Do we take our own beach towels for excursions?

amcess721

OMG...AWinkler, thank you for the heads up on the insect situation. I'm not bug phobic or anything but those sand flies (or sand fleas or whatever they are) cause serious issues for Hubby. Thankfully, they don't seem to bother me much...at least not thus far. We spend time on Roatan most years after our mission work in mainland Honduras, and we've learned to keep him coated in bug dope from head to toe. He'd have been miserable if we didn't know in advance that they are in Cozumel, too. What about Cayman Islands? Do you know if they're a problem there, as well?

Thanks!!

ee

We take our own towels on excursions - I'd rather lose one of my own towels than one of NCL's!

Ok, this may be a stupid question, but don't the towels get gross? We have 5 port days in a row and will want to go to the beach on each one of them. I'm picturing the towels getting wet and sandy and not having much time to dry out overnite. What do you do -- hang them out on the balcony?

the room stewards will change then every day, just leave them on the floor. if you hang them up, the stewards will think you don't want them cleaned.

every day, when we used the towels, we dropped them on the bathroom floor. when they turned down the beds, they gave us new towels.

OMG...AWinkler, thank you for the heads up on the insect situation. I'm not bug phobic or anything but those sand flies (or sand fleas or whatever they are) cause serious issues for Hubby. Thankfully, they don't seem to bother me much...at least not thus far. We spend time on Roatan most years after our mission work in mainland Honduras, and we've learned to keep him coated in bug dope from head to toe. He'd have been miserable if we didn't know in advance that they are in Cozumel, too. What about Cayman Islands? Do you know if they're a problem there, as well?

Thanks!!

ee

You're welcome, ee. Just to clarify, you may encounter both sand fleas and regular house flies in Cozumel. We did. I know that sounds awful, but it's not. Just be prepared with some sprays. I'm telling you this because you're going the same month we were there.

I didn't notice any sand fleas to speak of in Grand Cayman.. probably too expensive for them. LOL

Honduras is beautiful. I met a woman the other day in the Rx line at Walmart that told me her son does missions work there. The only thing I know for sure is that she lives in Northern South Carolina. Any relation?

Hopefully the bugs will give you guys a break at Nachi Cocom. :)

BTW.. What's Pangalactic Gargleblasters??

Ok, this may be a stupid question, but don't the towels get gross? We have 5 port days in a row and will want to go to the beach on each one of them. I'm picturing the towels getting wet and sandy and not having much time to dry out overnite. What do you do -- hang them out on the balcony?

the room stewards will change then every day, just leave them on the floor. if you hang them up, the stewards will think you don't want them cleaned.

every day, when we used the towels, we dropped them on the bathroom floor. when they turned down the beds, they gave us new towels.

Thanks Cathi, I figured that was the case for NCL's towels, but if we bring our own, any suggestions for what to do if they get gross? Short of doing laundry every night or bringing more than 2 towels of our own?

Thanks Cathi, I figured that was the case for NCL's towels, but if we bring our own, any suggestions for what to do if they get gross? Short of doing laundry every night or bringing more than 2 towels of our own?

Just an FYI, but NCL is quickly doing away with all of the self service laundry facilities on all of their ships. In fact, I don't think there are many left with available self service laundry facilities. You are better off using the ships beach towels.

You're welcome, ee. Just to clarify, you may encounter both sand fleas and regular house flies in Cozumel. We did. I know that sounds awful, but it's not. Just be prepared with some sprays. I'm telling you this because you're going the same month we were there.

I didn't notice any sand fleas to speak of in Grand Cayman.. probably too expensive for them. LOL

Honduras is beautiful. I met a woman the other day in the Rx line at Walmart that told me her son does missions work there. The only thing I know for sure is that she lives in Northern South Carolina. Any relation?

Hopefully the bugs will give you guys a break at Nachi Cocom. :)

BTW.. What's Pangalactic Gargleblasters??

I know I said this on other postings a few weeks back, but Doug had problems with mosquitoes as well. For some reason they love him but rarely touch me. Guess he is just sweeter.. hehehe..

Also, at N.C., the beach was crawling with little tiny frogs. I thought they were the cutiest little things, but they might freak some people out. I don't know if it was just the time we were there (Oct 19th cruise) or what.

LOL. with all that has been said about N. C. and the critters, you might have second thoughts of it.. but it really is a fairly nice place and the food and drinks are very good.

there's a clothes line in the shower, you can dry them out there (at least a couple of them) don't put them out on the balcony while the ship is in motion, it gets windy out there.

i (always) bring up leaving the NCL towels on the floor, someone was upset about not getting new towels, as needed. they didn't know to NOT hang up the towels.

i would use the NCL towels a couple of days, pick the time when there isn't a wind (to blow the towels away) or at a quieter beach.

... but Doug had problems with mosquitoes as well.

Also, at N.C., the beach was crawling with little tiny frogs.

LMAO Terry.. Sounds like plagues of biblical proportions happened while you were there!

Oh. I forgot one more warning for ee. Your husband may not want to lay in the hammocks that are there. I've read posts about "hemp fleas" biting people like crazy.

i was thinking the same thing.

the day we were at nachi, last dec, the only critter was the lizard out sunning himself. no bugs and no frogs.

Cathi, you must be "living better" than Terry and me. :p

if there had been any frogs, at nachi cocom, this guy would have taken care of them in a very short time :eek:, if you can see him...he blends into the beach very well.

(i don't see bugs or frogs, remember i wear my rose colored glasses:D or i am just lucky)

566226998_doesntwanttobeseen.jpg.582c248a7342f9359eda410d99fae834.jpg

About seven dollars. Fifteen on board. Plus service charge.

LOL...I thought you might catch that... I don't think that we have just the right ingredients on our rock. For that matter, I don't think that we even have the terrestrial ingredients we used to use for our own concoction, thus dubbed. I seem to remember a Bartles & Jaymes green cooler being involved....can you say 1980's??? :)

AWinkler and TerryMex,

Thanks for the warning, but I'm not too worried about the various and sundry critters at Nachi. I'm just glad to know ahead of time to pack the little Off wipes for Hubby. After multiple trips to both Roatan and the mainland, I've developed a much more laid back attitude about Carribean bugs, reptiles, etc... (and time schedules, and lots of other things, too).

I doubt I actually know the person whose mother you met AWinkler, but it is a small world... The mission worker from the Carolinas may well go the same place we do. We are from the Moravian Church which has many congregations in the Carolinas and which does a lot of mission work around the world, including a number of Carribean locations. We absolutely love Honduras, and have actually started preferring La Ceiba on the mainland over Roatan for a number of reasons. It's not exactly the kind of place you'd stop at on a cruise ship, though.

ee

LMAO Terry.. Sounds like plagues of biblical proportions happened while you were there!

Oh. I forgot one more warning for ee. Your husband may not want to lay in the hammocks that are there. I've read posts about "hemp fleas" biting people like crazy.

Oh but no.. the little frogs were so CUTE. Little tiny baby frogs.

Archived