Barcelona

I've just gotten home from a Transatlantic crossing from Barcelona to Galveston - on Voyager of the Seas. We arrived in Barcelona on Nov 27th and boarded the ship on Nov 29th. Just wanted to write a note about three things in Barcelona:

1. When you are walking around the tour areas you ARE being checked out by pickpockets. Be aware all the time. Avoid carrying purses, etc because even if you do realize what is happening, it's too late.

2. El Jardi is the coolest hotel ever. Check it out. We had a terrace room and loved it and the location.

3. Check out Gocars at their website. If it looks at all interesting to you, DO IT. It was an absolute blast. http://www.gocartours.com/

I've just gotten home from a Transatlantic crossing from Barcelona to Galveston - on Voyager of the Seas. We arrived in Barcelona on Nov 27th and boarded the ship on Nov 29th. Just wanted to write a note about three things in Barcelona:

1. When you are walking around the tour areas you ARE being checked out by pickpockets. Be aware all the time. Avoid carrying purses, etc because even if you do realize what is happening, it's too late.

2. El Jardi is the coolest hotel ever. Check it out. We had a terrace room and loved it and the location.

3. Check out Gocars at their website. If it looks at all interesting to you, DO IT. It was an absolute blast. http://www.gocartours.com/

OK - I'm fascinated by the go carts! Did you feel safe in them? Can you veer off the route and the navigation will adjust or do you have to stay on the specified routes? Where in town did you go to pick up the go cart? The prices are so reasonable too.

OK - I'm fascinated by the go carts! Did you feel safe in them? Can you veer off the route and the navigation will adjust or do you have to stay on the specified routes? Where in town did you go to pick up the go cart? The prices are so reasonable too.

I'm fascinated by this too.

I think this may be the location:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Hmmm..really wanted to do Monserrat in the morning, wondering if I can fit in the time to do this too.

Edit: Sorry, the link won't take you to the map I was looking at.

On google maps I typed in the location Carrer Freixures, 08003, Barcellona, Spain and then got directions from the port. Grand Marina for the route. Hope this is right.

Stacon, how amenable are taxi drivers at the port with regard to short hops..ie: port to station or port to gocartours?

How long did you spend on your tour and which route did you take?

We loved the Jardi also!!! We also had a terrace and went to a concert in the church in the square. The location really lets you know that you are in a special place.

Did you write a review of your cruise---or of more of your ports?

We are on our first transatlantic in March and would love to hear more.

Yes, the hotel is Hotel Jardi. As for the Gocars, I think the locals steer clear when they see the bright yellow cars!! It takes a little time to get used to the brake. I made a last minute lane change behind a pickup stopped at a red light and tapped his bumper - he looked in his mirror and started laughing. We felt very safe in the car. As long as you follow the directions the tour guide is giving, she continues the tour (pointing out things you are passing, giving history and also she is very funny). If you veer off the path she stops talking. You have a map you can use to get back on track and she starts the tour again. We got off the tour several times, stopping to look around at things and to eat lunch. Since it is considered both a car and a motorcycle, you can park in car spaces and you can pull up on the side walk and park where motorcycles are parked (this is in Barcelona - don't know about other locations). You have an option of two tours, or you can do both, or you can freestyle and do what ever you want. We did the tour that included Montjuic. We did get off course alot, some on purpose and some not so much on purpose. But we also felt safe and had just the most fun wonderful time!

Sparky,

We only used a taxi from the airport to La Rambla where we walked to Hotel Jardi. When we checked out on Saturday, the hotel called a taxi for us and it came to the door of the hotel to pick us up and go to the ship. I had calculated the cost at World Taxi Meter (http://www.worldtaximeter.com/barcelona). The taxi rides cost exactly what I expected. The drivers were wonderful.

Sparky,

I copied the address you had and pasted it into google maps. The gocar rental is on the west side of Avinguda de Francesc Cambo not the east side where the arrow came up on google.

We didn't find out about the cars until probably close to noon. They close at 7pm (during fall/winter months). We didn't get back until almost 7pm. If we'd know about it and gotten there first thing in the morning, we would still not have gotten back until closing time!

Mountainmare,

I have not done a review of the cruise. I've been trying to sit down and do some post trip journaling, but find it overwhelming. There are SO MANY wonderful memories from each port, each day. I think it's going to be a book. But I would be happy to answer any questions you have about the ship, the crossing, or any of the ports - Barcelona, Cartegena, Funchal, La Palma, Nassau and Miami.

One quick note: we rented a car in La Palma because we were tired of all the walking we'd done prior to that port. Enterprise as right on the dock. We got a car for aboaut 30 euros and it made all the difference in the world. I hate that we didn't think about that in Funchal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Doing a crossing on the same exact date next year (Nov 30, 2009), on the Solstice. Wondering about the weather as you cross. Is it warm enough at any point to be outside on the decks? I'm sure it gets warmer as you get close to Miami, but how warm?? Thanks for your info!

Archived