Question on Getting Price Reductions on HAL

Chelly

Two questions: I booked a HAL TA cruise for October 2009, paid required deposit.....

1) Is there a chance there will be price reductions before final payment date?

Also booked cruise/air because HAL's price was way cheaper than anything I or my travel agent could find.

2)Is there a chance the cruise/air price could be reduced?

Thank you veteran cruisers for answering.

Keep checking HAL's website for a price reduction for your cruise.

Since we booked our Alaska 2009 cruise the price has gone down several times now for a total of $2026. Our TA got us the price reductions each time and recently even got us a Free (okay $26) hotel stay through HAL for the night before the cruise in Vancouver BC. She told us that every time she has gotten the Free (okay $26) stay for a client the night before it was at the Fairmont. No guarantees but that would be nice.:D

Can't help you with the cruise air question, but your TA or HAL should be able to answer any questions you might have.

If you don't have a TA just call HAL.

Have a great cruise.

Chelly, a question - when did you book your air for Oct/09? I've been dealing with a PCC at HAL and she tells me that the air fares for Canada - Athens return aren't available for Oct/09 yet. Just wondering.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

Chelly, a question - when did you book your air for Oct/09? I've been dealing with a PCC at HAL and she tells me that the air fares for Canada - Athens return aren't available for Oct/09 yet. Just wondering.

My understanding is that you can't book airline flights until 330 days in advance of your trip (for round trips it is until 330 days in advance of your return flight). Also, the price of the flight is not guaranteed until final payment is made for the entire cruise if you are using the cruise line/air and it may go up even though the cruise line has quoted you a lower price when you made your deposit for the cruise.

You can verify this information with your travel agent or the cruise line.

I have HAL's custom air arranged through my travel agent. My agent was able to select the flights to Barcelona (Oct 15), but has to wait a few more days to select the return from Ft Lauderdale (Nov 2).

You can get a price reduction prior to final payment as long as it is not for "New Bookings only".

That's just a technicality, though. If it's for new bookings only, your TA can just cancel and rebook you. Problem solved. If you are not picky about your cabin ... meaning that you want a certain cabin and that cabin only ... then there is no problem with doing this. The only other problem you could encounter (if you consider it a problem) is if you were confirmed for fixed dining, you could lose that and have to switch to flexible. But it's even possible you could get that changed once onboard.

Blue skies ...

--rita

That's just a technicality, though. If it's for new bookings only, your TA can just cancel and rebook you. Problem solved. If you are not picky about your cabin ... meaning that you want a certain cabin and that cabin only ... then there is no problem with doing this. The only other problem you could encounter (if you consider it a problem) is if you were confirmed for fixed dining, you could lose that and have to switch to flexible. But it's even possible you could get that changed once onboard.

Blue skies ...

--rita

That is something that I do not recommend as it will most likely cancel any pre-existing condition waiver for any insurance plan. Everyone I have read has conditions that to qualify for a pre-existing condition waiver it has to be the first and only booking. So, I would only recommend canceling and re-booking with very great caution. Buyer Beware.

That is something that I do not recommend as it will most likely cancel any pre-existing condition waiver for any insurance plan. Everyone I have read has conditions that to qualify for a pre-existing condition waiver it has to be the first and only booking. So, I would only recommend canceling and re-booking with very great caution. Buyer Beware.

Earlier this year there was a large reduction in the fares for a cruise I had booked...I contacted my online TA...I received a new booking number and as a result I had to re-book all my tours...I then contacted the insurance company and received a reduction in the premium because of the lower fare...No mention by the agent that it had to be the first and only booking to qualify for a pre-existing condition...I can't find anything in my policy that stated this...Of course one should check their insurance policy to see what it actually says...Has anyone re-booked and actually had a question about pre-existing conditions?

Earlier this year there was a large reduction in the fares for a cruise I had booked...I contacted my online TA...I received a new booking number and as a result I had to re-book all my tours...I then contacted the insurance company and received a reduction in the premium because of the lower fare...No mention by the agent that it had to be the first and only booking to qualify for a pre-existing condition...I can't find anything in my policy that stated this...Of course one should check their insurance policy to see what it actually says...Has anyone re-booked and actually had a question about pre-existing conditions?

Which policy? HTH and CSA Luxe have this and you can see it right on insuremytrip.com and squaremouth.com

Someone posted over a year ago regarding someone who canceled and re-booked to pick up insurance after he had a heart attack. He thought he was covered and then was medivaced from the ship. Insurance denied the request and it was over $60,000.00. I have the same questions because this happened to me earlier in the year on a HAL cruise when the TA "re-booked" with a new booking number but same cabin and insurance. It was HAL's plan that had to be paid for at deposit (back in 2007). I don't think I would have a had problem because I would have argued it was all HAL's behind the scenes paperwork but would have been concerned if I had some other policy as the guidelines are very strict with the policy needing to be paid at 7 or 14 days after initial deposit. I noticed the HTH language right away because I was looking for a policy that could be paid at final payment and covered pre-existing conditions. The way I read it a cancellation and re-booking would not qualify.

Look and tell us what you think?

HTH (all the ones I have looked at say the same thing)

Pre-Existing Conditions

PRE-EXISTING CONDITION means an illness, disease, or other condition during the 180-day period immediately prior to your effective date for which you or your Traveling Companion or Family Member:

1. received, or received a recommendation for a diagnostic test, examination, or medical treatment; or
  2. took or received a prescription for drugs or medicine.

Item 2 of this definition does not apply to a condition which is treated or controlled solely through the taking of prescription drugs or medicine and remains treated or controlled without any adjustment or change in the required prescription throughout the 180-day period before coverage is effective under this Policy.

Waiver of the Pre-Existing Condition Exclusion

The Pre-Existing Condition Exclusion is waived provided you meet all of the following requirements:

1. the payment for this plan is received prior to/or within 24 hours of your final payment for your Covered Trip; and
  2. you are not disabled from travel at the time you make your plan payment; and
  3. the booking for the Covered Trip must be the first and only booking for this travel period and destination."

. It was HAL's plan that had to be paid for at deposit (back in 2007). I don't think I would have a had problem because I would have argued it was all HAL's behind the scenes paperwork but would have been concerned if I had some other policy as the guidelines are very strict with the policy needing to be paid at 7 or 14 days after initial deposit.

I used Access America...I paid for the policy right after paying the deposit on the cruise so I would be covered for existing conditions...In order to receive the lower fare HAL gave me a new booking number...I sailed on the same ship, same date, and same cabin...I didn't ask HAL to cancel the cruise booking...Apparently they sometimes do this when they reduce the fare...I don't see anything in my policy that said I would not be covered for pre-existing conditions just because I received a new booking number.. The cruise is over but it would be interesting to hear frome others who have re-booked to receive a lower fare.

Archived