Just Off the Fantasy~~Will Never Sail Carnival Again

AquaWtr4me

You guys all really bring up some valid points that I guess I really had not thought about before.

I should not judge Carnival from this one experience as my sailing with them in the past was fun. I may one day try again, but DH never will. I'm just glad this wasn't his first cruise or we would never be cruising again.

My first cruise ever on RCCL was so bad I seriously considered cancelling my Alaskan cruise with Carnival...Good thing I didnt!..I LOVE cruising and have learned not to sail older ships and if I ever do again I will be realistic with my expectations..:)

Kelly

To poster:

I've said "I'll never sail Carnival again," many times, so I giggled when I read your post. Here I go again...on the Legend Sunday Dec. 14. Why? Because I've found that the cost per square meter of fun, even with mediocre service and other compromises is so much less that I accept the trade-off. I'm in my eighties, yes 80's, still HAL bores me to death, even if it suits thousands of passengers who simply want to relax. On Carnival I go "ocean view" for less than "inside" on other lines. When you live in Florida, cruising is almost a way of life because we don't have that little extra called "airfare" to pay. I liked best the Odessa's small ship called the Gruziya...gone but not forgotten.

What has bothered me most about Carnival is that they really don't seem to care about their reputation when they have "price" going for them. Cold food. Passengers who appear in the Lido dining room wearing tank tops that expose their underarm hair and fat bellies. Worst for me is the amount of smoking you have to contend with in public areas, rowdy kids, not to mention supposed grown-ups who stagger down the hallways of the lower decks late at night laughing and being obnoxious. I've been assigned the cabin under the galley which was a nightmare and complained day and night for three days before they "found" another cabin for me. You'd think I'd never sail Carnival again. Still, I've convinced myself to forget the negatives, dance the night away and eat only what looks appetizing. And enjoy the price tag. I'd sail Celebrity for all round quality and price, but the convenience of Tampa embarkation and the simple "getaway" factor keeps leading me back to Carnival...hate to admit it.

MMC

Don't read "..never again" posts. They are all about the same. OK so don't go Carnival again - hurt my feelings - NOT. Been on 13 and ready for another and I have very good tastes, style, class and grace. I am not poor but I am a long way from a millionaire - I am working on my second million now - the first was too hard to get ha ha. When anyone says "I will never go on that line again." I already know what's coming. It's the same every time. Go to another line --- please!! I don't wnat you on the same ship with me if thats all you can do is complain. A cruise is what you make it - you make it bad - its bad - end of dicussion.

I haven't read all the other posts, but I can imagine what most of them said. I am a devoted Carnival cruiser, BUT my take on this is that I have sailed on the Fantasy, and it is not likely that I will choose that ship again. I was also in a suite, but it was a category 11....hardly worth the extra $$. The crew seemed to have a bad attitude, which I have not encountered on the 4 other Carnival ships I've sailed on.....Conquest, Glory, Miracle, & Ecstasy. I've said this before, and I will say it again.....The crew of the Fantasy seemed very unprofessional, when compared to other Carnival ships. When I was on the Fantasy, we also experienced delayed debarkation at ALL ports (including from NOLA, without explanation), and it did affect our private excursion at Cozumel.

I think it would be foolish of you to judge the entire cruise line based on this one experience. If you were to choose a cat. 12 suite on the Conquest, I am positive you would come away with a very different opinion of Carnival. (The remark by the other poster that you'll find only 2nd class ships at Galveston is WAY off base, and you should not accept that opinion as fact. The Conquest is first class all the way.) Based on your past cruising experience, you definitely chose the wrong ship this time. I'm not going to beg you to try another Carnival ship; that is your choice. But I think you would be much more satisfied with your cruising experience on a different Carnival ship. Or perhaps you should return to RCCL, if you are more comfortable on their ships.....

Sorry your experience on the Fantasy wasn't what you wanted. As several pointed out, she is an old lady who had a "minor" face lift but yet we still like to see her sail. Yes, there are problems -the sewer smell especially but I think each ship has it's problems. I've sailed several lines, including Cunard, and guess what - I just booked the Carnival Dream for next December. I guess I just like the the overall Carnival experience and am willing to accept some problems when they present themselves - and I'm booked on the Fantasy -again - in February.

Ahh fantasy, she was our first cruise....sigh. Of course she was very young then. I have said it a thousand times, it is not necessarly the cruise like the what you want in a ship. Dont write off Carnival, they have some beautiful ships and some older ships that have lots of character too. Just do your research first.

To the OP. After reading some of your comments, you really come off sounding like a rich, spoiled brat. Who doesn't get their way, you go running to some one, swearing you'll never see me again. For such an 'experienced' cruiser, you sure didn't do one bit of research. Just pay your money and expect to be treated like royalty. On the Fantasy, HA.

We sailed the Fantasy last year on a back to back cruise. Sure it wasn't the top of the line, but it sure was one of the cheapest cruises out there, what would you expect from the oldest ship in the fleet??. For me, just getting on ANY ship is fine. I do not have the money for suites, so I look for the cheapest way to cruise. As was said several times, ANY cruise is a good cruise.

Sure the Fantasy showed her age, but I kind of like the size and a little personality to a ship. Fact is, I thought the service was terrific, as they do try and make up for some of the 'rust' with better service. The shows were great, the activities good. The only thing I found negative was there just weren't more days to enjoy cruising.

I sailed on the old NCL Norway. it was also a rather inexpensive ship in her time, and we just loved it. Many hated it as it didn't have all the modern conveniences, but it had charm and grace. It put me on the sea, fed me, and helped me enjoy a great week away from home.

