Dinner dress code- or lack of it??

CPHS

I'm really not sure why some get all in a uproar about what people are wearing to dinner in the dining room! I don't think there is anything wrong with jeans/nice shirts on any of the nights exept for the captain's dinner. As long as people are clean and respectable, who really cares?? Besides, clothes don't "make" a person! It seems to me that some seem to be more worried about what others are doing and should worry about themselves or they just aren't happy unless they are complaining about something.

Some one who agrees with me cool:eek:

No one has mentioned that the cruise line that being Carnival has written what the dress code is for the various nights.Now if they are not going to enforce than they should give up and let,s think we are at a fast food diner.We just completed a cruise on the new Splendor and found that the dress code was followed without any exceptons that we noted. Many times this subject is disregarded on the less than a week cruise.It wiil be interesting to see the difference in our 49 day cruise on the Splendor arround South America next month.If you do not want to dress accordingly go to the other venues for eating and there are many of them on every ship.

HMm a english lesson , must be a formal teacher lol.

Not the case; just wanted to set the record straight.

Thesaurus: English

Formal

Official

Proper

Prescribed

Strict

Ceremonial

Again: Elegant

Stylish

Graceful

Pleasing to the eye

Well-designed

Well-dressed

Neat

Chic

Now, if jeans or baseball caps fit into either of the above,

go for it!

Not the case; just wanted to set the record straight.

Thesaurus: English

Formal

Official

Proper

Prescribed

Strict

Ceremonial

Again: Elegant

Stylish

Graceful

Pleasing to the eye

Well-designed

Well-dressed

Neat

Chic

Now, if jeans or baseball caps fit into either of the above,

go for it!

Hmm pleasing to the eye and Chic. Does that include u in a hot red Bikini? PS" i have a thing for graceful/well designed /well dressed and stylish female teachers lol.

Is this really a big deal? Granted I would never dress inapproriately but why care what someone else wears. From what I have read it is only a short time getting back in from some of the ports before dinner! What if there was some trouble and someone doesn't have time to go and change before dinner. What should they do skip dinner? If they are clean, what does it matter what they wear?

Yes, however it is a big deal... And if they are dressed this way why cant they go on the lido deck and eat at the buffet>? Wich leads ne to another question....How would u feel if someone at ur table was wearing a baithing suite and a cover how would that make u feel?

cbc... sorry if i sound rude

wow...just read this entire thread..(like a seeing a car wreck, you know you don't want to see it...but you can't turn away).

All I have to say is I'm VERY glad that some of the posters on this thread won't be on the cruise we just booked for the family in Feb. The bickering and arguing over who has the best "manners" and the most "class" is enough to make me sick to my stomach! :eek:

I'm POSITIVE that during the 7 days on board a ship in the middle of the ocean with 2500+ "strangers"...my family will encounter someone who doesn't match what we consider polite, respectful or decent. If their behavior harms a member of my family or disrespects my wife/kids...I will take appropriate action. If not...I'll take another sip of my drink and continue making GREAT memories with the ones I love.

(now...I'm off to the bedroom, to cut the sleeves off my favorite Harley Davidson T-shirt, I didn't pay a fortune for these tattoos just to hide them!:D)

OH...and bragging about how much class you have or how great your manners are is a lot like bragging about being humble. It stinks.

Yes, however it is a big deal... And if they are dressed this way why cant they go on the lido deck and eat at the buffet>? Wich leads ne to another question....How would u feel if someone at ur table was wearing a baithing suite and a cover how would that make u feel?

cbc... sorry if i sound rude

The reason I will EAT in the Main Dining room is the food is a higher quality then the buffet, and If the person feels comfortable in a Bathing suit more power to them I just hope it would be a sexy blonde LOL

:D

Carnival makes the rules, and on our last cruise, they had a cruise casual wear at dinner at least one night........I do believe that includes, t-shirts and flip flops.........but honestly I don't care what you wear. (although I would make my son take his hat off in the main dining room) I am on vacation and I will not let something as trivial as someone's outfit bother me.

