Price drop in cost of booking today compared to April 2008.

liketravel

After reading the forum regarding TA crossing sale prices I was getting rather anxious about our pre booked QV 07.07.09 since April 2008 for 13 nights. We are booked A5 (balcony).

I rang out T/A yesterday to enquire if I made a booking for the same grade today how much would it be!!!! I was told for 2 of us £715 less than what we have booked for.

I was about to cancel even losing my deposit & re booking I would be in profit.

I have been reassured even though my amended invoice which the T/A happens to have on my behalf does not show a reduction that Cunard are doing their best to give customers a best deal.

I was told by my T/A that they on my behalf will be in touch with Cunard on Monday as to what they have to offer.

We dont really want an upgrade we would rather have on board credit to the difference.

Has anyone else experience of this situation to advise me of best way to tackle this.

Regards,

liketravel

Perhaps the booking rules are different in the UK, but for Atlantic crossing bookings in Canadian or U.S. dollars there is no cancellation penalty until three months prior to the voyage when the balance of the fare must be paid. For our May crossing the fares have dropped - considerably in some categories. Rather than pay the reduced fare, I asked our TA to re-book us in a higher grade cabin which would be approximately the same price as the original one. He simply got an amended confirmation. With these booking terms the passenger can always get the best deal because if Cunard was difficult about the situation, one could simply cancel and re-book.

Perhaps the booking rules are different in the UK, but for Atlantic crossing bookings in Canadian or U.S. dollars there is no cancellation penalty until three months prior to the voyage when the balance of the fare must be paid. For our May crossing the fares have dropped - considerably in some categories. Rather than pay the reduced fare, I asked our TA to re-book us in a higher grade cabin which would be approximately the same price as the original one. He simply got an amended confirmation. With these booking terms the passenger can always get the best deal because if Cunard was difficult about the situation, one could simply cancel and re-book.

Sadly in the UK we don't have this luxury. We have to pay the deposit on booking and this deposit is non refundable. If cunard reduce the price of the cruise we have to hope for an upgrade or onboard credit.

We faced a similar problem with our up and coming B2B on QM2. We had to book early to make sure that we had 2 rooms next to or opposite each other as we have teenagers crossing with us.

Glad to say that our agent was able to negotiate a significant on board credit for us. The credit probably doesn't cover the whole saving that we could have made had we booked now, but then again, if we booked now we wouldn't have gotten the cabins that we wanted, so overall I'm pleased with the outcome.

With this credit, the reduced fuel charge credit and the onboard credit that we got because it was a B2B, our spends for the whole trip should be more or less covered now.

• 2 weeks later...

We too are in the same situation on the 7 July cruise.

If we cancel losing our deposit and rebook we will 'save' approx £100. So far, via out T/A, Cunard are only suggesting we rebook. I have written pointing out that as loyal passengers of Cunard it is wrong when we booked last April that persons booking now have better cabins for less than our total payment (including our lost deposit).

So far we have not had a response. I have pointed out that I feel their approach is poor and I would expect better from them. Hopefully we will get some kind of offer.

If not we may just cancel and take one of the other offers with a different cruiseline rather than continue to be annoyed by their attitude.

Hi enjoyacruise; I am still awaiting the outcome from my 1st T/C with my T/A. I am being patient as I was in formed over Xmas/New year things would be chased up. We had a conversation with the T/A on 2nd Jan who informs us that they are doing their best to secure us the best deal they can with Cunard............ it seems little comfort reading the posts to date on here.

On reading your post I do not hold out for much joy.

I will let you know.

Liketravel

> After reading the forum regarding TA crossing sale prices I was getting rather anxious about our pre booked QV 07.07.09 since April 2008 for 13 nights.

Why are you anxious? You booked the cabin/grade you wanted, for the voyage you liked, at a price you agreed with Cunard. Unless the voyage is cancelled or the the itinerary vastly changed you will have a great cruise.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Thank you Stephen both my husband & I were just having the same conversation; we booked this voyage the day the 2009 dates were on sale & yes we have the cabin we requested etc etc...

The world has changed somewhat since then & I like every one else works very hard for my salary I do not like to make a financial loss if I can help it.

However I have been reading this forum & it raised my concerns at the price we paid as to now... in short I like value for money & it seems I/we may have to accept that we at the time paid what seemed the right price.

In future I think I/we will wait till nearer the time & be more flexible with the destination.

This will be the 2nd time we have done Norway.

Trouble is in the short time we have been cruising with only Cunard we have become used to it we have not used any other line.

Regards Liketravel

Hello Liketravel and Stephen

Thank you for your responses. We have not heard anything to date and are reminding our T/A.

