Dinner dress code- or lack of it??

CPHS

I'm not assuming. I know. Because I asked someone. And let's go back and review BobbyFreddy's statement, shall we?

"there is no arrogance in the fact that times are changing and dinosaurs and ADULTS who refuse to accept this will enjoy nothing but their old and outdate values."

Wow, I notice you're not jumping on him for insulting adults. Nice. I guess I've picqued your curiousity. Should I fell honored? Furthermore, he's making assumptions about dan40's age and values. Again, where do I see you correcting him? Oh wait, I don't.

"Change does not happen all at once, but when it does you should embrace it, and not fight the inevitable."

Again, I don't see you correcting BobbyFreddy in his assumption that change is inevitable or that dan40 is not embracing it. I guess I'm the only one here who gets a lecture. Did I win a lottery and not know it?

Touché ;)

Are you suggesting there is a correlation between the clothes someone wears and their values? How shallow and superficial.

Neither shallow or superficial.

You can observe a lot just by watching.:D

If I see 3 men walking down the street. One in shorts and t shirt, followed by one in a suit, and one in bib overalls and a straw hat. I could make guesses about their work, but only GUESSES. Nothing about their values would be indicated. Because they have not agreed to dress in a certain way while walking down the street. However, if I observe 3 men in a cruise ship dining room where I know without a doubt they have AGREED to certain dress. And I observe them to be dressed in a manner contrary to their own agreement. Then their own actions have shown all and any that their values are questionable to non-existent.

For the thousandth time, it is not the clothes. It is the action of wearing inappropriate clothing that speaks volumes.

Dan

I'm not assuming. I know. Because I asked someone. And let's go back and review BobbyFreddy's statement, shall we?

"there is no arrogance in the fact that times are changing and dinosaurs and ADULTS who refuse to accept this will enjoy nothing but their old and outdate values."

Wow, I notice you're not jumping on him for insulting adults. Nice. I guess I've picqued your curiousity. Should I fell honored? Furthermore, he's making assumptions about dan40's age and values. Again, where do I see you correcting him? Oh wait, I don't.

"Change does not happen all at once, but when it does you should embrace it, and not fight the inevitable."

Again, I don't see you correcting BobbyFreddy in his assumption that change is inevitable or that dan40 is not embracing it. I guess I'm the only one here who gets a lecture. Did I win a lottery and not know it?

Nope not correcting what Bobbyfreddy said......Dan40 is of the older generation and has rather stringent values.....actually he would be the first one to agree with that:D And he tells it like he feels.....and we disagree all the time........but he certainly does not assume how I dress;)

BTW......change is inevitable;)

True enough.

I went to a funeral for one of my sister's employees. Half of the people showed up in sweat suits. I figured out why. People think that if they pay a lot of money for it, it's appropriate for formal events. It's their "good clothes". Some folks call it progress, but it's not. It's fashion. It will change. Thank God for that.

THINK!,

Do they really think?

FASHION!

Or laziness and stupidity?

Dan

THINK!,

Do they really think?

FASHION!

Or laziness and stupidity?

Dan

A lot of it is fashion. Some of it is laziness. Believe it or not, there are jeans and sweatsuits out there that cost more than a moderately-priced suit from Brooks Brothers.

I'm not denying that some of it is laziness, like flannel pants. A lot of it is thoughtlessness though.

Nope not correcting what Bobbyfreddy said......Dan40 is of the older generation and has rather stringent values.....actually he would be the first one to agree with that:D And he tells it like he feels.....and we disagree all the time........but he certainly does not assume how I dress;)

BTW......change is inevitable;)

Hey K,

We don't disagree ALL THE TIME!

ps

Change is NOT inevitable, it is constant.:D:D

Dan

No, I'm suggesting that people equate "expensive" with "appropriate for a nice dinner" or "municipal court" or "friend's funeral" which is not always the case. And as I said, I'm not discussing values, as values don't change. I'm discussion fashion. Do try to keep up.