Not to make an issue of it again, but you are right, you get what you pay for, but when you think you have gotten a lemon, you could stand there and complain to high heaven, or make some lemonade and enjoy yourself.

Try the Queen Mary, she may be more to your liking.

Captain Pier Paolo Scala took over the helm of the Fantasy about 2 weeks ago. He does wonders with the Fantasy Class ships, and his crews adore him.

He won't be there long, but I expect he will institute some changes for the better.

I am not dogging NO, but they put the "least desireable" ships along the gulf coast: Galveston, NO, Mobile, ect. The favorites, Splendor, Freedom, Liberty, Miracle, Legend, ect are all out of FL. Even the other cruiselines do the same. RC, NCL.

I have to wonder if this was true why did they have the Inaugural Season for the Conquest out of New Orleans?

To the OP. After reading some of your comments, you really come off sounding like a rich, spoiled brat. Who doesn't get their way, you go running to some one, swearing you'll never see me again. For such an 'experienced' cruiser, you sure didn't do one bit of research. Just pay your money and expect to be treated like royalty. On the Fantasy, HA.

You know posts like this really irk me........ just because someone has different priorities or tastes does not make them spoiled, rich or selfish:rolleyes: And I might add the op did not come off that way to me........

No she didn't do her research......but sometimes that isn't even full proof..........evidently the Fantasy was not getting this bad of reviews until the first week out of dry dock......what about those unforeseen events on that cruise.........that cruise would not have lived up to my expectations either........

Sure once onboard you have no choice but to try to make the best of it.....but it still doesn't change the fact that some people believe they could have spent their money elsewhere and had a better time.....nothing wrong with that.........

There are 2 Carnival ships that I have sailed on and they will never get my money again......and I definitely won't sail on the Fantasy......does that make me spoiled, rich or selfish:confused:

You know posts like this really irk me........ just because someone has different priorities or tastes does not make them spoiled, rich or selfish:rolleyes: And I might add the op did not come off that way to me........

No she didn't do her research......but sometimes that isn't even full proof..........evidently the Fantasy was not getting this bad of reviews until the first week out of dry dock......what about those unforeseen events on that cruise.........that cruise would not have lived up to my expectations either........

Sure once onboard you have no choice but to try to make the best of it.....but it still doesn't change the fact that some people believe they could have spent their money elsewhere and had a better time.....nothing wrong with that.........

There are 2 Carnival ships that I have sailed on and they will never get my money again......and I definitely won't sail on the Fantasy......does that make me spoiled, rich or selfish:confused:

Bravo Kurb.. You basically said what I was going to...

And what if the OP didnt belong to CC.. You know Carnival is not going to say- "Oh no OP, you dont want the crappy Fantasy.... "

When someone books a cruise through a reputable company like Carnival... They expect top notch service and accomodations.. Age is irrelevant...

The argument that it's a cheap cruise does not and should not come into the equation.. All (except NYC) cruises are 'cheap' right now...

Spoiled? I think not... Unreasonable Expectations? not!

I don't post much, but I enjoy reading the cruise stories. I have to say, whenever anyone has a bad experience, so many of you jump the poster, calling names (spoiled brat), etc. - why? Should only positive things be posted on the boards? I don't think so.

I like VIP treatment and whenever we can afford a suite - we go for it. I was thinking about sailing out of NO, but now I know if I want to do that - stick to an oceanview and not to expect much. I thank the OP for that. If the ship stinks - hey, I want to know that too.

Several years ago we were on Splendour of the Seas and there were posts going around about the bathroom by the theater stinking so bad you could smell it in certain seats inside the theater. Thankfully, I knew not to sit in those seats, thanks to the CC boards.

We should thank those who do decide to share a bad experience - knowing that they will be flamed but going for it anyway - in the long run, we all take what we need to know, make our own decisions and are more informed.

Happy sailing

Kurbanfan, you might be glad (or appalled) that there are at least some things we agree on. :D ;)

I also don't think the OP is "spoiled" or any of that other nonsense. The only sin, if you can call it that, was to not do the research and learn that suites on Carnival come with very few perks.

I don't mean to pick a fight here, but even never having sailed before (first cruise is this weekend), I could have told you nearly everything in your post. You booked on the oldest and smallest ship of what is generally a cheaper, less formal, less perk-giving cruise line (versus RCCL or celebrity or perhaps NCL with its absurd villa suites).

You say the ship felt small and old.... it IS small and old. Your prior cruise according your sig was a ship almost double the size, and 16 years newer!

You seem astonished by the lack of VIP treatment, but nearly every review I read when I was picking a cruise line mentioned that carnival doesn't go the extra mile for suites like some others. Admittedly the patheticly confused VIP boarding situation is unique to New Orleans, and thats something they should fix or stop advertising.

Im not quixotically defending carnival here-- Ive not sailed them yet and have no personal opinions yet, but your post seems to me rather like someone traveling to London and being horrifed when it rains. :confused:

I'll be flying southwest down to my cruise this weekend. Last time I flew I was in business class on BA. But I won't be here complaining about southwests failure to live up to that.

For an inexperienced cruiser, you know a lot more than the OP. Good for you. That is why I spend all my time on cruise critic so I can find out all the things I need to know about my cruise, my ship, my ports, embarkation etc. Very good post and I couldn't have said it any better. I've not been on this ship - do you wonder why? I've done my research.

Nope, not at all. It's just means that you did some homework and made a decision based upon reviews such as the Op's which HELP all of us to make good decisions on which ships/itineraries to choose when spending hard earned dollars on a cruise.

Giant'sfan, you must be really in a pissy mood after your loss this past weekend.

Chill out a little.

Kurbanfan, you might be glad (or appalled) that there are at least some things we agree on. :D ;)

LOL...ditto :p

Archived