I note your point Stephen about getting what we ordered but want value for money from my holiday and it niggles me to think I am paying more than people who booked a year later. This is reinforced in the newspapers each week by the cruise companies advertisements at a considerably lower price than we have paid.

Anyway I am still hopeful that Cunard will be amenable.

I always thought that in UK, we pay the price agreed at the time we book. We booked for transatlantics for later in the year with a TA on a 'special' deal and at the time, it was a much better deal than booking with Cunard and arranging our own accomodation and transport in NY so we were and are still happy.

I was asked if we would accept an upgrade if there was one and said 'no' because even though we are inside, the stateroom is on the right deck for us and right place.

In booking early, at least you get the room you want and longer to save!

Enjoy your holidays.

best wishes

heywood

We booked two cruise in Jan 08, one for Xmas cruise on QV, the people in the cabin nest to us (which was of higher grade) had paid substantially less then us and I feel same for our cruise this year in March, so i think unless Cunard start to be more flexible with UK bookings we for sure will not book in advance again and just wait for the bargains that will come for sure with present economic crisis, Vunard must think none of us speak to fellow guests!

As the T/A advised she has come back to us the reply from Cunard is an upgrade from A5 to A3, my husband did enquire it would suit us better for some on board credit but this is the best that could be offered as the price now of an A3 cabin reflects the price today if we were making a booking.

So an A5 as I was informed before Xmas has dropped somewhat on price.

As this is January I feel prices may fall further.

As I said in previous posts I/we in future sailings will wait untill nearer the time we wish to travel before booking.

So anyone out there who has made a booking do ask for a better deal you never know.........

Liketravel

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everybody

Yes I finally got an answer which was to cancel and rebook at the lower price being advertised but foregoing my deposit or wait to see if they decide to upgrade me.

I know all the arguments about booking early and getting the accomodation booked at the price agreed in April 2008. It would however annoy me to accept such a situation.

I have had similar problems with my booking april 09.

I booked last july but after several calls to both Cunard and my T/A i have had to re book to gain any advantage whatsoever.

Ifee like others that it now does not pay to book early, ok you can get the cabin of your choice, but i have just gone from deck 5 to deck 6 and recieved $300 on board credit at a cost less than my original price including loosing my deposit.

I fear in this economic climate many further late booking bargains will become available as the ships need to be full at any cost and if you can travel at the drop of a hat real bargains will become available.

Hi

We had the same thing on a b2b booked for May 2nd from the UK. I've asked if there is anything that can be done re upgrade or onboard credit and the answer was a firm no. We could cancel and rebook but once the deposits are taken into account the saving would not be great enough to warrant it.

I take the point that we booked at a time that we were happy with the price and I still think we got a good deal as the prices were already falling at the time we booked. I just think that sometimes Cunard's 'stuff you' type attitude is infuriating. A friend of mine had a similar situation with RCL and they were much more customer friendly giving him both an upgrade and onboard credit.

We have never travelled on any other ship other than QE2, this will be our first foray onto the QM2 and with a 5 year old that is already platinum surely Cunard should be able to see the $ signs and at least try to be accommodating. Makes me much more inclined to try another line next time.

P

All the cruise lines seem to be reducing, but from what I can tell are all either giving upgrades or on board credit (and I have heard of one giving cash back) to those who had previously booked.

So yes it is just the Cunard lot that are feeling bitter because they're the only ones not being treated like this.

We booked a B5 for a Transatlantic in November 09 and, up to yet, have been upgraded twice so are now in a B1. Obviously the prices will be kept an eye on but for the moment the upgrades have matched the reduction in price. (I think that makes sense). As there is ten months until we sail at least an A3 is hoped for!

Vaguely on topic, despite being far too young:rolleyes:, we received a Saga holiday catalogue today. They are now price-promising, ie if you book and pay in full, any future price drops will be refunded. A good way for the cruiselines to get the early bookings they need, and our money tied up...

Mary

I read yesterday that there are offers for my July cruise on QM2 of book an inside and get a free upgrade to a B balcony. Now as my friends and I have booked a B balcony we are feeling a little annoyed- I think I shall make a call to my UK travel agent. The first time I have booked with an UK travel agent as my US ta could not match the price at the time. But if I had gone with him I could have cancelled and rebooked without loss of deposit.

BUT on the same note, for my Royal Caribbean cruise in October, booked in the US, the price went down 700 dollars last week and we picked up the full price reduction.

Much as it annoys me I have conceded defeat with Cunard and cancelled my original holiday thus losing my deposit.

However rebooking with another T/A has given us a saving of £350 plus $300 onboard credit even taking into account the lost deposit.

The lesson in this is not to book early again.

I hope all the lost deposits help Cunard's finances!

Archived