Moved booking to NCL and price went up???

lmt0714

I called NCL the other day to move my booking from the online agency I booked with to them. I didn't like that the online company wouldn't let me make payments, and they didn't have great customer service. I asked the lady over the phone if this would change anything about my booking and she said no. I checked today and it's moved over, but now it's $400 more expensive!!! Is this normal? I'm going to call today but I'm waiting for them to open.

I called NCL the other day to move my booking from the online agency I booked with to them. I didn't like that the online company wouldn't let me make payments, and they didn't have great customer service. I asked the lady over the phone if this would change anything about my booking and she said no. I checked today and it's moved over, but now it's $400 more expensive!!! Is this normal? I'm going to call today but I'm waiting for them to open.

if you have not made final payment you could cancel and rebook, plus you should be getting some good deals with the promo thats going on, obc at least, but you have to ask them for it

NCL raised it's prices on a lot of cruises before it's sale.:eek: Hopefully your issue will be resolved shortly!:)

Yes they did.I was looking at a cruise yesterday when it was $998 and today it's $1.054! And I would get an $80 OBC...(actually only $25).

What's the sense having a sale if your going to up your prices?:rolleyes:

Yes they did.I was looking at a cruise yesterday when it was $998 and today it's $1.054! And I would get an $80 OBC...(actually only $25).

What's the sense having a sale if your going to up your prices?:rolleyes:

I agree, the cruise/bookroom I booked went up $60 PP...and onboard credit is only $40 ... so I am glad I booked when I did..

It sounds like to me, its better to book directly from NCL!

They have more power to make changes and such when you book through them.

Here is my understanding. When NCL prices a cruise, that is just it. The price of the cruise. No matter if you are booking directly with NCL or with a TA. What will happen is, even though NCL asks them not to, TA's will give up part of their commission to discount the cruise even more so that they can get the business from NCL. A smaller part of the commission is better than none at all, so to speak. However, the price of the cruise is still the same as if you had booked directly through NCL. So if your booking is moved to NCL, you will owe whatever the cost of the cruise really is.

Example is recently a major travel agency closed it's doors and several people were very concerned because when they moved the booking to NCL they ended up having to pay more money even though they were after the final payment and, according to the deal they got with the TA, were paid in full. It is just the chance you take when you book with a TA.

Of course there is endless debate on should NCL honor the price, etc, however my thoughts are NCL publishes the price of the cruise and it is the chance you take to save some money if you book through a TA for a cheaper price. Not blaming anyone for doing that, just saying it is the chance you take. 99% of the folks that do it come out ahead, so who can blame anyone for taking advantage of it, but that 1% that do get burned really have no choice but to cancel or pay the additional money.

Overnight the price went up an average of $110 pp per cabin on the Dawn's repo 11/1/09 cruise from NYC to Miami with OBC not increasing!

What gives? :(

Maybe it's a Dawn thing?:rolleyes: The prices for our cruise went up about the same amount, but luckily, even with the NCL OBC offering, our CC Group rates remain much lower!:cool::D

A $400 price difference is more than whatever small difference an online (or travel) agent might lower their prices to in order to get you to book with them. Their commission is only between 10 and 15 percent (perhaps a little more if it's an agency that books a lot of cruises) and that is JUST of the cruise price...not the taxes or port charges. It would be a heck of a cruise to warrant a $400 commission.

Also consider though, that the price may have gone up on the cruise since it was initially booked. I've heard of people transfering a booking to an agency/TA because the agency might have a better price than buying direct, and I would expect that if you transfer to NCL you would need to expect the current price at NCL.com to also be the price.

A $400 price difference is more than whatever small difference an online (or travel) agent might lower their prices to in order to get you to book with them. Their commission is only between 10 and 15 percent (perhaps a little more if it's an agency that books a lot of cruises) and that is JUST of the cruise price...not the taxes or port charges. It would be a heck of a cruise to warrant a $400 commission.

Not sure why you move just because they would not take payments. In fact, paying in advance is not usually a good deal. Wait until the last minute.

Surprised NCL even let you do this. But, if they do, it will be at THEIR price, not some discount a TA offered. Otherwise people would do that often.

And, as others have mentioned, prices change from day today,sometimes hour to hour. sometimes up, sometimes down.

You could always cancel and rebook someplace else.

BE WARNED - it might take a month or two to get your refund. No big deal unless you are cash strapped.

Archived