QV in bad weather

robertsw15

Just returned from a Med Cruise. We couldn't dock at Naples due to bad weather - though it certainly didn't seem bad to us. Then during a force 11/12 storm the ship developed a list of 7 degrees, accompanied by the sound of smashing china and glass. One of the counters in the Lido started to shift and had to be held back by the staff. On our final night the engines failed. Emergency lighting soon kicked in, but it took a while for them to get the engines restarted. Had this happened during the storm it would have been very scary.

Just returned from a Med Cruise. We couldn't dock at Naples due to bad weather - though it certainly didn't seem bad to us. Then during a force 11/12 storm the ship developed a list of 7 degrees, accompanied by the sound of smashing china and glass. One of the counters in the Lido started to shift and had to be held back by the staff. On our final night the engines failed. Emergency lighting soon kicked in, but it took a while for them to get the engines restarted. Had this happened during the storm it would have been very scary.

I was looking in on the web cam as you were approaching Malta and things looked a bit hectic - was that when you encountered the force 11/12?

J

I was looking in on the web cam as you were approaching Malta and things looked a bit hectic - was that when you encountered the force 11/12?

J

Mr Cruachan, I am watching you on my webcam and, yet again, things look far from hectic in your little corner of the office.

Your Boss, rapidly approaching storm force 11/12:cool:

Mr Cruachan, I am watching you on my webcam and, yet again, things look far from hectic in your little corner of the office.

Your Boss, rapidly approaching storm force 11/12:cool:

Jimmy don't have no boss. He's the MAAAN!!

Gari

It looks so much like what we encountered on the QM2 (TA in August). One night, all Power went off and it took over 1 hour to get it back. In the morning, we had power inside but the ship wasn't moving for many hours. The following day, we encountered a storm (force 11 winds, I don't think we went up to 12 but it was still very rocky and after the first hour, the only way I for me to tolerate it was to sit down on my bed and concentrate on a movie. As soon as I tried to get up to lie down, I started to feel very bad. I know lots of people were sick all afternoon and some into the night even if the winds were now force 7-8).

I saw only one cart on wheels start rolling in the hallway and the flower put that was on top broke on the floor but your storm seems even worse. I'm glad I got to experience this type of weather on a true liner but I'm not hoping to have this very often!

I was thinking the exact same thing about the power failure vs. storm. Had they been at the same time, I think we would all have felt miserable.

I was on that cruise also. HINT: Never take an elevator when the ship is rolling. It's guaranteed to make you sick. The captain did a fabulous job considering the weather.

My 88 year old dad, a WWII mechanic, wrote a note to the captain expressing his admiration for his handling of the ship. The captain replied with a handwritten note and sent him a bottle of wine at dinner---also an anniversary cake because my dad had mentioned it was their 67th anniversary.

Archived