)

Good morning,

My mum, 2 sons (10 & 8) and I are excitedly looking forward to our first cruise on the Sun at the beginning of May. I found CC googling reviews of the Sun and whilst the review wasn't great, I was very pleased to have found this site. I've got SO MANY good ideas already!!

Am also looking forward to hearing what the Sun's like from new cruisers ; )

Cheers, KT

Sonia, we did the Noumea, Lifou, Vila as our first cruise in November on Pacific Sun - we had a great time to the extent we started planning our next cruise straightaway - it is the best holiday we have had - a one weeker on the Pacific Sun was the a good intro to cruising for us. It is a fine ship, and we have only good things to report . The crew, service, activities were all fine and the food..well I put on 3kgs in the week so I was very naughty - could not resist the temptations of a good menu in the dining room - we avoided the buffet - I dont do queues ..lol. My standout tip on shore is when grabbing a taxi in Vila you will be confronted by a horde of drivers (friendly) who will want your fare into town - the taxis come in all various types of condition from the quite new (rare) to the rundown ramshackle bucket of bolts on wheels - rather than pick a cab driver - walk down the row of cabs - pick out one that looks in good condition - then yell out --who owns this car??? the drivers all seem to have super sonic hearing so the owner of your selected car will pop up out of the crowd - make sure you agree on the fare before you get in - we had a lovely tour in an air conditioned near new car with a friendly driver for two hours looking at the sights and returned to town - he suggested $50 we agreed on $40 - but coz we had such a great tour and he looked after us we gave him the $50 - which he was chuffed about - to the extent that he arranged to meet us when we had finished in town and take us back to the ship for free - but we paid him for that ride as well of course. Of course you be the adventourous type like a couple we befriended on the ship - they picked the biggest pile of junk in the car park - a multi coloured bongo van with no side windows - they had a ball..personal choice. Have not looked at where your going , but if going to Lifou invest in some reef shoes if planning to swim - they are a must - you can get them for under $10 at Big W , Kmart etc. enjoy your cruise..Steve

Steve,

We are doing the same trip. Thanks for the info. I have gathered so much of it from CC members. I have the reef shoes for the family. We plan to do a tour in the morning then taxi into town for shopping in Vila. Not sure what to do yet in Noumea. So would be thrilled for any feedback.

Cant wait.. so excited, counting down the days..trying to keep busy and starting to put things aside ready to pack :)

Cheers

Sonia

:)

Sonia

We did not go on any of the P&O organised tours so cant give any tips there . We did not want to book anything and then on the day feel like doing something else coz of the weather or whatever. In Noumea when you get off the ship at the Information Centre where you will be offered bus trips and other activities by the locals . There was an English lady who was touting her bus tour, which we jumped on, As it turned out we aced there coz it was a modern air conditioned bus - and she was agreat tour guide. P&O same tours (our bus followed their buses basically) were more expensive (cant remember how much more) and at least one of their buses were not air con. I reckon all Noumea drivers are crazy. If you want some cheap entertainment - go to shop, buy an ice cream and sit near a busy intersection - hillarous. People are all friendly that we came across. There is a cheap dept store is side street not far from the ship (bit like a red dot or reject) where we bought our kit for the Rock n Roll night, and Hawaiian night and Country and Western night..Steve

In Noumea you can do the Petite Train - book it when you get off the ship (at the Cruise Terminal) - I think it was $20pp there (as opposed to $59 if you book the P&O tour) - the only difference being you get petit fours and champagne at one of the lookouts!).

There's also a bus tour available, that follows a similar route to the train, which is much cheaper booked direct than through P&O.:)

Hope you have a great cruise!:D

LouLou & Stevedonna,

thanks heaps for the ideas. I to enjoy people watching.. And i am sure traffic watching in a place like that would be just as enjoyable.. I have looked at the train and was thinking a good idea.. but thats an amazing saving by booking on shore.

Thanks again

Sonia

Archived