Rainforest Canopy Tour and Transporations There

Carla1968

I have been researching the Antigua Canopy Tour both on-ship and direct booking. The direct booking is cheaper and the age limit is lower (12 on ship, 7 on the site for Antigua Canopy Tours so we have to book direct in order to accommodate the age range of the kids in the group) but we have to find our own transportation.

The tour operator said that is is about $15 per person each way for a taxi from the port to the tour. We have a group of 15 so that translates to $225 for transporation costs each way......this seems high to me.

:)Does anyone have any experience with booking direct and arranging your own transportation?

:)Is the drive to and from a relatively common trek?

:)Do you think we could easily get a better deal by negotiating when we get off ship?

:)Will the driver wait for us or come back for us? Anyone have any issues with this?

I'd appreciate any info or experiences you have had as it seems like the direct booking option is the only one for us.....but getting there and back is an issue.

Thank you.

Taxis in Antigua are mainly minivans so you should be able to get six passengers in there, maybe seven at a squeeze. I would have thought that a one-way taxi fare from the port to the Canopy Tour would be about $40 for the lot, not per each. So if you could find a driver who will wait, not a big deal, how about $100 for the round trip?

Now, I have been on Antigua many times a but not off a cruise ship. My estimates are based on the fact that my friendly taxi driver took me and dear wife from the airport to St. James's Club and quoted $43. Drivers at the cruise terminal may have different ideas. Negotiable, I would think.

Archived