Poll: Favorite Port for Southern Carribean

jlane

Of all the great islands on the So. Caribbean track, which is your favorite and why?  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Of all the great islands on the So. Caribbean track, which is your favorite and why?

Jamie,

I have to agree about "experiencing" the island for its own culture.

I frequently read that Jamaica is "not" a favorite island of many people. When I went last year on a western caribbean cruise, it was by far, by favorite island (vs. Caymen, Cozumel).

The primary reason is that I did book a tour with Oscar in Ocho Rios. He gave us an awesome tour of the island, some wonderful insights into the culture, and some great hints into the extra excursions we booked with him (we climbed the falls with only four us vs. the hundreds I've read about).

That is why I posted this poll. I'm curious about everyone's thoughts for the islands I'm visiting in only 62 more days. I can not wait!!!!

Thanks everyone for your posts!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Of the 5 I've only been to San Juan and St. Thomas and would have to say that St. Thomas would be my favorite now. It's such a beautiful place and the view from Paradise Point is breath taking. But ask me later this year after our Liberty cruise and our visit to Tortola/Virgin Gorda and Antigua.

1. Dominica - unspoiled, gorgeous rain forest island with super friendly people - unlike most typical Caribbean islands

2. Barbados - beautiful water, wonderful beaches, great restaurants - I look forward to going again.

3.Puero Rico - if you get past San Juan, there is so much to see and experience. Spent 1 day pre-cruise and 3 days post cruise so really got to see more than OSJ.

4. Aruba - colorful, clean, overrated - rented a car, saw most of the island, swam at Baby beach, ate at Charlie's bar, but still was disappointed in the island.

5. St Thomas - tired of it. same shops, same touristy stuff. I'll go to St Kitts instead next time

Can I let you know next year? St. Maarten, Barbados and Martinique is the Legend's Southern route, and I haven't been on any of them yet!

I've been on the Legend's southern route, what a great 8 day cruise! Barbados was good, but we really had a good time in Martinique. You dock in a bad area, but the island is very scenic. We had heard about the rude people and the "Anti-American" feeling from others on this board. (This was a few months before the war in Iraq started.) So we booked a Carnival tour, something we don't often do. They took us via boat to a remote beach, it was incredible. Others on the boat said it looked just like Hawaii. People on the cruise who just "walked around town" or tried to do something on their own came back hating the place. We had one of our best port-days on any cruise.

Archived