Dinner dress code- or lack of it??

CPHS

Carnival is changing with the times........they are just implementing what the vast majority are asking for with their recent dress suggestions........

I don't think anyone here is suggesting to dress inappropriately for dinner........I believe what some are saying is if someone does dress inappropriately, it will not bother them or their dinner;)

Carnival is changing with the times........they are just implementing what the vast majority are asking for with their recent dress suggestions........

I don't think anyone here is suggesting to dress inappropriately for dinner........I believe what some are saying is if someone does dress inappropriately, it will not bother them or their dinner;)

Carnival is changing with the economy. They can't very well ask a man to dress in a tux and feed him food that isn't 'tux-quality'.

I don't think CCL is changing to be more casual and make the 'leisure crowd' happy, I think they are changing because they are cutting back.

Bottom line will be a less than great experience.

Carnival is changing with the economy. They can't very well ask a man to dress in a tux and feed him food that isn't 'tux-quality'.

I don't think CCL is changing to be more casual and make the 'leisure crowd' happy, I think they are changing because they are cutting back.

I believe it is from feedback from the comment cards and phone surveys........just like the anytime dining which will be implemented fleetwide sometime in 2009........

I don't know if it will be less than great, but I think they need to recognize the line between casual and crass and stick to it.

I don't know if it will be less than great, but I think they need to recognize the line between casual and crass and stick to it.

Carnival doesn't have a good record when it comes to sticking with(enforcing) any of their suggestions, rules or guidelines which has always been the problem.

I always thought that people were being dramatic when they claimed that if CCL relaxed the dress code, then people would push the envelope even further (hence the baseball caps). I am hoping they weren't right. Like I said, so far I haven't seen too much of what would be considered sloppy dressing. I'm hoping it stays that way. But, after my last cruise I have seen a decline in what used to be my favorite cruise line. It was discouraging.

Actually, on my last cruise there was some freaking weird dressing by a group. Anyone who may have dressed sloppy was surely overshadowed by all the men in red dresses on my last cruise. :rolleyes:

Actually, on my last cruise there was some freaking weird dressing by a group. Anyone who may have dressed sloppy was surely overshadowed by all the men in red dresses on my last cruise. :rolleyes:

LMAO!!!

Halos did you know ahead of time that there would be a group of.... well....different dressers onboard?

But were they wearing beach flip flops with those dresses?

yes, as a matter of fact I did see down below a lot of hairy legs, flip flops.

LMAO!!!

Halos did you know ahead of time that there would be a group of.... well....different dressers onboard?

Yeah...the group were Hashers. (It is men and women...all wore red dresses that night)

Rumor had it that they were disciplined quite a few times during the short cruise. Security was out in force (I was quite impressed with that) I seriously think the group's purpose was to get away with as much as possible.

I always preferred CCL over a more 'snobbish' type of cruise because I truly like to have fun, but some things I saw during that week were even too much for this Wal-Mart/Carnivore.

I'm either becoming a snob or just getting old, but I think I need a change of line for a while myself.

CCL gets another chance to gain back my approval in August.

I want to have fun, but I really don't want to see hairy men in drag or people having sex in the hot tub.

Did you all notice I posted NO review of this cruise??? It was that weird that I just couldn't find the words......

I was with a great group of people and had fun...but THEY made it fun, not Carnival.

It was quite disappointing for me because I love CCL. I hate to see it go down hill.

I've been proud of myself for staying out of these discussions for several months now, but the bottom line is that we are witnessing the rapid and rampant Dumbing Down of America, a phenomenon where members of the lowest common denominator in terms of class (or lack of it) in our society are attempting to rudely and loudly and constantly harp, cavil and whine about "snobbism" and are attempting to portray traditional manners and values as elitist and evil.

