Ventura - Report from December 2008

macalifrog

All I can say to anyone going on the Ventura in 2009 is to NOT LISTEN TO THE MOANERS. You get the "I've done 26 cruises" brigade and the "it's bigger than the Oceania" mob, but just chuck them overboard.

We have just had our 1st cruise, on the Ventura (could you guess) and yes:eek: shock horror - it's enormous, but you knew that when you booked didn't you!!

It is a FAB :D ship and I will 100% be booking her up again. We went (hubby and I) on Freedom dining. The only downside to this was the MOANERS that you met, but apparently they crop up everywhere. At least with Freedom dining you get a different group every night - with the other one (club??) you are stuck - poor you if you get a right moaning :p mini!!!). The Moaners - They slagged every aspect of the ship, it's staff and the ports its stopped at 24/7. It's a wonder that there were not any food fights as it really niggled at you, especially if you were a 1st time cruiser. I just hope that we never come across any of the MOANERS again and believe me there were hundreds of them. The moaned about:

• The staff
  • The entertainment (ok so it wasn't my cup of tea but it was entertainment!)
  • thier cabins
  • the food
  • the sunbeds
  • the closeness of the sunbeds
  • the kids (it's a "family boat")
  • the prices
  • the size of their room
  • the pillows
  • the room steward
  • the restuarant waiters
  • the quality of the toilet paper
  • irons not working
  • too many stairs
  • too many floors
  • bad service (where were they sitting??)
  • having to share a breakfast table (sad)
  • the weather - maybe God could help?????:confused:
  • the heat
  • the rain
  • the wind (take a wrap with you)
  • The pools
  • too hot
  • too cold
  • the lifts
  • the reception
  • the shops
  • the public toilets / washrooms
  • the gym (I didn't actually see them in their!!)
  • the "nicer" restuarants - in my opinion worth every penny especially the white room
  • the price of drinks
  • the bingo
  • .....blah, blah, blah

You name it they moaned.

The staff on board were I think 85% Indian and a fabulous bunch, in fact so much so that I brushed up on my Hindi!

The ship is only a few months old and the mini suite we had was more that we expected - yes, our balcony was overlooked but hey - what should you be doing out there??? :rolleyes: haha

The food - even for a Coeliac having to follow a Gluten free diet was great and plentiful, and the Cruise Tone instructor, Martyn, was top notch and motivated - our early morning "walk a mile" mornings were great as were our marathons on sea days.

It's sad that there are alot of people out there giving this ship and it's crew a bad name. I read these boards before I left for Barbados with mixed feelings along with "dread". Now I wouldn't hesitate to return.

Take it as you find it, and if you have as good at time as me and my husband did then you are in for a FANTASTIC cruise.:D

We too enjoyed our cruise, sorry there was a mix up with our get together. Seeing Ventura for the first time must have been a great wow moment for you. She is a lovely ship.

The service was first class through out the ship.

I was surprised so many people moaned about the size, didn't they compare the size to their beloved Oceana, Oriana etc before they booked.

We never really had to listen to moaners at dinner as we always asked for a table for 2. We did share at the American diner one night and ended up leaving before dessert due to the man's bad language.

Happy cruising.... they did tell you it was addictive :)

a nice upbeat review of Ventura, well done:)

First timers are easily pleased as they have nothing to compare with, thats the trouble with cruising...all those moaners have their rose-tinted memories of passed cruises and ships and love to moan and say another ship is better than the one they are on -for some unknown reason :confused:. We had the same happen to us on our first cruise on Arcadia.

It seems to happen even more in the ships first year at sea, when these cruisers are trying out a new ship for first time, if they don't like it then they won't be back -thank god, our 2nd and 3rd cruise on Arcadia were much friendlier as the 'returners' were on and were back because they loved her......I expect the same will happen in future years with Ventura.

Thanks for all your replies so far!

Elaine - i did go to the Metropolis Bar at 3pm on the first day out at sea - I was a tad late as I went to the wrong end of the ship to start off with, but got there about 3.10 and didn't see a "group" or anything like a get together going on!

Was it moved to another bar???

Never mind - I am sure we bumped into eachother somewhere along the way!!

Ali;)

All I can say to anyone going on the Ventura in 2009 is to NOT LISTEN TO THE MOANERS. You get the "I've done 26 cruises" brigade and the "it's bigger than the Oceania" mob, but just chuck them overboard.

We have just had our 1st cruise, on the Ventura (could you guess) and yes:eek: shock horror - it's enormous, but you knew that when you booked didn't you!!

It is a FAB ship and I will 100% be booking her up again. We went (hubby and I) on Freedom dining. The only downside to this was the MOANERS that you met, but apparently they crop up everywhere. At least with Freedom dining you get a different group every night - with the other one (club??) you are stuck - poor you if you get a right moaning :p mini!!!). The Moaners - They slagged every aspect of the ship, it's staff and the ports its stopped at 24/7. It's a wonder that there were not any food fights as it really niggled at you, especially if you were a 1st time cruiser. I just hope that we never come across any of the MOANERS again and believe me there were hundreds of them. The moaned about:

• The staff
  • The entertainment (ok so it wasn't my cup of tea but it was entertainment!)
  • thier cabins
  • the food
  • the sunbeds
  • the closeness of the sunbeds
  • the kids (it's a "family boat")
  • the prices
  • the size of their room
  • the pillows
  • the room steward
  • the restuarant waiters
  • the quality of the toilet paper
  • irons not working
  • too many stairs
  • too many floors
  • bad service (where were they sitting??)
  • having to share a breakfast table (sad)
  • the weather - maybe God could help?????:confused:
  • the heat
  • the rain
  • the wind (take a wrap with you)
  • The pools
  • too hot
  • too cold
  • the lifts
  • the reception
  • the shops
  • the public toilets / washrooms
  • the gym (I didn't actually see them in their!!)
  • the "nicer" restuarants - in my opinion worth every penny especially the white room
  • the price of drinks
  • the bingo
  • .....blah, blah, blah

You name it they moaned.

The staff on board were I think 85% Indian and a fabulous bunch, in fact so much so that I brushed up on my Hindi!

The ship is only a few months old and the mini suite we had was more that we expected - yes, our balcony was overlooked but hey - what should you be doing out there??? :rolleyes: haha

The food - even for a Coeliac having to follow a Gluten free diet was great and plentiful, and the Cruise Tone instructor, Martyn, was top notch and motivated - our early morning "walk a mile" mornings were great as were our marathons on sea days.

It's sad that there are alot of people out there giving this ship and it's crew a bad name. I read these boards before I left for Barbados with mixed feelings along with "dread". Now I wouldn't hesitate to return.

Take it as you find it, and if you have as good at time as me and my husband did then you are in for a FANTASTIC cruise.:D

What a funny review, it seems all her time was taken up with moaning about moaners, must be a new sport!

:D

Archived