Advice Please: NCL Pearl or Dawn OR Carn Triumph

Cruisin Kay D

I'm looking at 3 options for last 2 wks in March to take 6 grandkids (ages 9-16) on a cruise and these are the 3 ships where we can get connecting quad balcony/mini-suite cabins.

Pearl & Triumph are western itineraries; Dawn is eastern.

Per my signature, we have cruised alot, but haven't been on either NCL or Carnival.

4 of the 6 have been on RCCL cruise with us; 2 of 6 were on Carnival once with parents.

Just need some comments/ideas/thoughts from some of you who have been on these 2 lines and even these ships or similar ones with pre-teens & teens.

Would 1 or other have too many "wild" college-aged spring breakers?

We have cruised both NCL Pearl (with kids in Alaska) and Carnival Triumph (without kids in S. Caribbean). I absolutely loved the Pearl. The Triumph was nice too, but when my kids (then 11 & 12) talk about going on another cruise, they want to know where the Pearl goes!

When hubby & I were on the Triumph, while we loved the cruise, we found the buffet lines extraordinarily long, which would've been a problem for the kids. Food was more easily availalble-and more varied- on the Pearl.

Do be aware that bowling costs extra. I think it was $5 per game per person. That was something we reserved only for sea days, and only a couple games.

We have cruised both NCL Pearl (with kids in Alaska) and Carnival Triumph (without kids in S. Caribbean). I absolutely loved the Pearl. The Triumph was nice too, but when my kids (then 11 & 12) talk about going on another cruise, they want to know where the Pearl goes!

When hubby & I were on the Triumph, while we loved the cruise, we found the buffet lines extraordinarily long, which would've been a problem for the kids. Food was more easily availalble-and more varied- on the Pearl.

Do be aware that bowling costs extra. I think it was $5 per game per person. That was something we reserved only for sea days, and only a couple games.

Cruisin Kay may have decided on the Triumph, but we're about to sail on the Pearl in just three weeks, so I was very happy to read your post about how much your kids enjoyed it. Our daughter is 10 and looking forward to our third NCL cruise. The only unfortunate thing will be her knee splint, so no climbing wall, but I'll bet she'll be able to work around it to bowl! :)

Archived