Teenagers traditionally flout authority and love being loud, rude and in the face of those with more dignity and refinement. Most of them, though, outgrow this behavior and are chagrined and ashamed of their previous actions. Unfortunately, we live now in a society in which perhaps a majority of teenagers never advance beyond that mindset and they experience a grotesquely-prolonged adolescence which lasts well into their 40s, 50s and beyond. A lot of this "me, me, me" attitude is based upon emotional infantilism and much of it is also founded in a feeling of inferiority, and a compulsion to ridicule anyone who is older, wiser, and perhaps culturally and socially more "advanced" than they. Rather than learn about life and social mores, they pout and petulantly call names and scream until they hope they get their way. They feel entitled to anything they want and our politically-correct society protects them from ever having to take responsibility for their words or actions.

Sadly, they are "getting their way" in more and more areas of our social milieu. Even language and grammar are deteriorating at an alarming pace, and I'm sure there will be those who flame me for using a word or two in this post which they don't understand.

Their mentality is that if it's something outside their knowlege or experience it's "out to get" them and needs to be attacked and destroyed.

I saw a t-shirt once which said "We Rule. You Suck". That somewhat sums it all up.

It's sad.

Yeah...the group were Hashers. (It is men and women...all wore red dresses that night)

Rumor had it that they were disciplined quite a few times during the short cruise. Security was out in force (I was quite impressed with that) I seriously think the group's purpose was to get away with as much as possible.

I always preferred CCL over a more 'snobbish' type of cruise because I truly like to have fun, but some things I saw during that week were even too much for this Wal-Mart/Carnivore.

I'm either becoming a snob or just getting old, but I think I need a change of line for a while myself.

CCL gets another chance to gain back my approval in August.

I want to have fun, but I really don't want to see hairy men in drag or people having sex in the hot tub.

Did you all notice I posted NO review of this cruise??? It was that weird that I just couldn't find the words......

I was with a great group of people and had fun...but THEY made it fun, not Carnival.

It was quite disappointing for me because I love CCL. I hate to see it go down hill.

You have waaaay more tolerance then I do:D Well we all know that lol!

I would really be disappointed with a large group as such.......well with me......probably any large group:D Glad security were all over it....

It also didn't help that they rushed the Fantasy thru drydock the way they did:cool: Unfinished.........

I see you are sailing on the NCL Star......we went back and forth with the Star and the Mariner.......Mariner won. We sail her in May.......

.....I recently saw called "Idiocracy" that illustrates the "dumbing down" of society. This fellow is put to sleep for 500 years and when he wakes up he finds himself in a society where the greatest minds have devoted themselves to male pattern baldness and plastic surgery, much like today. I don't know if I'd recommend the movie because it is so bizarre, but the writer does have an interesting and salient point......

I've been proud of myself for staying out of these discussions for several months now' date=' but the bottom line is that we are witnessing the rapid and rampant Dumbing Down of America, a phenomenon where members of the lowest common denominator in terms of class (or lack of it) in our society are attempting to rudely and loudly and constantly harp, cavil and whine about "snobbism" and are attempting to portray traditional manners and values as elitist and evil.

Teenagers traditionally flout authority and love being loud, rude and in the face of those with more dignity and refinement. Most of them, though, outgrow this behavior and are chagrined and ashamed of their previous actions. Unfortunately, we live now in a society in which perhaps a majority of teenagers never advance beyond that mindset and they experience a grotesquely-prolonged adolescence which lasts well into their 40s, 50s and beyond. A lot of this "me, me, me" attitude is based upon emotional infantilism and much of it is also founded in a feeling of inferiority, and a compulsion to ridicule anyone who is older, wiser, and perhaps culturally and socially more "advanced" than they. Rather than learn about life and social mores, they pout and petulantly call names and scream until they hope they get their way. They feel entitled to anything they want and our politically-correct society protects them from ever having to take responsibility for their words or actions.

Sadly, they are "getting their way" in more and more areas of our social milieu. Even language and grammar are deteriorating at an alarming pace, and I'm sure there will be those who flame me for using a word or two in this post which they don't understand.

Their mentality is that if it's something outside their knowlege or experience it's "out to get" them and needs to be attacked and destroyed.

I saw a t-shirt once which said "We Rule. You Suck". That somewhat sums it all up.

