Chichén Itzá or Uxmal

jimiam

My family did Chichen Itza last week and loved it. Very impressive. Personally I would go there as it is one of the new seven wonders of the world. As for walking up ancient ruins...that is irresponsible no matter if it is allowed or not. Thank god they stopped it at Chichen Itza. Enjoy the view from the ground and don't be the ugly tourist that can't get enough till he is trapsing on history.

I loved Uxmal. Its advantages have already been listed. I would say there were maybe 50 people total in the ruins at any one time. When our guide cut us loose to explore for an hour most fo our group went back to get a cold drink, so my wife and I were pretty much alone.

BTW, nice pics!!

I have my pictures linked in a different thread. Plus I did a quick review on the trip.

We went to Uxmal with the AutoProgreso tours. The drive did not take as long as we thought it was going to. We visited an old hacienda on the way and stopped at a convenience store with the cleanest restrooms I have ever seen in a store. We had 3 children with us on this tour. You were able to climb on the ruins and walk everywhere. My husband was not looking forward to this excursion as he thought we would be in a vehicle most of the time, but we ALL loved it!

We went to Uxmal with the AutoProgreso tours. The drive did not take as long as we thought it was going to. We visited an old hacienda on the way and stopped at a convenience store with the cleanest restrooms I have ever seen in a store. We had 3 children with us on this tour. You were able to climb on the ruins and walk everywhere. My husband was not looking forward to this excursion as he thought we would be in a vehicle most of the time, but we ALL loved it!

I would agree with BRCruiser about going to Uxmal and especially about touring with AutoProgreso. I have toured with them four times and have always had a great experience with their tour guides. The tour will cost you $55 pp with AutoProgreso and is well worth it.

I much prefer Uxmal to Chichen Itza, it is an easier trip, and I found it to be more impressive. It is beautiful, has lots of shaded areas to stop and rest, and was way less crowded than Chichen. I went to Uxmal for the first time in October with some girlfriends, and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The guides were knowledgeable, and let you explore at your own pace.

Uxmal is about 1.5 hrs away, Chichen is 2+ hours drive. Double that for the trip back as well.

Chichen Itzá is overrun with 'handcraft' salespeople trying to get you to buy their trinkets, which really take away from the experience. Uxmal is not.

Chichen Itzá fills up by 10 AM with horders of tourists from Cancun, Uxmal has a few groups but no comparison.

Uxmal is magical. Chichen Itzá is so built up it's hard to appreciate.

My 2 cents.

:):)

Archived