Increase In Cancellations?

I spoke with my TA yesterday and she said the new booking are really slow, but not too many cancellations. We are about 10 days from final payment for our upcoming Panama Canal cruise and we are going:D!! We have already saved the entire amount (including air, tips, excursions, etc) so we are pretty comfortable with the decision to go. I am starting to notice cabins open up on our sailing, but doesn't seem like more than normal as final payment approaches. We have gotten several price reductions on this sailing, but all were before the economy went really bad. Prices have remained stable the last several months, with a number of categories sold out. The Royal Suite came available last week, but only lasted 3 days before someone grabbed it at $7,000+ pp:eek:. There goes my chance for a pier upgrade to the Royal Suite:p

We booked the Jewel of the Seas out of Boston - balcony room is high (still) $1300 PP, airfare ($500) hotel ($500). We have never been but with everyone talking about the eco - we could get a lot more bang! for our dollar if we took a trip out of Miami.

Question: We book directly with RCCL and got the $200 balcony credit, if we change our minds while we are on the Liberty will we get the on board credit and the $200 since it is before 1/1/09?

I would love your opinion. Also, it is my "special" birthday.

[quote name='barbie5401']We booked the Jewel of the Seas out of Boston - balcony room is high (still) $1300 PP, airfare ($500) hotel ($500). We have never been but with everyone talking about the eco - we could get a lot more bang! for our dollar if we took a trip out of Miami.

Question: We book directly with RCCL and got the $200 balcony credit, if we change our minds while we are on the Liberty will we get the on board credit and the $200 since it is before 1/1/09?

I would love your opinion. Also, it is my "special" birthday.[/QUOTE]

Hi...I believe you are asking if you were to book a cruise...on board your 12/20 cruise...will you be able to combine the balcony discount and OBC. And the answer is yes...as long as you book before 1/1/09. Then, I believe, they will not be combinable any longer. That is why I plan to book on board my 12/20 cruise :).

[quote name='want2seaitall']Hi...I believe you are asking if you were to book a cruise...on board your 12/20 cruise...will you be able to combine the balcony discount and OBC. And the answer is yes...as long as you book before 1/1/09. Then, I believe, they will not be combinable any longer. That is why I plan to book on board my 12/20 cruise :).[/quote]

Okay now the question is do I switch and book something from Miami or Ft. Lauderdale

[quote name='barbie5401']Okay now the question is do I switch and book something from Miami or Ft. Lauderdale[/QUOTE]

Barbie...I'm not sure where you reside...and I only know my financial situation...right now...living right here in FL...I wouldn't consider a cruise that would require a flight. I want to be able to drive to the port. But, that is me. It is how I'm able to pull it off. I'd really like to do an Alaskan itinerary, but that will have to wait for another year. I think we'll do an Easter Carib next year out of Port Canaveral instead. Maybe Alaska 2010 :).

• 2 weeks later...
On the RCCL site I booked a 2 day cruise for 139.00, however, the Taxes and Fees (no Fuel Charge) were 70.26......I usually do better than that especially at such a late date. Ended up not to be that good of a deal, the only port we are going to is their private Island. I think the Fuel Charges have been renamed
Fees. Duh!

dealer

[quote name='lovetocruise75']I was a bit worried about RCCL cancelling the cruise. I thought I had read somewhere that RCCL had in the past cancelled a sailing or two due to poor sales. This is not the case?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

LOLOLOL.....you have nothing to worry about with RCCL canceling your cruise on Liberty in the middle of April.

[quote name='dealer9296']On the RCCL site I booked a 2 day cruise for 139.00, however, the Taxes and Fees (no Fuel Charge) were 70.26......I usually do better than that especially at such a late date. Ended up not to be that good of a deal, the only port we are going to is their private Island. I think the Fuel Charges have been renamed
Fees. Duh!

dealer[/quote]

On our upcoming Jan 31st cruise on the Liberty we paid $44.87 per person in taxes & fees, so there is definitely NO fuel charges included.

[SIZE="3"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][I][B][COLOR="Navy"]I am not canceling anything.... in fact I may try to take advantage of the lower prices more. Looking at possibly adding Alaska this summer. The prices are still lower than normal for that area. [/COLOR][/B][/I][/FONT][/SIZE]

[quote name='mohavemommy'][SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B][COLOR=Navy]I am not canceling anything.... in fact I may try to take advantage of the lower prices more. Looking at possibly adding Alaska this summer. The prices are still lower than normal for that area. [/COLOR][/B][/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/quote]

Good thinking. For those who are not being seriously impacted by the current financial situation, this is an excellent time to find bargains not only in the travel sector but elsewhere. Unfortunately fewer and fewer people seem to be finding themselves in that position. Let's hope that 2009 sees the beginning of improvement in the economy.:)

Archived