I read an artcle tonight that stated that Carnival Cruise Lines no longer refers to it as "formal night" it is now "cruise elegant". It also talked about the new "fun ships" theme and how if this dress code was enforced then they would be contradicting their theme. Personally, I don't mind dressing up. I actually like it. I dress up every day for work and dont mind doing it on the cruise as well. It does irk a little when I see a total disregard for dress codes but all around it has gone out the window. Step into any church on Sunday and you will see what I mean. I am still going to enjoy myself regardless of what other people look like...

Carnival makes the rules, and on our last cruise, they had a cruise casual wear at dinner at least one night........I do believe that includes, t-shirts and flip flops.........but honestly I don't care what you wear. (although I would make my son take his hat off in the main dining room) I am on vacation and I will not let something as trivial as someone's outfit bother me.

As you can see, it DOES NOT include t-shirts and/or flip flops.

From Carnival:

faq.gifspacer.gif What to Wear? spacer.gifCruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs). Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, and sleeveless shirts for men.

Dan

This is the dress all you "ADULTS" agreed to follow.

If your attire complies with this in both letter and spirit, then you are honoring your word and yourself. If your attire is outside these guidelines, YOU are acting like an ignorant and immature child.

And a million words of rationalization will not change the ignorance or immaturity.

The DRESS CODE FROM CARNIVAL:

faq.gifspacer.gif What to Wear? spacer.gif Casual attire is the order of the day. We suggest shorts, sundresses, tank tops, etc. for the ladies, and for men; shorts, polo shirts, T-shirts, etc. will do. We suggest you wear rubber-soled, low heeled or flat shoes for extra traction while onboard. The use of any footwear with wheels, including but not limited, to Heelys© shoes, is prohibited on board our ships. For dining you may want to dress up a bit and/or bring along a light sports jacket or cardigan.

Most evenings we have a Cruise Casual dress code, but there are those Cruise Elegant evenings one or two nights throughout your “Fun Ship” voyage, where you will have the opportunity to showcase your more elegant attire. For those who want casual attire for dinner time, the Seaview Bistro on the Lido Deck is open nightly, and has a more relaxed theme.

Both dress codes for the dining rooms are described below.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs). Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, and sleeveless shirts for men.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too! Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

Dan

This is the dress all you "ADULTS" agreed to follow.

If your attire complies with this in both letter and spirit, then you are honoring your word and yourself. If your attire is outside these guidelines, YOU are acting like an ignorant and immature child.

And a million words of rationalization will not change the ignorance or immaturity.

An "ignorant and immature child" who is having a blast and could care less what you or anybody else thinks...If me, "acting" like this, and a hat or t-shirt ruins your cruise...oh well...you have to deal with it...;)

An "ignorant and immature child" who is having a blast and could care less what you or anybody else thinks...If me, "acting" like this, and a hat or t-shirt ruins your cruise...oh well...you have to deal with it...;)

None of my cruises have ever been 'ruined' by anything. It takes me less than a nanosecond to see the inappropriately dressed for the ignorant slugs they are. But I do feel a slight, momentary, sadness for the emptiness of their lives.

Dan

None of my cruises have ever been 'ruined' by anything. It takes me less than a nanosecond to see the inappropriately dressed for the ignorant slugs they are. But I do feel a slight, momentary, sadness for the emptiness of their lives.

Dan

Only in YOUR mind though...I could say I feel the exact same way about you after reading most of your posts...;)

Only in YOUR mind though...I could say I feel the exact same way about you after reading most of your posts...;)

And when your word and promises ever become meaningful, I will listen. Until then what you say is meaningless to me.

When your own free choice actions, PROVE, that you do not honor your commitments, it is not possible to pay attention to or believe, anything you say.

Dan

And when your word and promises ever become meaningful, I will listen. Until then what you say is meaningless to me.

When your own free choice actions, PROVE, that you do not honor your commitments, it is not possible to pay attention to or believe, anything you say.

Dan

Dan, I'll end this silliness by saying... if you think I care if you ever listen to me, or if you'll ever honor me with your attention and respect, then your ego is bigger than the glass house you live in.

Jackieemma, I agree with what you wrote in all ways.

dan40 - a rose is a rose, but the last thing over the fence is still an a**, and by the way, I am Platinum on Carnival, and never let what other people wear bother me. I go on cruises to relax and enjoy myself and not to impress others. If you don't like what you see in the dining room, take a land tour.

