Wedding Gifts

jerseygirl79

Hi Alysia,

From my understanding regarding the gifts on board situation, I believe you have to pay customs fees when you bring gifts off the ship at debark. I'm planning on spreading the word that we are not expecting any gifts, that cruising with us is the best gift of all. But should they decide to buy us something, please send it to my home address before the cruise, or to my moms house. If someone should bring gifts, I'm already designating one of my non-sailing guests to take them to her car before our group boards the ship. I know I definitely don't want to be hit with fees if I can avoid it.

Now that I'm reading your post a little closer, I think wine would be fine to bring on board, but maybe someone on here has a more definitive answer for you. I know you can bring two bottles per person (Carnival), but I'm not sure if this applies to non-sailing guests. Hope this helps!

You should consider discouraging guests from bringing any gifts to the wedding. Anything brought on board has to be screened and cleared by TSA security. Depending on the port, a wrapped gift may not even be allowed through security at all. Carnival allows sailing guests to bring a limited amount of wine aboard, but there may be restrictions about what non-sailing wedding guests can bring onboard.

The previous poster offers great advice -- spread the word that you are not expecting any gifts. If folks want to give a gift, it should be sent to your home. If someone should a bring gift, it's a great idea to appoint a non-sailing guests to take them to a car before the group boards the ship.

As the other mentioned, have a non-sailing guest take them with you. We asked everybody not to bring gifts, but we did get a couple of cards and one gift. We didn't worry about the cards, but we had the friend mail us the gift later, and she was fine with that.

I can see that. What people need to remember is that this a cruise first and your wedding cruise second. The more "stuff" people try to bring on board will hold up the security lines and make embarkation alot more time consuming and stressful for EVERYONE. I would like to think that guests are smart enough to know that if they want to bring a gift to your cruise wedding, it should come in an envelope. If they want to buy you a gift, they should send it to your home. I know that this is "your day" but remember, it is taking place on a cruise with thousands of people that are not aware of or attending your wedding. Keep it simple, I always say! Good luck!

Archived