Marriott FLL North...taxi or transfers?

iluvazsun

I just got a pretty good deal for this hotel on Priceline...although it is pretty far from the airport and pier and does not have shuttle service! We're only there for one-night pre-cruise. Looks like cab fare is $40-$50 airport to hotel and hotel to pier...that's $100....ahhh!!!! Should be purchase transfers through Carnival and how does that work? Or should we rent a car for the day (we're arriving aroun 3pm?) Any info would be so helpful! Thanks!

:confused:

We are staying in FLL for a week, but just an FYI, it may pay to rent a car for the day. You can find a cheap rental car at the airport for the day. Basically FLL has a rental car center with free transportation to the ship. If you choose to rent a car for the day, a bus will take you from the terminal to the rental center. When you return the car at the rental center, you can get a bus (for free) to the cruise pier. After the cruise, you can get a bus back to the rental center, and then to the terminal from there. That's what we have done in the past, and will be doing again next week. Hope this helps!

We are staying in FLL for a week, but just an FYI, it may pay to rent a car for the day. You can find a cheap rental car at the airport for the day. Basically FLL has a rental car center with free transportation to the ship. If you choose to rent a car for the day, a bus will take you from the terminal to the rental center. When you return the car at the rental center, you can get a bus (for free) to the cruise pier. After the cruise, you can get a bus back to the rental center, and then to the terminal from there. That's what we have done in the past, and will be doing again next week. Hope this helps!

THanks! So even if we only get the car for one day, we can get the car rental bus at the pier after the cruise and they'll take us back to the airport free? That sounds great if they do that! If anything, knowing they well take us to the pier for free when we return the car is a plus! Priceline was offereing me a rental car for $70 or so a day which I thought was too high.... is this the going rate out of FLL these days?

We booked a van using Thrifty many months ago. It works like a charm. This is the first time we're staying down there a whole week before our cruise, but previously down there for a day or two, we use this method. Usually, upon getting off the ship at port everglades, taxis and buses will be lined up for business. Just make sure you find one that says "Rental Car Center" on it. From there, you just need to find a bus with your terminal number for your airline on it and you're home free. Your terminal number can be found at Fort Lauderdale Intl. Airport's homepage. I often use http://www.sidestep.com to find cheap car deals. You can probably find an economy car for $50 max.

We booked a van using Thrifty many months ago. It works like a charm. This is the first time we're staying down there a whole week before our cruise, but previously down there for a day or two, we use this method. Usually, upon getting off the ship at port everglades, taxis and buses will be lined up for business. Just make sure you find one that says "Rental Car Center" on it. From there, you just need to find a bus with your terminal number for your airline on it and you're home free. Your terminal number can be found at Fort Lauderdale Intl. Airport's homepage. I often use www.sidestep.com to find cheap car deals. You can probably find an economy car for $50 max.

Great info! Will they ask us for anything when we get on the bus at the terminal? Like our rental agreement we had for the 1-day? I used your link for sidestep.com but cheapest I'm finding with taxes & fees is still around $72 for the day (less than 24 hrs even!). I'll keep trying though. I know rental car fares go up & down daily. Is it about 30 mins from the airport to the hotel? and I heard the airport is very close to the port, correct?

(sorry for so many Q's, I just want to make sure renting the car is the right thing to do!)

That is correct. You can actually see the ships from the airport and the rental car center. Its less than 2 miles (5 min. bus ride). From my experience, we have not needed to show proof of renting a car when getting on/off the bus. After the cruise docks in FLL and you have enjoyed your sailing, just catch that bus. If the driver asks for a rental car agreement, just tell him/her that you plan on renting a car once getting there (they won't know the difference). Then you just find the bus for your terminal. As I said, from my experience, it has never been an issue and the drivers don't mind. However, it is recommended that you give a small tip ($1/bag or person) to the driver to keep them happy! :):)

Bid on a car through priceline, we got one for pre and post cruise for $14 a day for a midsize. Very handy, we dropped our bags off at the pier then returned the car and took the shuttle back.

Thanks! $14 a day is awesome!! What month was that? I'm going Feb 21 and see that that time of year the prices are up.

November 28th for pre cruise and December 7th post cruise. You may have to pay a bit more but I'm sure if you start low you should get one for $30 or less(midsize, less for economy or compact), it bids with the 5 main car rental agencies at the airport. Regular price was around $50-70 for my time frame.

Even with the taxes and insurance, we estimate that we saved at least $150-200 in taxi/shuttle fares and we had the freedom to shop in Ft. L.

Archived