Just to hear the French?

Me&R

Hi all!

I'm off on my first cruise with my 13y/o daughter in a few days. We'll be stopping in St. Marteen and I thought since she takes French in school that it'd be a good opportunity for her.

I've read a lot of good things about Bernard's tours and am considering one when we get there. My question is will this provide somewhere that we could sit and people-watch that would allow her to passively observe people speaking in French? Something like an outdoor shopping plaza or the pizza shop (mentioned in another thread)?

Thank you so much,

X

One thing you could do is visit the large supermarket in Marigot - she can try her skill at reading labels!! It's always a fun challenge for us! She can listen to shoppers and interact with the workers in the deli area and the check-outs. Then walk through some the small shops in the area.

I believe that the responder to the op is talking about the supermarket located in the shopping center on the main road going North from Marigot to Gran Case. When we stayed on the island a few years ago we stocked up on goodies such as French crackers, etc. Is this still called Paris Match?

Another option is to walk around downtown Marigot. Most of the shopkeepers are or speak French and always warm up to customers who speak their language. Or hit the restaurants on the Marigot Marina. Again, heavily French.

The French side of the island is actually part of France and loads of French taake holidays on the island.

...the shopping center on the main road going North from Marigot to Gran Case. When we stayed on the island a few years ago we stocked up on goodies such as French crackers, etc. Is this still called Paris Match?....

That's a wonderful large grocery store! On a recent trip my wife found a beautiful metal container with some sort of food inside. After careful analysis we determined it contain lovely French crackers. So we bought the container plus some great French cheese. We got to the car, opened the container and found it wasn't crackers but cubes of raw sugar! :eek: 2-3 pounds of sugar cubes doesn't go well with fine cheese!

Archived