But values do change, Ace.

Fashion is subjective, and as such, not subject to your judgment. You are, by the way, judging and not discussing.

A lot of it is fashion. Some of it is laziness. Believe it or not, there are jeans and sweatsuits out there that cost more than a moderately-priced suit from Brooks Brothers.

I'm not denying that some of it is laziness, like flannel pants. A lot of it is thoughtlessness though.

I stopped buying Brooks Brothers suits when they sold the company. Perhaps about the time you were born.

I do agree I think nothing of your opinion.

But values do change, Ace.

Not really. Basic value don't change. Table manners, fashion, and the seasons do.

Fashion is subjective, and as such, not subject to your judgment. You are, by the way, judging and not discussing.

Oh, and you're not? But then again, I'll point out the same thing I pointed out before. You jumped on my response to someone else, but yet you have nothing to say about the post to which I responded which was not only (in my opinion) judgmental but also insulting. I wonder why that is. Care to ellucidate?

For the thousandth time, it is not the clothes. It is the action of wearing inappropriate clothing that speaks volumes.

Dan

You keep count? How shallow and superficial. :D

There is no inappropriate clothing. Clothes do not dictate the actions or manners of those wearing them, but apparently irritate the heck out of some back seat cruisers. Perhaps they could learn something here?

Not really. Basic value don't change. Table manners, fashion, and the seasons do.

Oh, and you're not? But then again, I'll point out the same thing I pointed out before. You jumped on my response to someone else, but yet you have nothing to say about the post to which I responded which was not only (in my opinion) judgmental but also insulting. I wonder why that is. Care to ellucidate?

Now you are waffling and hedging.

Ponder away, judgmental one.

There is no inappropriate clothing. Clothes do not dictate the actions or manners of those wearing them, but apparently irritate the heck out of some back seat cruisers. Perhaps they could learn something here?

"Back Seat Cruisers"? How very insulting and judgmental.

Now you are waffling and hedging.

Ponder away, judgmental one.

I'm not the one tossing out insulting terms like "back seat cruiser", and putting the judgmental stamp on folks now am I?

Still waiting for find out why I'm the villan here and not the guy who called adults dinosaurs ....

Altho its rare, we agree on the above.

Is not teaching them how and when to dress appropriately part of the etiquette they should know all their lives. Casual is not "pig like" and casual is not always correct. They should have learned that, it IS part of manners.

Dressing properly is absolutely no different than sitting still and NOT kicking chairs.

Dan

I see a lot of well dressed kids behaving pig like. It is not the clothes that determine behavior.

I'm not the one tossing out insulting terms like "back seat cruiser", and putting the judgmental stamp on folks now am I?

Still waiting for find out why I'm the villan here and not the guy who called adults dinosaurs ....

Never said you were a villain, did I?

FYI, I was calling the fashion police dinosaurs, penguins, aristocrass, etc, way before it was cool. I should be charging royalties.

I really dont care what people wear for dinner, as long as they are clean and have manners..

The one thing that did get me.. and the maitre'd saw it and did nothing was a young girl (20-ish) came in the dinning room barefoot.. yes - barefoot

GROSS!

Now in the barefoot person's defense, was it the morning of debarkation? If so, it might have been me.... I forgot to leave out a pair of shoes..... MY GREAT BIG BAD!!!!!! Just kidding on it being me.... but seriously, I forgot to leave out a pair of shoes for debarkation. We had breakfast on the lido.

Never said you were a villain, did I?

No, but I'm still trying to figure out why *I* get the lecture while the guy who I responded to gets off scot-free. Is it my magnetic personality?

FYI, I was calling the fashion police dinosaurs, penguins, aristocrass, etc, way before it was cool. I should be charging royalties.

Does name-calling fall under the umbrella of "making discussion" or "being judgmental"? :rolleyes:

LemurCat sorry to only get back to you now but had a good nights sleep. You are truly too opinionated and of one thought. Who gave you the power to read minds, however wrong you may me, it must make you feel"INFERIOR".

