Diamond Princess November 22, 2009 Bangkok to Sydney

Weho5

• 4 months later...

I'm looking forward to the cruise and had planned to ask the Cruise Director to announce a FOD party early in the cruise - perhaps the first sea day (I'll have to check) On my last Princess cruise, a transatlantic crossing, about 75 people attended and some of us got together for dinner during the remainder of the cruise. I signed up for second seating in traditional dining as, traveling alone, sometimes the anytime dining option can be cumbersome. One can switch from traditional to anytime but not the other way around, so if my tablemates aren't compatible, I just move over to the other option. Am spending 4 nights at the Marriott Resort and Spa in Pattaya before the cruise and have arranged limo transfers to there from BKK and to the ship with Image Limo (www.imagelimo.com). Next up:deciding on shore excursions...doing it on my own vs. the ship's (overpriced) tours. If I can avoid being herded onto a bus I prefer it. Are you guys traveling with friends?

Weho5.

We dont know anyone on the ship at this moment.Our names are Anthony from Sydney and my travel mate is Barry from the Newcastle.Weho5 is no doubt West Hollywood coded?Your name is?

On our last cruise, a TA on the Century we had about 20 to 30 meet for FODs nightly and through out the cruise we organized a luncheon club for Dining Room meetings.

I have not organized any thing for anywhere yet but we are extremely interested in non Ships Tours.

If we can be of any help re advice etc when the ship arrives in Sydney please dont hesitate to ask us.

Hi Anthony,

Well I actually live in Los Angeles - Hollywood - very close to West Hollywood. My name is Stuart. On this trip, regretfully, I will only spend 1 night in Sydney, but will be spending 4 nights in Singapore en route home. I'm using frequent flyer miles to fly first class on Singapore airlines, so hadto adopt my schedule to their availabilities. Since my flight leaves at 8 AM, I've reserved a room at the Stamford Plaza Airport Hotel. (I've previously spent some time in Sydney and at the Turtle Cove resort).

The only excursion where I think the ship's excursion makes sense is to Angkor Wat, as I doubt there are alternatives. Not sure about Vietnam, need to investigate that - assuming there are no visa issues if not on a ship's excursion.

I've booked a CC cabin category (Ocean View - no balcony). You can email me directly at Weho5@aol.com.

Best,

Stuart

I've been reading the bulletin board posts relevant to our ports, specifically Sihanoukville and Phu My. I had not realised that getting to Angkor Wat from Sihanoukville required a flight (my ignorance) and am now wondering if that's worth the cost and hastle. On the other hand, it appears there is nothing to see and do in or near the town itself. (Wonder if there is an internet cafe)? As to Phu My, one post praises the tours by the private tour company you've contacted, saying they saw more for less without being herded like cattle (well, I added the last comment), while another warned that Princess makes those on private excursions wait until all of Princess' excursion clients have left the vessel - thus cutting into valuable time. There also seems to be a bus one can take just to the Rex Hotel...and wander around. However, if the private tour has an an air conditioned car with a driver who speaks decent English, then it's very enticing.

• 1 month later...

Hi Stuart and Anthony

Happy to hear you are on this cruise as well. We are so looking forward to it.

Apologies for not searching further to find this original thread. I'll see if I can get mine deleted.

Maurice & Mark

Hi Maurice & Mark,

Thanks for posting here. Yes, I booked this cruise toward the end of last year, so started this thread at a pretty early date. I've been corresponding with Antony and no doubt you've seen his posts on the main roll call thread.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Best,

Stu

Hi guys . I dont post that much , leave that al to Maurice.

The other Board has gotten a little tense, with one particular lady . But I think its all sorted now. lol

Anthony , I dont know if you are interested , If I am correct , you live in north west Sydney , maybe I could drive out and meet some day before the cruise.

I am hopeless driving in Sydney ,but I am sure my GPS will get me there.

So looking forward to the cruise and we are planing on going to the sail away get together with the rest of the group. We have a friend from Toronto who will be joining us , we meet her last October on the trans Pacific from San Fran to Sydney. A great lady , and sooooo much fun.:D

We live at Sans Souci here in Sydney.

Anyway let me know if we want to meet before hand on the ship.

Cheers Mark:D

Mark may i suggest that Maurice and yourself join us for lunch at home soon.Its easy to get here over the Harbour Bridge then onto Waringah Exressway thence Lane Cove Tunnel then the M2 exit Windsor Road past Bella Vista then your nearly at home.

Give us enough notice and i will try and get Barry down from Newcastle.

I belive you already have my email

Antony

Archived