It's sad.[/quote']

Thank you; your thoughts should be the end of this discussion. Well said.

You have waaaay more tolerance then I do:D Well we all know that lol!

I would really be disappointed with a large group as such.......well with me......probably any large group:D Glad security were all over it....

It also didn't help that they rushed the Fantasy thru drydock the way they did:cool: Unfinished.........

I see you are sailing on the NCL Star......we went back and forth with the Star and the Mariner.......Mariner won. We sail her in May.......

I need to take back something I said...Carnival and it's crew were fine...it was the passenger demographic that was a slight turn off.

I don't know whether I should even feel that way or not. It seems hypocritical in some ways because there would likely be people out there (likely ones who sail Cunard LOL) who think I'm as trashy as I thought the Hashers were.....I don't know.

I guess I walk a thin line. I don't want snobbery but I really don't want what I had on my last cruise either.

To be honest NCL was where I found a happy medium.....of course that was just one cruise. I need to take a few more to get an honest opinion. And, like I said, I haven't given up on Carnival yet. I just may have to try to be cautious of the cruises I book, which means NO MORE that are less than 7 days.

I need to take back something I said...Carnival and it's crew were fine...it was the passenger demographic that was a slight turn off.

I don't know whether I should even feel that way or not. It seems hypocritical in some ways because there would likely be people out there (likely ones who sail Cunard LOL) who think I'm as trashy as I thought the Hashers were.....I don't know.

I guess I walk a thin line. I don't want snobbery but I really don't want what I had on my last cruise either.

To be honest NCL was where I found a happy medium.....of course that was just one cruise. I need to take a few more to get an honest opinion. And, like I said, I haven't given up on Carnival yet. I just may have to try to be cautious of the cruises I book, which means NO MORE that are less than 7 days.

Thats how we feel about Celebrity...You should give it another try... We had some great times on our cruises with them.. and lately the prices are bargains!

Its all about the Itinerary!!!lol

Listen, slick, there is a difference between "change" and "social decline". I'm thirty. Even *I* find some of the crap and I do mean crap that people think is okay to wear to the dining room to be unacceptable. But then again, I'm sure you're of the mind that it's okay to wear sweatpants to court, aren't you? It's a matter of respect. Try to wrap you mind around that. You don't want to disrespect the guys serving your dinner, do you? Lord knows what you'll end up ingesting. Values are values. They don't become outdated. Only fashion does. A Lord help you when it all comes around and you're ill-equiped to deal with it.

I'm a 32 year old professional male. I dress in suit and tie everyday. While on Vacation I value dressing down and will not pack dress cloths for any trip. Hell I wore Jeans to my grandpa's funeral last month. It's not about respect it's about being comfortable. If you don't like my level of comfort DON'T LOOK:eek:

uh well it was going to Canada, Candadians don't have partying down like the Islands do :p

You know what.. It was pretty boring but the harbor town was quaint and the people were awesome! Great neighbors to the north are very friendly and very hospitable..The Canadians were the best part of the cruise...

I'm a 32 year old professional male. I dress in suit and tie everyday. While on Vacation I value dressing down and will not pack dress cloths for any trip. Hell I wore Jeans to my grandpa's funeral last month. It's not about respect it's about being comfortable. If you don't like my level of comfort DON'T LOOK:eek:

GTHO!:eek:

Seriously????? :eek::eek:

You seriously don't think that respect doesn't come into play??????????

Did you not think enough about your grandfather to warrant putting on a pair of regular pants??????? :eek:

I will never understand that kind of thought...ever.

GTHO!:eek:

Seriously????? :eek::eek:

It amazes me you would be bragging about that.

I was at a funeral recently for a mid 30 yo guy. He was in his casket dressed in his favorite jeans, a flannel shirt, his favorite sneakers and a bunch of his favorite items. It was who HE was. Not everybody feels you need to dress up to say goodbye to a close friend or family member.

I could see if it was someone elses family or a friend whos funeral was a little more traditional...

Archived