Dinner dress code- or lack of it??

CPHS

Let the formal snobs have a floor all to myselves if thats what they want. Personally i will seat with the rest of the folks, cause i don't need to try to put on a show while i eat!

"Formal snobs"?

How about hillbilly slobs who have never been taught appropriate dress or dressing for the occasion?

How about knowing that anyone over the age of 12 should leave their baseball caps for lawn mowing, attending sporting events and when hanging out at the local bar with the yokels.

How about giving the impression that parents did a really bad job in preparing some for interaction in public......

How about if someone wants to dress like the Clampetts or Huckleberry Finn, they go to the Lido and gnaw on a bone or two from the buffet. Heck, you don't even need a linen napkin there.....just wipe your hands on your pants.

There are basically 3 types of "class"; high, low and none. Pick one.

I really don't think it has anything to do with being a snob. In my mind there is a difference between eating at a buffet self-serve and a dining room with a personal wait staff that remembers your name and that you like a coffee after dinner. I eat at both but dress accordingly. Not suit and tie but respectable. If people don't feel like dressing a little then by all means please enjoy yourself on the Lido deck. I'll join you after for a drink at the pool bar!

I hope Carnival looks at these boards and makes changes. It is my only gripe.

I am just back from the 12-13 sailing on the Ecstasy. This was my 4th Carnival cruise, all on Ecstacy, but my my overall 9th cruise. I was very surprised to see the lack of dress code in the dining room. I saw flip flops, tee shirts and probably the worst was ball caps being worn every night, even formal night. I asked my head waiter why this was being allowed and he stated that they dont want to upset anyone by telling them they can't dine wearing these things. I watched a lady walk into the dining room on our last night at sea in what I would call a swim suit cover up top, baggy cargo shorts and flip flops, the dining room managers were standing right up front hoping for gratuity envelopes, and I watched as they saw here they turned the other way to avoid her but let her walk right in a sit down.

Is this a Texas thing or is this happenning throughout Carnival??

We are planning another crusie and if its just a Texas thing we may try another Carnival cruise of of Florida.

We sailed on Voyager last March and I never noiced this issue at all, in fact I witnessed them turning some folks away that were not dressed properly.

I am not someone who demands coat and ties but when I sit down for dinner I know enough to take off my ball cap!!

Take this with a grain of salt coming from a former accountant who has sworn off flying since it became more like hitch-hiking:

My guess is that the staff and crew are aware of the cost and hassle of flying with anything more than minimal luggage and are bending their rules accordingly. On our last cruise, my sons and I wore dress shirts with ties on formal night, and in some sections of the room we would have been overdressed compared to the norm.

What others wear doesn't really bother me. I just think that if a cruiseline makes guidelines they should be followed and enforced. We were at an all-inclusive in Mexico and to eat in the restaurant, the men had to wear slacks, and this is in the "outdoor" areas too. If they can enforce it, a cruiseline should too. I think our society has just gotten very sloppy! We were on RCI this past summer, and the same is happening on their ships also, so it's not just Carnival, and I think it happens more on the shorter cruises. Our family loves to dress up for dinner, even our teen daughters. However, like I said, it won't make or break my cruise if others don't dress up. I generally don't even notice too much what others wear. I just enjoy getting served and not having to cook or do the dishes!!!!

"Formal snobs"?

How about hillbilly slobs who have never been taught appropriate dress or dressing for the occasion?

How about knowing that anyone over the age of 12 should leave their baseball caps for lawn mowing' date=' attending sporting events and when hanging out at the local bar with the yokels.

How about giving the impression that parents did a really bad job in preparing some for interaction in public......

How about if someone wants to dress like the Clampetts or Huckleberry Finn, they go to the Lido and gnaw on a bone or two from the buffet. Heck, you don't even need a linen napkin there.....just wipe your hands on your pants.