I enjoy wearing jeans and t-shirts every day of my life, and hate to "dress up" for work if I have to wear khakis instead of jeans. I'm not one to enjoy dressing up. On the other hand, when people are writing that they would like to cut off their sleeves on purpose to show off their armpits, or to go barefoot or in a bathrobe, etc., because they know it would bother someone else, it strikes me as kind of a childish response.

We're not well off, we're from the country, and we've had to save a while for this cruise; but I'm not planning to be totally "dressed down" in the formal dining room (though I appreciate that jeans are allowed). We can at least show respect for ourselves and others by wearing shirts with collars with our clean jeans. My boyfriend will leave his camo cap in the room. We might have on tennis shoes but at least our feet will be covered. And on "elegant night" we can forgo the jeans and I can even force myself to wear slacks for one night!

It's not necessarily snobbish for someone to wish that the people in the dining room would better match the atmosphere and surroundings. I agree with the above poster, Carnival offers food at the Lido deck as an option if you don't have time or inclination to "dress up." But really, is it so inconvenient to put on shoes or a shirt with sleeves?

Dan, I'll end this silliness by saying... if you think I care if you ever listen to me, or if you'll ever honor me with your attention and respect, then your ego is bigger than the glass house you live in.

Not ego, respect. I make a commitment I honor it. I agree to the cruise contract, I honor it. I dress the way they asked because I agreed I would, I don't smuggle because I agreed I would not. I do not pick and choose the parts of the commitment to suit myself. That is EGO. And that is your problem, not mine. My guess is that your insecure ego tells you that breaking rules makes you more important.

Honor you with attention and respect? Your actions earn that, it is not my choice, you earn it, its yours. You don't, your fault.

Dan

Jackieemma, I agree with what you wrote in all ways.

dan40 - a rose is a rose, but the last thing over the fence is still an a**, and by the way, I am Platinum on Carnival, and never let what other people wear bother me. I go on cruises to relax and enjoy myself and not to impress others. If you don't like what you see in the dining room, take a land tour.

Thoughtless cliches show a great deal about one. Same as dressing in an ignorant manner. Sloppy attire does not bother me, it is the slovenly attitude and lack of integrity of the wearer that momentarily calls my attention. Which fulfills their desperate need for any kind of notice..

Dan

Thoughtless cliches show a great deal about one. Same as dressing in an ignorant manner. Sloppy attire does not bother me, it is the slovenly attitude and lack of integrity of the wearer that momentarily calls my attention. Which fulfills their desperate need for any kind of notice..

Dan

In the words of the great Sgt. Hulka....(the BIG toe)

Lighten up Francis....;)

dan40 honor and integrity have nothing to do with dress codes,amount and weight of baggage does carnival has realized this and made it easier for their customers, other cruise companies, such as celebrity, still have stricter codes,but not as strict as before, try it, if clothes will cause you any type of difficulty. remember cruises are not the military,but just a way to relax. sorry for the punctuation but just a retired plumber who cannot type and did not ask my wife to type for me.

dan40 honor and integrity have nothing to do with dress codes,amount and weight of baggage does carnival has realized this and made it easier for their customers, other cruise companies, such as celebrity, still have stricter codes,but not as strict as before, try it, if clothes will cause you any type of difficulty. remember cruises are not the military,but just a way to relax. sorry for the punctuation but just a retired plumber who cannot type and did not ask my wife to type for me.

You joined in 11 2006. These exact same threads were going on then and well before you joined the boards. It is only recently the luggage restrictions have been imposed. People were not keeping their word way back in the FORMAL NIGHTS dress codes and people did not keep their word in the transition to CRUISE ELEGANT dress codes. The luggage restriction EXCUSE is just the latest rationalization for putting ones supposed comfort above the contract they accepted. More and more ports are being used so that more and more people can DRIVE to a port. So fewer and fewer are flying in for a cruise. Yet the dress continues to worsen. Each rationalization is just as worthless as the excuse that preceded it.

There is NO excuse for one to dishonor themselves.

Dan

Archived