Bad Information On Upsells

ubdkjrb

I am not an inexperienced cruiser; I have been around the block. I'm pushing twenty cruises starting in 1998. I have sailed the caribbean, mexican riviera, hawaii and the mediteranean. I know what the difference is between an upgrade and an upsell. Years ago, an upgrade meant a "free" upgrade. These were granted by the "upgrade fairy" and that's how that term originated. What you are referring to with your "hey, cruiseline...." statement is simply purchasing a higher class cabin; no upgrade at all. Back a few years ago when NCL was pushing into competition with the big three (Carnival, RCCL and Princess), they came up with the term upsell. It was a play on the word "upgrade" obviously keeping the word "up" but adding "sell" because the difference was they were selling it not giving it away. You were able to call for an upsell in those days. I'm not totally sure but pretty sure that they didn't even call you back then. You either called or you didn't get an upsell. It was discussed quite heavily on CC which is probably where I got the original phone number, now that I think about it.

That's what upsells were and are and how they started. Has absolutely nothing to do with who calls who first. Like I said, I have been away from this specific board for a few years now. I found it somewhat amusing (given my experience with upsells) that everyone was sitting, waiting for the "upsell fairy" (borrowed from upgrade fairy) to call them and bestow these wonderful deals on them. I posted "why not just call".

So I guess, in closing, why not just call?

Peter

Again, people would be glad to if you would share the phone number and who to ask for.

Again, people would be glad to if you would share the phone number and who to ask for.

I think he would be a fool to share the number at all and especially at this point. I happen to agree with him that yes you can CALL or your TA can if you TA is any good at all.

But you people go on believeing that the "fairy will call some day" Oh and I like the don't notate your booking as that may cause them to "pass you by" what is it the Great pumpkin? if you are not sincere enough the Great Pumpkin will pass by your pumkin patch.

I think he would be a fool to share the number at all and especially at this point. I happen to agree with him that yes you can CALL or your TA can if you TA is any good at all.

But you people go on believeing that the "fairy will call some day" Oh and I like the don't notate your booking as that may cause them to "pass you by" what is it the Great pumpkin? if you are not sincere enough the Great Pumpkin will pass by your pumkin patch.

I think it totally negates his entire posting if he does not provide the number he calls for an upsell when almost every poster on here has been told by the main reservations number that you can not make inbound calls to the upsell department. Otherwise what is the point to telling people to call. His whole point in posting was to tell people that there is wrong information being posted on the boards so why can't he provide the correct information? Just saying he has done it doesn't help anyone or help correct any "incorrect" information going around on the boards. If he can call to make the upsells and if it has never been a problem, as he has posted, then why would he be a fool to give everyone the information if it is so widely available for everyone to be able to call in and get an upsell?

If you have been able to do this, please provide us the number you called and the name of the rep you spoke with. That is all anyone is asking for. No one is trying to deny that either you or the OP has done this, people are just saying they are not having any luck by calling the numbers they have, so either provide the info needed to do it or explain why you would post the partial information to begin with.

I've got my cruise coming up in about a month.... I'm really hoping that the upsell fairy calls us!! We're in category I. Would LOVE to try oceanview...would be a great suprise for my Mom and Sis. Anyway, what is "booking thru CAS". I booked with one of NCL's reps...really hoping that's not a CAS. (I filled out that super annoying popup on the NCL site and the rep called me).

Wondering if the upsell fairy would see that we ordered the birthday package! ;)

Wow! No offense to anyone who doesn't believe Peter, because we're all entitled to our opinions, but I don't smell a rat here AT ALL and I find his posts to be sincere.

Same here. Although the 'official' NCL line is "don't call us, we'll call you" there have been enough reports of people calling in (successfully) that I don't doubt at all that it does sometimes happen. How often, I certainly couldn't hazard a guess.

BUTTTT-that said, I'm also afraid that if a phone number is listed and they get what they feel is a burdensome number of calls, they may go back to a strict enforcement of that policy. So Peter, for your own sake you may decide to be selective who you share with ;)

Oh great.. "W"... I'm screwed. ;)

LOL! I needed that laugh :D

Next time I see NCL on my caller ID, Im calling it. I usually just pass it by since they dont leave a message. I might be missing out on something great.

I also think OP is sincere.....now, can I have the number?;)

I think it totally negates his entire posting if he does not provide the number he calls for an upsell when almost every poster on here has been told by the main reservations number that you can not make inbound calls to the upsell department. Otherwise what is the point to telling people to call. His whole point in posting was to tell people that there is wrong information being posted on the boards so why can't he provide the correct information? Just saying he has done it doesn't help anyone or help correct any "incorrect" information going around on the boards. If he can call to make the upsells and if it has never been a problem, as he has posted, then why would he be a fool to give everyone the information if it is so widely available for everyone to be able to call in and get an upsell?