There are basically 3 types of "class"; high, low and none. Pick one.[/quote']

You are very offensive with your continual reference of the Clampetts and hillbillies. Are you so narrow minded and superior that you feel the need to repeatedly denigrate some of the poorest yet some of the most hard-working people in our nation? Aren't you lucky that you are from Nu Joizey rather than having been born in the mountains and hills of Appalachian poor regions, the Ozarks or somewhere else where the lack of funds, education, and opportunity are obstacles to to becoming a (questionable) 'high class' person such as yourself.

Call the slobs for what they are, slobs, but enough already of the hillbilly reference.

The, "dress like a pig," fashion trend today is championed by celebrities. Off stage or screen, way too many of them dress like pigs. Their clothes, actual trash or highly expensive and MADE to look like they just came out of a dumpster, are all the rage among the immature and stupid of all ages.

Some celebs can deliver a beautiful rendition of a song or "be the character" they are portraying. Their talent for their performance is sometimes unbelievable in its richness.

But so many cannot carry on a normal conversation. No lines, no sense. They are pitiful trend setters and role models.

And dressing as awful as they do only makes you look like a pig too. None of their talent rubs off.

Dan

The, "dress like a pig," fashion trend today is championed by celebrities. Off stage or screen, way too many of them dress like pigs. Their clothes, actual trash or highly expensive and MADE to look like they just came out of a dumpster, are all the rage among the immature and stupid of all ages.

Some celebs can deliver a beautiful rendition of a song or "be the character" they are portraying. Their talent for their performance is sometimes unbelievable in its richness.

But so many cannot carry on a normal conversation. No lines, no sense. They are pitiful trend setters and role models.

And dressing as awful as they do only makes you look like a pig too. None of their talent rubs off.

Dan

There is no longer a "Golden Age" in Hollywood.. the glamour is all gone...

I was born 40 years too late...

Where is Edith Head when we need her!:p

They are pitiful trend setters and role models.

Dan

Oh... back to the days of classy actors such as Jimmy Stewart. Be still my heart! :)

I think it happens more on the shorter cruises.

I think there is a totally different atmosphere on shorter cruises. Quick getaways meant for a short time away, less thought put into the adventure, overall. While we have said we did not want to do another, we're leaving Sunday for a 4-day cruise for New Year's. As I'm packing tonight, I'm assuming if I pack anything "very" formal, we'll be out of place. I expect I'll enjoy my dinner in any case:)

You are very offensive with your continual reference of the Clampetts and hillbillies. Are you so narrow minded and superior that you feel the need to repeatedly denigrate some of the poorest yet some of the most hard-working people in our nation? Aren't you lucky that you are from Nu Joizey rather than having been born in the mountains and hills of Appalachian poor regions, the Ozarks or somewhere else where the lack of funds, education, and opportunity are obstacles to to becoming a (questionable) 'high class' person such as yourself.

Call the slobs for what they are, slobs, but enough already of the hillbilly reference.

Thank you. Very nicely expressed. While the so-call 'back-wood' folk don't meet this high standard of "G'ma's" dress-code (and by the way, just how do those in NJ dress? Still hanging with the big hair and supersized earrings, and let's not forget the gum smacking?), you will never meet a more honest, generous, down to earth group of people. People whose door is always open, always can fit one more at the table, and will offer up help at the drop of a hat. G'ma should be so lucky to have crossed paths with these people. I KNOW I'd have a better time with the Clampett's than I would with G'ma!!

Thank you. Very nicely expressed. While the so-call 'back-wood' folk don't meet this high standard of "G'ma's" dress-code (and by the way, just how do those in NJ dress? Still hanging with the big hair and supersized earrings, and let's not forget the gum smacking?), you will never meet a more honest, generous, down to earth group of people. People whose door is always open, always can fit one more at the table, and will offer up help at the drop of a hat. G'ma should be so lucky to have crossed paths with these people. I KNOW I'd have a better time with the Clampett's than I would with G'ma!!