There are two figures of speech for you and Dan:

1. If you are going to have a battle of wits with someone, make sure your opponent has ammunition.

2. The trouble with people like you, who think they know everything, they are very annoying to people like me, who do.

If you should ever see me on a cruise, please avoid me. However, if you make the first comment, I will not be the one leaving in tears, and yes this is from an ex-New Yorker, who has played the game as long or longer than you.

Ok back to your corners of the ring..lol Relax... This is about cruising.. not the woes of the world...

Best way to get this poofed is to keep up the volley between you two!

Better to agree to disgree...

Ok Happy New Year.. Carry on.. :D:)

I'm so glad to see the threads haven't changed in my absence :D

my take - there's a phenomenon that the denser a population is, the more concern there is for those around them.

I happen to live in the country. When we go out to the one fancy restaurant 2 towns over, we might see someone in coveralls. Does anyone care? Not out loud - that person may be celebrating finishing stacking his cord wood or replanting his crop after the crows ate it

2 weeks ago, over half my state was without power for approximately a week. Fortunately, I had a wood stove and was able to pull water out of my well and heat it up. As most of us did not have power, you saw a huge cross section of dress by those of us attempting to get fed in the few restaurants with power. Yes, even in fancy places.

If someone is obnoxious, loud, chewing with their mouth open, we may smile, but i doesn't matter because we're out together and will soon

be away from whomever may be acting however they act.

Cruises force a large cross section of people into a tight space. once people get within a certain distance of each other, their behavior appears to grate on others at a higher level. It would seem to me, someone dressed "inappropriately" sitting 1000 feet away would have less an effect one someone that a person sharing their table.

That also is the reason people placing towels on beach chairs, letting their kids run around, being fatter than someone prefers to look at all tends to be complained about on these boards.

I, for one, prefer to get aft wrap cabins.. so when I find myself getting cranky at "people", I can have a nice spacious time out

You don't often make completely incorrect statements, but you scored a double bumble here! No, its a triple!

Dan

I'm so glad to see the threads haven't changed in my absence :D

my take - there's a phenomenon that the denser a population is, the more concern there is for those around them.

I happen to live in the country. When we go out to the one fancy restaurant 2 towns over, we might see someone in coveralls. Does anyone care? Not out loud - that person may be celebrating finishing stacking his cord wood or replanting his crop after the crows ate it

2 weeks ago, over half my state was without power for approximately a week. Fortunately, I had a wood stove and was able to pull water out of my well and heat it up. As most of us did not have power, you saw a huge cross section of dress by those of us attempting to get fed in the few restaurants with power. Yes, even in fancy places.

If someone is obnoxious, loud, chewing with their mouth open, we may smile, but i doesn't matter because we're out together and will soon

be away from whomever may be acting however they act.

Cruises force a large cross section of people into a tight space. once people get within a certain distance of each other, their behavior appears to grate on others at a higher level. It would seem to me, someone dressed "inappropriately" sitting 1000 feet away would have less an effect one someone that a person sharing their table.

That also is the reason people placing towels on beach chairs, letting their kids run around, being fatter than someone prefers to look at all tends to be complained about on these boards.

I, for one, prefer to get aft wrap cabins.. so when I find myself getting cranky at "people", I can have a nice spacious time out

Nice thoughts. :)

I'm needing an aft wrap after reading through all this. :eek:

Lemur...from one 'dinosaur' to another...let it go.

The bottom line is when you get on your next cruise and take a look around, you will see the VAST majority of people do indeed dress really appropriately. All the people here who want you to believe that most people have 'changed' with the 'times' are blowing smoke up your butt. People who really dress horribly and few and far between. In My experiences on ships, the passengers have really dressed nicely. The occasional baseball hat and man in a sleeveless undershirt does occur and I do cringe...but it is a rare sighting.

Archived