Taxi

LindaKE

I finally convinced DH to not go on the Princess excursion by showing him comments about the transportation. We want to tour the island, but we want to do it comfortably. Will we be able to choose a taxi that will have comfortable seating or will all transportation be pretty much the same as what Princess provides? Same question for Tortola.

Hello Linda,

The most popular used at the cruise ship docks is a safari. They are open air converted trucks. You are sitting in the bed of the truck basically but this is also the area that is converted with benches, covered area, hand rails ect... no seat belts. There are taxi vans which are usually air conditioned, closed vans with regular car type seats. And there are a few people that have cars or suvs for taxiing - you see them less at the cruise dock but they would of course have the typical car seats. So your options will likely be a safari or van.

Not sure that answered your question??

--Islander

Thanks, Islander. Yes you answered my question, but now I have another. Will a van taxi take just 2 people? Where would one find the regular car type taxi? Is there some way to contact one of the regular car type taxi to request that they pick us up at the dock?

The post that convinced DH to forgo the ship's excurion talked about how uncomfortable the ride was. If you have ever ridden in a safari, do you agree with that?

Hello Linda,

Will a van taxi take just 2 people?

Yes, you have to request a private tour or private taxi - you will pay a bit more for this. Price is negociable with the driver but do keep the standard rate in mind.

Where would one find the regular car type taxi? Is there some way to contact one of the regular car type taxi to request that they pick us up at the dock?

There are sometimes a few at the cruise dock or the dispatcher can call one for you.

If you have ever ridden in a safari, do you agree with that?

I have ridden in a safari. The seats are benches with a little padding, some I have seen have none, the nicer ones do though. So like sitting on any bench for 2 hours your butt is going to feel it particular since the bench is connected to wheels and you are going up and down hills and around corners. It isn't too bad and can be fun. The other consideration is most times a driver will fill his safari to make the most of the tour $$ wise and being sandwiched into a bench can be uncomfortable.

Cbryteach,

What is a taxi cost from pier to Magen's Bay?

There is a taxi cost and time it takes table for popular beaches and locations cruise passengers usually go to from the pier at: http://*****/general_usvi/cruiseship/cruiseguide_page3.php

Also, is there a fee into Magen's Bay?

Yes there is. Entry Fee: Adults $3 ($1/residents), Car $1, Kids .25 cents

Do you know what the chair rental fee is here?

I think its around $7 plus a refundable deposit.

Is the pier Red Hook?

A cruiseship pier, No. There is a ferry & barge dock and several marinas.

--Islander

Archived