Snobs will always be snobs no matter what dress they wear. Judging a person by their dress shows little or no class. There is no more formal nights on any CARNIVAL cruise, They are now called Elegant nights and they even tell u jeans are ok. if u don't like this, too bad! Live with it or simply do not cruise with carnival, pick a formal cruise only and pay for what u get! PLAIN AND SIMPLE!

Snobs will always be snobs no matter what dress they wear. Judging a person by their dress shows little or no class. There is no more formal nights on any CARNIVAL cruise, They are now called Elegant nights and they even tell u jeans are ok. if u don't like this, too bad! Live with it or simply do not cruise with carnival, pick a formal cruise only and pay for what u get! PLAIN AND SIMPLE!

huh??

So Many of these Treads here is what I think

I wear a suit every day to work. So when I'm on vacation I will wear what I choose which is usually a pair of Jeans t-shirt and flip-flops

If you don’t like it then don't look it's that easy. This is Carnival we our cruising not RCL

.... and once you're finally old enough to be legally employed I'm sure you'll have a great time on that hard-earned vacation. ;):D

I will let u know sir that your reply is less then a classy reply! BTW i'm old enough to be your father . Too bad their are many snob replys here, BTW i probably make more in 1 year then u do in 10! Like i said their is no FORMAL nights on a any Carnival Cruises anymore. They are called Elegant nights . Look it up on the carnival site, I don"t judge people by the way they look or how much money they have. SNOBS! do and that is a PLAIN and SImple Fact!

I will let u know sir that your reply is less then a classy reply! BTW i'm old enough to be your father . Too bad their are many snob replys here, BTW i probably make more in 1 year then u do in 10! Like i said their is no FORMAL nights on a any Carnival Cruises anymore. They are called Elegant nights . Look it up on the carnival site, I don"t judge people by the way they look or how much money they have. SNOBS! do and that is a PLAIN and SImple Fact!

In that case you need to go back reading comprehensive classes. I'd rather spend my time with the Clampett's than, well, just about anyone on this board. They would have humor, humilty and a love of life in general.

Glad you're making all the money. Good for you. Doesn't do squat for your character though.

JMHO here but I feel this way about any dining sort of situation whether it's McD's or the Carnival dining room. Yes, they have a relaxed dress code, but there is a line between casual and disgusting. That line shouldn't be so darn hard to see.

While I personally would never wear jeans in the dining room, I don't care if others do. Jeans can be tasteful. When I say that, I mean I don't want to see 10 rolls of fat hanging over the top because they're just so tight it's tacky or so many holes in them you might as well be naked. There is a time and a place if you want to dress like that. Eating a meal shouldn't be one of them. Go to the club and let your little inner freak out if you want....just don't do it around my food. ;)

I also see nothing wrong with golf style shorts on the guys either. At least they're relatively covered up. If they're good enough for the country club, they're good enough for a casual night in the dining room.

Wear your stinking hat if it makes you feel better. I personally wouldn't (and neither would my guys...they know better ;)) but hey, at least your hair isn't falling in my food! :)

What I think is just disgusting is showing up for dinner ANYWHERE barefoot, in a swimsuit and cover up, with armpit or belly hair hanging out...I could go on and on. I don't even think that's appropriate at Wal Mart or McDonalds OR on a cruise ship in the dining room. It just shows lack of style and class. It's also a sanitation issue which Carnival SHOULD address, especially bare feet. That is against food service regulations and they could be fined for allowing that to happen. The feet that is, not the belly/pit hair. Although I could start turning a profit by selling pit hair nets if they did make that one a law. ;)

:eek:I grew up on the farm and moved to the city and live in a wonderful house with a wonderful job to pay for this life style I choose. To see me by day I dress as an Upper Middle Class gentleman. BUT once I'm home and off work my drudge wear comes out. You can never judge a person from what he looks like. I have Tatts Several pericings and make 6 figures SO DONT JUDGE THE BOOK BY ITS COVER:eek:

Archived