If you have been able to do this, please provide us the number you called and the name of the rep you spoke with. That is all anyone is asking for. No one is trying to deny that either you or the OP has done this, people are just saying they are not having any luck by calling the numbers they have, so either provide the info needed to do it or explain why you would post the partial information to begin with.

I think he had every intention of sharing the number until he heard about how everyone used to call too much. I don't think I'd share it either at this point. Everyone has the right to change their mind. I know I often do! :p

I think it would be unwise of the OP to give out the phone number, because why "kill the goose that is laying the golden eggs". It would also be the end his opportunities. Isn't that exactly what happened the last time a few years ago? Everyone started calling and then we ended up the the "don't call us" policy being enforced.

Same here. Although the 'official' NCL line is "don't call us, we'll call you" there have been enough reports of people calling in (successfully) that I don't doubt at all that it does sometimes happen. How often, I certainly couldn't hazard a guess.

BUTTTT-that said, I'm also afraid that if a phone number is listed and they get what they feel is a burdensome number of calls, they may go back to a strict enforcement of that policy. So Peter, for your own sake you may decide to be selective who you share with ;)

I think he had every intention of sharing the number until he heard about how everyone used to call too much. I don't think I'd share it either at this point. Everyone has the right to change their mind. I know I often do! :p

I agree totally with both of you that if I were Peter I would not share the number here either. The point I was trying to make is there is not misinformation on the boards about calling for upsells. If the information was wrong and it was ok for everyone to call to get an upsell, then what harm would it be for the OP and Arwenmark to share that information here on the boards. The only time that would be a problem would be if they had access to a number the general public does not have and the people who answer that line simply help them, rather than offended them by telling them to get lost. It can't be both ways, or at least it doesn't make any sense to me if it is both ways.

LOL! I needed that laugh :D

Next time I see NCL on my caller ID, Im calling it. I usually just pass it by since they dont leave a message. I might be missing out on something great.

I also think OP is sincere.....now, can I have the number?;)

LOL, M&M.

Mr. Peter, do you by chance need your car washed, or perhaps someone to wash your windows?? Call me!! :D

We have requested, (through our T/A) and received GV upsells 3 times. Twice on 7 day cruises the deals were great and once on a 12 day med cruise it was just too much.

I am not sure exactly how they figure the upsell amounts but it is usually about another half of the total we had already paid for the AA's we were booked in. (Pax1 $3000 + Pax2 $3,000 + upsell $3,000 = GV)

My T/A actually once gave me the number that he called for upsells but I no longer have it. I had questions not concerning pricing and it was easier to ask direct. I do remember it was a Miami number and not one from Arizona.

BTW, on our most recent Dawn cruise we were told we needed to make a decision quickly as they were turning the GV over to CAS and it would no longer be in NCL inventory. This was just a week before the cruise.

I think the OP was called a liar in a round about way on this thread. If I was him I would never reveal the number now.

I think the OP was called a liar in a round about way on this thread. If I was him I would never reveal the number now.

There's a big difference between calling someone a liar (even in a roundabout way) and doubting the accuracy of someone's account and requesting more details. As far as revealing the number, it's certainly his right to withhold the number, but it strikes me as analogous to a child who has a snit and takes his ball away and won't let anybody else play with it. I always thought this forum's main purpose was to share information and to help others.

Peter's post sounds a lot like my experiences with NCL.

I have had 2 different travel agency's call for an upsell for me and it has worked both times.

Most recently, we sailed on the Dawn in October.

We booked an inside room at a very low and reasonable price.

Then we saw the price drop online, so I called my TA who got a me a free upgrade to an outside room.

I decided to push my luck a week later to see what higher category my TA could get for me, and they called me back with a Balcony for a total of $30 something dollars more. Not per person, not per night. To go up to a suite would have been $300 and we decided we would take the balcony. We were definitely not paying the difference to upgrade, I would consider it an upsell.

maybe we need to change the words we use for this:

upgrade..free, given by the cruiseline

up-sell...the cruiseline calls you to sell a move up to a different catagory/cabin

up-buy..the customer or TA calls the cruiselines, though still good to great deals...different then the last minute phone calls from the cruiseline.

I think Peter's telling the truth. He received an upsell call, returned the call and put that number in his contacts. Then he called them before another cruise. I could have done that. We've received four upsells (and we're a T or an M, depending upon who made the booking).

My concern is the same as that voiced by others -- if everyone calls and the department is overwhelmed, it might stop the program cold. :(

Archived