Review of the "In Stateroom" babysitting on RCCL

helpmenew2crusing

We just got back tonight so I'm going to make this quick.

I have two children DS is 7 and DD is 13 months old. My 7 year old went to the Kids club and the following is the times we had the babysitting and what we had them do.

It was and Indy of the Seas 8 night cruise with 3 sea days.

Every night(but the 1st night) 7pm - 10pm

and also on the last two sea days from 1pm - 4pm

We had the same woman every night... I loved her... I wish I could have taken her home. (We have never hired a babysitter before for either of our two children)

Once again she was outstanding... every night she would take her out for a walk in the stroller like to the Windjammer or the Royal Babies playgroup. I picked this time because I wanted to get ready for dinner with out having to attend to anyone but myself :) and to cover dinner.

After the 1st at sea day we deceided it would be nice to spend sometime just with our son at the pool and enjoy the adult pool as well. We had two different women for those days both very nice. They watched her for her nap and then took her to the Windjammer and to the playgroups.

We had a great time and the babysitting was excellent. I think they really liked being able to get out of the room with the baby instead of just sitting around waiting for us to come back.

I hope I gave some helpfull info... if you have any questions ask away.

Kim

^That's great to hear! I'm still trying to convince my mother that it will be okay to try the babysitting a couple of nights for her one and only grandchild! (aka my almost 2 year old daughter!)

Do they ask you for permission to leave the cabin? Did you really feel comfortable with this? Can you tell them that they can go around the ship but not outdoors? Did you book all of the babysitting times right away or were you able to add on different times later? How much did it cost per hour?

Sorry for all of the questions, I just want to get this all sorted! I promise I will post a review when we get back as well!

It is great to hear that they have more extensive times available. My only experience with in-cabin sitting was years ago on Celebrity and it was limited to 8PM and later and no daytime hours at all.

I think it is great that you used it. I did use it too when my son was little and was pleased with the women who babysat.

Thankyou for posting your experience, we are off on the Explorer soon and and would like to use the babysitting for our 2yr old, however still feel a little unsure so it is nice to hear it worked so well for you, it has made me more settled about it. I think we will give it a whirl.

^That's great to hear! I'm still trying to convince my mother that it will be okay to try the babysitting a couple of nights for her one and only grandchild! (aka my almost 2 year old daughter!)

Do they ask you for permission to leave the cabin? Did you really feel comfortable with this? Can you tell them that they can go around the ship but not outdoors? Did you book all of the babysitting times right away or were you able to add on different times later? How much did it cost per hour?

Sorry for all of the questions, I just want to get this all sorted! I promise I will post a review when we get back as well!

Yes, they asked if they could take her out of the room... I don't think a lot of people say yes... but I have to say each of the women were so wonderful and it gave the child and them something to do besides look at each other in a tiny cabin. Like I said this was the 1st time we had a babysitter for either of our children and it was excellent. We did have to dodge and elevator a couple of time so that DD would not see us... It was so cute. Ans at night the lady would walk her around and give her dinner and hang out going up and down the promenade. I booked all of my night babysitting right away. By the way my cousin was also on the ship and they did the same times as we did but they had to girls for their babysitter to watch 2 and 5 yrs. So the two babysitters knew each other and would meet in the Windjammer at night.

I let them go where ever they wanted, however during one at sea day I noticed the playgroup looked like it was going to be outside...and I just told her I didn't want her out in the sun because I had not put on any sun tan lotion. The woman said if it was in the sun she would not stay. Perfect answer.

Yes, my cousin's wife came up with the babysitting for the at sea days during the day so we added that after. The only thing is because it was during the day we would not have the same girl at night because she was already working for the ship.

I have to say again that I was totally comfortable with them taking her any where they wanted to go... she was always fast a sleep and in her port-a-crib (which was very clean and looked like new) when we got back from dinner at 10pm every night.

we paid her:

1st night = $40 for 3 hours

2nd- 3rd - 4th - 5th = $30 for 3 hours

6th = $40 for 3 hours

7th = $40 for 3 hours and a tip of $40

the girls during the day (we just paid them the going rate $10) they were great but because we saw the same girl at night and had a relationship with her we gave her more. I did get her address so I could send her pictures of the baby.

I'm a stay at home mom so we had to save this money for the babysitting and make sure it didn't cut into our "home" budget and didn't cut into our "vacation" budget. I got a temp. job for 3 weeks at night to pay for it.

