Charleston port

MNFreeze

i would take a light jacket, you will be parking in a parking garage then walking a short distant to get in a van that takes you to another building for prosessing, this building is next to the ship ( very easy boarding );)
What is the ave. temp early Jan in Charleston? I am driving from Richmond to cruise Jan 1 :D

I Have A Question On What To Pack Is It Chilly On The Ship Until We Get To Cancun And Mexico? So Do I Need To Pack Pants Or Capris Sweaters, Sweatshirts Or Light Weight Jacket Any Info Would Help!! Thanks! We Only Have 3 Days Left And I Can't Wait! 1st Time For Us.:d

Smith02

I also live in upstate South Carolina and I would definitely bring pants and a light jacket or sweatshirt. It will probably be chilly until you get down around Florida. We sail on the Majesty on 11/27....Have a great trip!

Newly SeaWitched - Where in upstate SC do you live? As you can see I am from Greenville...well actually Greer.

Carol

While I live in the DC area, I have been to Charleston the last three Januaries.

(1) Charleston is not Florida by any stretch of the imagination.

(2) Charleston is sill "mild" and as long as the wind comes from the ocean and not the west, the gulf stream shld keep it around 60 at midday, amd maybe more.

(3) With the wind going once you are sailing, you will definitely want a jacket and long pants, unless it is a truly temperate winter day.

(4) The ships in Charleston within a very easy, flat walk of the sights, which are all wonderful enought to justify a few additional days there.

Smith02

I also live in upstate South Carolina and I would definitely bring pants and a light jacket or sweatshirt. It will probably be chilly until you get down around Florida. We sail on the Majesty on 11/27....Have a great trip!

Newly SeaWitched - Where in upstate SC do you live? As you can see I am from Greenville...well actually Greer.

Carol

I'm in Greenville as well. :) We were so happy when we found that we could sail out of Charleston instead of having to go all the way down to Florida.

We Charlestonians are freezing when the temp is below 70! LOL As the other SC posters have said, Charleston's winter temperatures can range from 70s to 40's daytime depending on cold fronts so better to be prepared. We are around 70 today and upper 60s next week. 2 weeks ago we had mid 80s.

With the harbor/ river breeze, definitely have a jacket with you.

If you've done the Market before, have extra time and want a good walk instead of shopping, face the port/ship area, turn left and continue to follow the street with the river on your right. You'll reach the Aquarium and Imax theater and the River Vista Grill restaurant which has floor to ceiling windows for cocktails and dolphin watching on the River.

There is an excellent view of the Yorktown docked across the river and a closer view of our new bridge being built. The Discovery channel did a recent 1 hour special on the bridge construction due to its size and type.

We ate at the River Grille last year (we visit Charleston about 5 times a year and would move there in a heatbeat!) and my boyfriend had something with shrimp and grits and he said it was fantastic! I don't eat seafood so I can't vouch for it.

If you're lucky, you can even see dolphins from the restaurant!

DH and I sailed on the NCL Majesty the week of Christmas last year (2003)and the day we left port it was freezing! This was our 7th cruise, but the first time we had ever left a cruise port and needed jackets...usually shorts and t-shirts! The Sail Away party up on deck just wasn't the same and passengers had on jackets, sweatshirts, long pants, etc. It was also cold the second day out going along the coast of FL and then the last two days.....Key West and the at sea day towards Charleston. I think it was just unusually cold that week and hopefully you'll have warmer temps, if not in Charleston at least as you sail along the coast of FL. BTW, embarkation was great in Charleston and very easy. We drove from North Carolina and the signage regarding parking and luggage dropoff was terrific. Hope you have a chance to do some sightseeing there because Charleston is one great place....we've been there three times in the last two years.

If you've done the Market before, have extra time and want a good walk instead of shopping, face the port/ship area, turn left and continue to follow the street with the river on your right. You'll reach the Aquarium and Imax theater and the River Vista Grill restaurant which has floor to ceiling windows for cocktails and dolphin watching on the River.

It's been a while since I've been down to Charleston...we've gone to Surfside the past two years or so...what aquarium is it?

~Seawitched

Archived