Looking for help with excursions

cman67

We're going on our first cruise in February and looking for recommendations for excursions when we're in Belize. Can you give me your top 3 excursions ideas (either through the cruise line or on your own)

Thanks for the help!!

We're going on our first cruise in February and looking for recommendations for excursions when we're in Belize. Can you give me your top 3 excursions ideas (either through the cruise line or on your own)

Thanks for the help!!

I traditionally only do excursions $30 and under however this October I splurged to do the Lamani Ruins since it was highly recommended. We went during a time Belize was EXTREAMLY FLOODED but the ruins are high enough up they were not effected. While the trip is long our tour guide "Flavor Flave" was really good. I hear the main difference is that Lamani has 3 temples that are in GREAT conditions while the other place have around 8-12 smaller features with 1 temple. You do need to get off on the first or second tender and you will make it back by the second to the last tender so there will not be much time for shopping. That being said the trip is amazing you first get to tour the country side by bus for about an hour then you switch to a boat where you stop and see all types of flowers and animals. Once you arrive at Lamani you eat a Wonderful home made lunch of Chicken (in sauce) rice, beans, some CRAZY HOT onion salad and more. There is also soda and water provided. Then you tour the ruins wear REALLY GOOD shoes and head back. Totally worth the $75 charged by our tour operator. As far as getting on the first two tenders talk to the front desk the night before and explain that you have a trip that leaves at 8:30 to lamani. They were able to get a group of 10 of us off on the first tender even though they said they would "Try"

The second option which did not go the day I went is Cave Tubeing. You will hear people have died doing this which I can see happening if you fall out of your tube and everyone rolls over you however It is a rarely. People who have been to Belize before said it is AMAZING to get into a tube with a headlamp on and travel through the tubes. That all being said do not prepay for this trip. Make sure the tubing is still happening with the ship before you go off on your own. The safest way to do this excursion is not with the ship as the groups tend to be smaller so if an accident should happen you are only run over by a few tubes not 50. I also recommends staying to the back of the group.

Last option is to take the ferry to some island where the snorkling and beaches are good. Sorry I can not remember the name. Some of the cruise critic members went and had a blast. Sorry I am not able to rember the name however the Ferry is just to the left of the cruise terminal when the water is behind you.

PS I would not recommend an "Island Tour" not really much to see from what I saw

1808681031_Frstruin.jpg.83ab1c6551fab11c6b2e72ca2eced21a.jpg

1922401232_Firstruin2.jpg.3c644d1ae73db61155d742c8803b163a.jpg

83804116_secondruin.jpg.49605fd1ca49ad28d4118917977aad87.jpg

917505437_thirdruin.jpg.60392ee4e8600a3c57f5e83ed57f6247.jpg

I will suggest the tubing and zip line for Belize Port. We did it with Action Boys Belize. It was a blast zipping through the canopy of the rain forest. The tubing was very relaxing, the Belize zoo was beautiful. Stop at a local restaurant for lunch. This is a one of a kind excursion.

I recommend the zip line and cave tubing.

We went to Altun Ha to see the Mayan temples(see pics). It's about a 4 hr trip. It is easy to walk around the temple grounds and you can climb most of them. Took a short tour of the city(not a whole lot to see!!).

Reviews about Lamanai are also very good, but it is a much longer trip (6-7 hrs). You need to be up and off the ship as soon as it tenders.

enjoy:)

alutn2.jpg.916cdcb1d99bfb53740f732f3bf26e0f.jpg

alutn3.jpg.8bcc0a4a2d8fba89590d4c034735cd12.jpg

We just got back last week and did the cave tubing thru Nacho & Cynthia of NCQ Adventures. It was awesome. Got to do 2 caves and had the entire cave to ourselves. We got there before the bigger companies and got a private tour! Amazingly beautiful and Nacho was a super tour guide. It included lunch at a beautiful resort in the middle of the rain forest-our trip to Belize would not have been the same without this tour.

If you like adventure, the ziplining is fantastic.

The cavetubing is supposed to be great. I have not done this yet, but would love to if I make it back to Belize.

You are visiting a reef system second only to the Great Barrier Reef off Austrailia. The reef system is amazing. I could have stayed in the water for a week looking at everything under the water. If you like to dive or snorkel, this is well worth it. Take several underwater cameras. I used all of mine film and could have used 20 more!

Thanks for the help!!

This website will give you alote of info

http://www.islandexpeditions.com/index2.html

Enjoy :D

We are going back to Belize in February and are doing the ATV Tour through the Rain Forest and Cave Tubing. We are using cave-tubing.com.

We have done Cave Tubing in Belize before and LOVE it. It is very safe and something you will never forget.

We always book with Independent Tour Operators as you get a more personal tour and it not crowded like the ship sponsored excursions. AND it's ALOT cheaper than what the ship charges.

***FYI***Save the Zipling for Costa Rica.....it's the best place we've seen yet to Zip Line and the views are breathtaking!:D

• 2 weeks later...

I wore Keen Newports at every port we stopped at. They're like a sandal and shoe combined. I wore them walking in the water along the beach in Muhahual, on a muddy/slippery jungle hike in Livingston, Guatemala and on the Altun Ha site tour in Belize. At the end of the muddy hike, I just dipped my feet into the bay and rinsed them right off--they looked good as new. Very comfortable too for the "Fred Flintstone" feet among us!

We did Altun Ha December 18, 2008 and loved it. Our guide really made the difference, otherwise you might not find the site that interesting. We used Action Boys Belize and got the owner, Donald Ramirez, as our tour guide. Donald is lots of fun and really made the excursion alot of fun. Our family enjoyed it very much.

I liked Altun Ha also because you do have time to go shopping or take in a bit of the town. Lamanai sounds incredible, but, it was such a long day and our first time cruising, we opted for the closer ruins site.

I've come to the realization that from now on my research on sites will include questions about the knowledge of the tour guides. I think almost all will give you good service, but, it's the presentation and the information the guide gives you that can make or break what you get from the experience.

We are sailing Jan. 11th and are booked on the Cave-tubing tour, some of our group want to do the ATV also. I am concerned if there is enough time to do both and get back in time to the ship. it sails at 5pm. Not knowing how soon we can get off the ship worries me. We are booked with cave tubing.com also. read very good reviews about them. What was your experience.:confused:

Jeanne

Archived