Any other questions??

Just a note: The babysitters really enjoy when they are allowed to leave the cabin. For some who work deep in the ship this is their only opportunity to enjoy the ships public spaces. I see them pushing strollers around the deck, or getting a snack in the Windjammer. They are so attentive of the kids that they are in charge of that I would have no reservations with allowing them to leave the "boring" cabin.

We too had a great experience with the RCCL staff and babysitting. However, we only used them at night when our son was sleeping so they didn't have a choice but to hang out in the cabin. However, the sitters were great and made us feel very comfortable leaving our son in their care.

So good to know! We just came off the same cruise with you, and our DD is 8 1/2 months old, so we didn't get to utilize the babysitters. I'm definitely going to mention this to DH for our next cruise. It would be nice to have some vacation time to myself!

We were on Freedom of the Seas in June..used sitting every night for our 2 year old son. Sitter came at 7 every night. She would take our son out for a walk/dinner while we got ready for evening. She would bring son back at 8:30 bathe him, play time, and bed. We stayed out until 12 or 1. She was wonderful!!!. We were lucky enough to win a free cruise on that cruise so we are headed back to the Freedom again in February. I had taken her name when we left..so hopefully she is still with them. Would like to use her again. Son will be 3 by next cruise, so I might use kids club..if potty training is complete!!...but it is nice to have hime tucked in bed when you get back to room..we will see...I gave sitter 75 dollars a night..

• 1 month later...

Hi

Just a quick question, could you have a babysitter and do a tour for 3 hours? When in Port? I know tours can run late, and say something happened on the tour... I just wondered if you have to stay onboard if you have a babysitter?

I still think I would find it hard to leave him as I am a clingy mum!

K

You do not need to stay onboard with a babysitter on RCCL. I went onshore while my 2 y.o. was being babysat. We had had the same babysitter for several days prior to our excursion. The excursion was about 3 hours. I'm not a normally clingy mom, but I was very nervous and didn't enjoy myself much.

Quick couple of questions. IOS Feb 15th sailing.

Where does one go to register for in room babysitting? Can you do it pre-boarding or only after?

We have 3 and 7 yr old and would most likely only use it at night, probably after they go to sleep. We have a Jr suite, what does the sitter do if the kids are asleep since it is only one room?

Thanks

I made a list of times that I wanted sitter before we left. When you get on ship go to desk and put in request. They will call you and let you know if they can honor your sitting request. You can not do this before you go. I had days and times down on paper and just gave them one copy and kept one for myself. Was a great experience. We leaving on the 15th Freedom of the Seas...son will be old enough for kids club...but will use sitting at night. Was nice to come back to room and have him all tucked in bed...we had a junior suite on last cruise and sitter sat and watched tv or read. We have owners suite this cruise so probably more room for her to move around...have fun!!!

I made a list of times that I wanted sitter before we left. When you get on ship go to desk and put in request. They will call you and let you know if they can honor your sitting request. You can not do this before you go. I had days and times down on paper and just gave them one copy and kept one for myself. Was a great experience. We leaving on the 15th Freedom of the Seas...son will be old enough for kids club...but will use sitting at night. Was nice to come back to room and have him all tucked in bed...we had a junior suite on last cruise and sitter sat and watched tv or read. We have owners suite this cruise so probably more room for her to move around...have fun!!!

Sounds like a plan. Thanks BTW which "desk" do you go to :)

That was great you had the same babysitter, can you request a specific babysitting? Because if I did the tour and got a babysitter I would have wanted my son to see the babysitter beforehand, Oh how I wish my mum and dad and dh mum and dad would come on a cruise with us!

Thanks for all your info!

Kirsty

You do not need to stay onboard with a babysitter on RCCL. I went onshore while my 2 y.o. was being babysat. We had had the same babysitter for several days prior to our excursion. The excursion was about 3 hours. I'm not a normally clingy mom, but I was very nervous and didn't enjoy myself much.

I believe it was the guest relations desk. We hope to use the same sitter that we used in June. I took her name on the last cruise because when I found out I had won this cruise and had to take by May I knew there was a good chance we would be on the same ship because we loved the kids water zone. She was getting off the ship the same day as we were to go home for 4 months. If she decided to renew contract she will be there again now we hope. Can't wait only 9 days!!!!

Archived