Your thoughts Please!

cunard_cruiser

I'm just considering a change to my round trip TA next year and would appreciate some help!

I've two options at the moment, well three actually- the third being, change nothing!

Option 1

Upgrade from our B2 to a P2 (we need a three berth cabin due to our 18 month daughter), this would add about £4,000 to the total cost.

Option 2

Book the 'Voyage of Vikings' (6th -13th June) as a B2 (circa £2,600) to extend our stay on QM2 - this would also be nice as it is our wedding anniversary on the 12th.

My gut feel is that the round trip TA upgrade is a bit too expensive, whilst the extra cabin space would be nice we aren't planning on spending that much time in the cabin anyway. Plus the cabin position on deck 10 is not as good for inclement weather as the 5 deck B2 we currently have.

The main benefit would be the better quality food. This was my main disappointment with QM2, the food was not up to the QE2 standard, no doubt due to the sheer numbers of mouths they have to feed, plus in QM2's defence my last QE2 trip was as Queens Grill so I wasn't really comparing like for like.

So what do you all think, am I better paying a lot for a round trip TA upgrade, staying in a B2 and spend the money better on Todd English reservations. Or spending some more time on QM2 in the fjords, or even saving all my cash to spend in the big apple!!!

I'm just considering a change to my round trip TA next year and would appreciate some help!

I've two options at the moment, well three actually- the third being, change nothing!

Option 1

Upgrade from our B2 to a P2 (we need a three berth cabin due to our 18 month daughter), this would add about £4,000 to the total cost.

Option 2

Book the 'Voyage of Vikings' (6th -13th June) as a B2 (circa £2,600) to extend our stay on QM2 - this would also be nice as it is our wedding anniversary on the 12th.

My gut feel is that the round trip TA upgrade is a bit too expensive, whilst the extra cabin space would be nice we aren't planning on spending that much time in the cabin anyway. Plus the cabin position on deck 10 is not as good for inclement weather as the 5 deck B2 we currently have.

The main benefit would be the better quality food. This was my main disappointment with QM2, the food was not up to the QE2 standard, no doubt due to the sheer numbers of mouths they have to feed, plus in QM2's defence my last QE2 trip was as Queens Grill so I wasn't really comparing like for like.

So what do you all think, am I better paying a lot for a round trip TA upgrade, staying in a B2 and spend the money better on Todd English reservations. Or spending some more time on QM2 in the fjords, or even saving all my cash to spend in the big apple!!!

Maths not being my strongest suite I may be in error here HOWEVER,

I looked at it like this.

You pay extra £4000 for the upgrade mainly because of the food.

OK - twelve nights aboard for the round trip.

Thats £333.3 per night.

Divide by 2 (assuming you are a couple)

Thats 166.66 per person per night.

Assume 3 full meals per day

Thats an extra £55.55 per person per meal.

Todd English is only $30 for dinner and a bit less for lunch I believe.

Of course you get the extra service and cabin room but it depends on your priorities.

My personal preference would be more time in NYC but then I'm an old buffer not some young thing with a small child to consider.

Second choice would be the viking thing.

Just my immediate reaction to your question.

Gari

If I recall correctly a B2 is an exterior with window, I have stayed in a similar cabin on QM2 that had two extra berths in the ceiling. I can't imagine there would be a cost implication to having a rugrat in such accommodation - having said that I don't remember a window. Would that meet your needs or do you need more floor space?

My personal preference would be more time in NYC

That isn't one of the options is it, being as the current booking is a roundtrip TA? :D

Personally I'd choose option B, because I'd want to stay on board as long as possible, I'm really not bothered which cabin I'm in (like I have a choice, we're booked in a D8 Guarantee!).

That isn't one of the options is it, being as the current booking is a roundtrip TA? :D

That depends, you can have a round trip TA with up to five days in NYC as an all-in deal as opposed to a back-to-back TA. I've done two of them and have one booked for 2009.

Gari.

That depends, you can have a round trip TA with up to five days in NYC as an all-in deal as opposed to a back-to-back TA.

I know, but cunard_cruiser did not mention staying longer in NY as an option for him, surely this would only be possible if QM2 was going somewhere within the US for a few days, which can't be the case if she's returning to the UK to do the Norway cruise? Plus he has another thread asking about transport for the one day in NY

I know, but cunard_cruiser did not mention staying longer in NY as an option for him, surely this would only be possible if QM2 was going somewhere within the US for a few days, which can't be the case if she's returning to the UK to do the Norway cruise? Plus he has another thread asking about transport for the one day in NY

OK.

Gari

That depends, you can have a round trip TA with up to five days in NYC as an all-in deal as opposed to a back-to-back TA. I've done two of them and have one booked for 2009.

Gari.

Gari,

Do you know if there are any Cunard cruises that do the same thing in the reverse direction? In other words from NYC to Southampton with five days before you head back.

Archived