Renting a car for 'do it yourself' excursion?

nyc325

Will be in Limon for the day with Carnival Freedom and have a group of 12, ranging in age from 12 to 80. Does anyone have experience renting a 'family van' and driving the group ourselves so that we have some flexibility to do and go where we want? If this is feasible, is it too far to go to Tortuguero Nat'l Park or would you recommend Puerto ****** Nat'l Park or Veragua - or, for nature and some walking or boat trips, maybe ziplining or canopy tours, is there somewhere else we should focus?

Will be in Limon for the day with Carnival Freedom and have a group of 12, ranging in age from 12 to 80. Does anyone have experience renting a 'family van' and driving the group ourselves so that we have some flexibility to do and go where we want? If this is feasible, is it too far to go to Tortuguero Nat'l Park or would you recommend Puerto ****** Nat'l Park or Veragua - or, for nature and some walking or boat trips, maybe ziplining or canopy tours, is there somewhere else we should focus?

Based on a few of the safety issues they have had lately in Limon....I would not do this.

We were just there on the Freedom and we did walk around town (just the two of us) without hesistation. We left all our jewelry in the cabin safe. You particularly do not want to wear any necklace or anything that is tempting for someone to "yank" off. And you have to watch out for pick pockets...I had my Samsonite Lockable (cut proof) travel bag across my body.

I even found (and sang) at a karaoke bar!!

However, once you get out of the 'safety' of the town...you really need an independent or ship's tour.

I know they say there are safety in numbers...but no matter "how many" there are...if you make a wrong turn into an area that is dangerous...one roadblock is all it would take for some serious issues to happen.

Yes, there are dangers even with a Ship's Tour. Costa Rica is where the retired miltary gentleman broke the neck of an assailant on a Ship Tour last year.

I believe that some folks get Limon confused with the safer Pacific Ocean side of Costa Rica...which I hear is very nice!!

• 4 weeks later...
Does anyone have experience renting a 'family van' and driving the group ourselves so that we have some flexibility to do and go where we want?

Thought it might help to see driving conditions on the road. The video at

is a quick snippet of the road south of Limon on the way to Puerto Viejo. I, for one, was much happier having an experienced local driver behind the wheel. Gas stations are NOT plentiful and road signs do not repeat. Go with the suggestions of hiring a transportation company with a driver.

We paid $130 for a 10 person van with driver/fuel for the day on Christmas Eve. You could probably do better, but I wanted a local from PV to come pick us up for the trip to PV and bring us back in time not to miss the cruise. So, he had to drive 2 round trips (about 1:20 each way).

• 2 months later...

Renting a car is not a good idea, especially for a port day off a cruise ship. The roads are not good and poorly marked. Car services are not readily available should you have a problem. Don't expect to cover any distance quickly. Hire a van with driver and ask what is reasonable to do within your time frame. The aireal tram is interesting and not a thrill ride. It will most likely please all between 12 to 80. It is a rather long drive from Limon.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been to Costa Rica several times and agree with the above posts about the roads. Since you have to worry about getting back to the ship, on time, I would hesitate renting a car. I felt very safe with Oscar Brown on our tours as he carried a cell phone with him all of the time. If we had mechanical trouble he could contact someone. He does use new vehicles so again we weren't worried. I would also be sure I knew where the gas stations were, not alot of them around.

Regardless of your transportation mode, I hope you have a great time, it is a lovely country.

Archived