Snorkeling with Sea Turtles

BroncosFan2010

My DH and I are on Serenade of the Seas Southern Caribbean. We have already planned our excursions for most islands, but wanted to find a place we could swim with the sea turtles on our own. We don't want to spend any more money (other than taking a taxi to a beach somewhere). Any beach suggestions or places we could swim with the sea turtles on our own? I know no sighting is guaranteed, but are there any spots that have a higher chance of seeing them?

We will be at St. Maarten and Barbados. All other islands we have excursions booked.

Thanks and Happy Holidays to everyone!

My DH and I are on Serenade of the Seas Southern Caribbean. We have already planned our excursions for most islands, but wanted to find a place we could swim with the sea turtles on our own. We don't want to spend any more money (other than taking a taxi to a beach somewhere). Any beach suggestions or places we could swim with the sea turtles on our own? I know no sighting is guaranteed, but are there any spots that have a higher chance of seeing them?

We will be at St. Maarten and Barbados. All other islands we have excursions booked.

Thanks and Happy Holidays to everyone!

I saw three turtles in Barbados when I DOVE. But spotting a turtle from the beach is tough. Most beaches are shallow and the botom is sand. Turtles have nothing to eat on them so they tend to stay on the reef. Does this mean you won't spot one, well no but it's HIGHLY unlikely. Your best shot would be a boat snorkel but even then, with 20-30 people splashing around, it's still rare. But get on the boat, get geared up early and be the first one in the water and you might catch one nearby before all the bodies in the water scares them away.

If you'd really like to swim with them you'll have to take up scuba. Check out my turtle gallery on my website, www.randallgamby.com. The last set of turtle pictures are a series with a loggerhead turtle in Key West. My dive buddy and I swam with him for about 15 minutes.

Randall

P.S. should you see a turtle there are some basic rules you need to follow:

1 Never harass them. Turtles are a protected species

2 Never swim directly above them. Turtles require air to breath and swimming over them will inhibit them from surfacing.

3 Never touch one. They have sharp beaks and in my pictures you'll see they have a hook nail on each front flipper. They're very tolerant of people watching them from afar but they are wild and will defend themselves if bothered

4 Never feed them. They eat soft sponges, fish, etc. Not bread, dog food, etc. Don't want to kill one (as a note, if you see plastic cups, 6-pack ring holders, plastic bags, etc. pick them out of the water and dispose of them on the boat. Turtles also eat jellyfish and many die each year mistakingly eating these objects.)

You might want to go to the Port of Calls and select "Barbados". I have been researching different tour operators and trying to decide which to choose from.

If you don't want to spent alot of time and money, there is a 1 1/2 or 2 hour tour that is around $40 each offered by Westwater Adventures of Barbados.

Here is a link to one of many turtle tour questions:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=883525

• 2 weeks later...

While in Barbados, we went on a catamaran called cool runnings. It cost like $60 each but had lunch, free drinks and a great crew that took us to swim with the turtles. It was awesome. My 18 YO son loved it so much, he said "i'll never forget this". It was priceless for me!!

www.coolrunnings.com

Get a bus from outside the terminal in Barbados towards Sandy bay hotel- the public beach there, outside the closed down blue monkey bar enables easy access to snorkel with turtles which we did on Friday.... Don't get a cab unless you are ready to be ripped off - it shouldn't be any more than $5 e/w p/person but bus is $1 each way - ask at the tourist information booth in Barbados

HTH

Edward

Archived