Down and Dirty

peptobysmol

Here's my experience in Progreso:

For the Pier to be as "new" as I thought it was, it looked rather weather beaten. After taking the Long ride on the shuttle on the pier, We had to wait for the "obigitory" sales pitch about the tours provided. Now if I hadn't already planned what I was going to do It would have been helpful I'm sure. It was freshingly hot at the time after coming from New Orleans. After getting off the shuttle, my family and I shopped at the little "square" shopping area. Many of the items were in the trinket catetory but it was still fun to see what was available. Great things were to be found if you wanted some jewelry or some clothing. Alot of novelty items were also available.

After shopping, we went back aboard the boat for lunch and get the kids (3 ages 7, 5, 4) slathered with sunscreen. Then Back again to the shore and then a very short walk to the beach. I bought my wife a massage 45 min for $15 was a very good buy imho. The kids and I went to the water only about 50 ft from the massage tables. The water was suprisingly cool to me (not an expert on water temps though) I didn't get in past my waist but was acclimated to the temperature easily enough (didn't bother the kids at all!). The water was cloudy mostly with sand. The waves were almost non-existent. After 3 hours, we went back to the boat for the day.

My initial (and lasting) impression of the people of Progreso was that they were very friendly and willing to please you. The town was quaint for what I saw. Yes, there were lots of "street vendors" walking around the beach but not so many that it interfered with my experience nor were they pushy. I was never offered any "services" from females (wink, wink) that I had seen in one thread. HAHA.

I would recommend this port of call to anyone who has "been there" "done that" just for a piece of tourism "old school" style.

• 1 month later...
Here's my experience in Progreso:

For the Pier to be as "new" as I thought it was, it looked rather weather beaten. After taking the Long ride on the shuttle on the pier, We had to wait for the "obigitory" sales pitch about the tours provided. Now if I hadn't already planned what I was going to do It would have been helpful I'm sure. It was freshingly hot at the time after coming from New Orleans. After getting off the shuttle, my family and I shopped at the little "square" shopping area. Many of the items were in the trinket catetory but it was still fun to see what was available. Great things were to be found if you wanted some jewelry or some clothing. Alot of novelty items were also available.

After shopping, we went back aboard the boat for lunch and get the kids (3 ages 7, 5, 4) slathered with sunscreen. Then Back again to the shore and then a very short walk to the beach. I bought my wife a massage 45 min for $15 was a very good buy imho. The kids and I went to the water only about 50 ft from the massage tables. The water was suprisingly cool to me (not an expert on water temps though) I didn't get in past my waist but was acclimated to the temperature easily enough (didn't bother the kids at all!). The water was cloudy mostly with sand. The waves were almost non-existent. After 3 hours, we went back to the boat for the day.

My initial (and lasting) impression of the people of Progreso was that they were very friendly and willing to please you. The town was quaint for what I saw. Yes, there were lots of "street vendors" walking around the beach but not so many that it interfered with my experience nor were they pushy. I was never offered any "services" from females (wink, wink) that I had seen in one thread. HAHA.

I would recommend this port of call to anyone who has "been there" "done that" just for a piece of tourism "old school" style.

Was it easy to get back on for lunch? Did you do this for cost? How much time did you have on the beach after? Did your wife get to play in the water after her massage? That sounds great.

You must try the 'pescado frito' which is a whole fish, usually a small grouper or if you're lucky, cod, cleaned and deep fried. Very tasty, served with corn tortillas and some veggies or rice occasionally. Price is based on the size of the fish (weight). If you are a gourmet, ask if they have 'boquinete' a type of fish with a protuding Jay Leno kind of snout. Very tender and delicious! :)

Archived