Do Tours Or Regret Going To Jamaica

chucktowndcroz

kooljamming - what is the name of the beach in your picture? Beautiful. I will be in MoBay in a few weeks. I would like to go to a secluded beach. What do you recommend?

Doctor's Cove is nice but not secluded. You may consider a day pass to Sunset Beach and Spa for about $65. You will have a decent beach (Au Natural too), gorgeous sunset, a water park, booze (if you drink) and good snorkeling. The beach you asked about is by the pier in Ocho Rios. Pics of Sunset Beach and Spa, I hope this helps.

Pauline

DSCF3346.jpg.8f5c89c1ada9a3e3a146883ce9eda673.jpg

DSCF3266.jpg.0bdec809eceff3e727d2ab3476120b4d.jpg

DSCF3308.jpg.3238d67e4de5b59b2ec4ded1a2407fa2.jpg

Doctor's Cove is nice but not secluded. You may consider a day pass to Sunset Beach and Spa for about $65. You will have a decent beach (Au Natural too), gorgeous sunset, a water park, booze (if you drink) and good snorkeling. The beach you asked about is by the pier in Ocho Rios. Pics of Sunset Beach and Spa, I hope this helps.

Pauline

Okay Thanks for the pics of Sunset Beach. The cruise I will be on will dock at MoBay. I have been checking out reviews and pics of Doctor's Cave Beach. Nice beach but it looks crowded. I guess it's popular.

Is that reputation of weed/herb/bud......yes, yes, yes. The one of poverty.....Yes, the one of surrounded by minorities/blacks...Yes. The one of being hassled/hustled.....mostly. The one of TOURIST being hurt...NO, because that doesn't really happen (please share numbers that say otherwise). With the deserving reputation, there are many things that keep people on the ship.

JMOP

Well maybe you should just NOT go to Jamaica and let those that like to go keep going. Why is there so much negativity....gosh I'd hate to go thru life being so negative. It would really suck. There is always good in everything...remember that (it may be hard to find but look closely).

Well maybe you should just NOT go to Jamaica and let those that like to go keep going. Why is there so much negativity....gosh I'd hate to go thru life being so negative. It would really suck. There is always good in everything...remember that (it may be hard to find but look closely).

Did you read the rest of my post, if NOT please do. Someone posted that Jamaica has a deserving reputation. I ASKED exactly which reputation he was talking about? My screen name kooljamming - here is the break down KOOL - laid back : JAMMING - born and raised in JAMAICA. I now live in the States, do my land vacations in Jamaica and cruise to Mexico. Please go back and read what I wrote or more what I was ASKING. Stating the FACTS about a place is not being negative and it won't make you love it any less. Kinda like raising a teenager:D

Pauline

Stating the FACTS about a place is not being negative and it won't make you love it any less. Kinda like raising a teenager:D

Pauline

Fortunately not all teenagers (I have one) are negative. I have to say mine is pretty good with a good head on her shoulders! That's what I'm trying to get across. Even though others have such negative thoughts and experiences doesn't mean it's ALL bad. I was pointing out your post about all the "YES's" That to me meant you agreed with all the negativity (and if you don't then I apologize for quoting your post). I've had great experiences in all the places I've been (even belize and jamaica). Yeah, you run into people that push you to buy something but I just walk away saying "No thank you" and they leave me alone. It's just not worth it to list all the negative things about other countries.

Maybe we can start a thread on "Nice things we've seen or done in Jamaica"???

Okay Thanks for the pics of Sunset Beach. The cruise I will be on will dock at MoBay. I have been checking out reviews and pics of Doctor's Cave Beach. Nice beach but it looks crowded. I guess it's popular.

The only way to get more private or secluded beach would be at a resort. Beaches are really public, so attacting more people. The access to some beaches are private such as the resorts. The only way to get to those beaches would be a guest at the resort.

Fortunately not all teenagers (I have one) are negative. I have to say mine is pretty good with a good head on her shoulders! That's what I'm trying to get across. Even though others have such negative thoughts and experiences doesn't mean it's ALL bad. I was pointing out your post about all the "YES's" That to me meant you agreed with all the negativity (and if you don't then I apologize for quoting your post). I've had great experiences in all the places I've been (even belize and jamaica). Yeah, you run into people that push you to buy something but I just walk away saying "No thank you" and they leave me alone. It's just not worth it to list all the negative things about other countries.

Maybe we can start a thread on "Nice things we've seen or done in Jamaica"??? Yesssssssssss[/quote]

Not YES meaning I agree with the negativity. In other posts I shared pics of the beauty of the place. I acknowlege some of the things that are said here, good and bad. I will join you about Nice things we've seen or done in Jamaica:D

thought for sure somebody would accuse me of racism because I don't care for Jamaica.

The statement was open to interpretation, so I inquired about it. The board lacks tone, so it's hard tell one's intent. I hate Disneyland, oh dear, I do. It's a destination not meant for me...simple. Its does have that reputation of long lines, overpriced food, crowd everywhere you go, characters in costumes and silly song 'It's A Small World Afterall'. :D Guess what, even with the reputation, millions still love it and they won't miss me.

Pauline

Your point about disneyworld is right on....you can hate disneyland without hating everybody there...its the crime in Jamaica that puts me off....kind of like New York city used to be.....I have no problem with Jamaicans..I used to play for a team called the Rastaman Vibrators....I even have a few words of patois but they are really really rude (which is why I remember them)...so although I don't know many Jamaicans thats mostly because I am old and in bed by 9pm. .

so relax..have a cup of Blue mountain coffee

I cancelled my cruise. These posts about Jamaica scared me. My DH hates to be approached & gets nasty. I can't trust him to behave in Jamaica.

That's not good for your vacation. If you like the price and itinerary, then stay on board at this port. Being approached in Jamaica is like waiting in line at Disneyland. There is a very good chance it might happen:D I haven't gotten off a ship in 5 years in Ensanada, only once in Catalina.

Captain Canuck - I will share a Red Stripe, my treat:D

I did a medical mission trip at the St Annes Bay Hospital last year (about 15 miles from Ocho Rios). I was in the country for a week doing construction work at churches and working at the hospital. I can say with certainty that the folks of Jamaica are not bad folks, poor yes but not bad. I went into several grocery stores, hardware stores, pharmacies etc during the week and was never harrassed. We only went into Ocho Rios one night to eat but we did not see any of what you are talking about. We will be arriving there on Jan 20th from the Navigator of the seas and I can not wait! Yes I agree you should book a tour. My wife and I have hired a tour guide to take us to several places for the day. But by all means do not miss this island and its people. Yes they can be pushy but that is how they make their money to eat....not cruise...to eat. Have a little compassion for those less fortunate. Usually a kind no thanks will do the trick. Yes you may get cussed at occasionly but go to any large city and you will experience some the same. If you are afraid, stay on the boat. That just means it will be less crowded at the beaches and Dunns Falls!

Big Al

Your point about disneyworld is right on....you can hate disneyland without hating everybody there...its the crime in Jamaica that puts me off....kind of like New York city used to be.....

Used to be? Did NYC's crime rate go down? WOW :)

We will be on a cruise stopping in Jamaica the last week in Jan. and are booked on a private tour with Peat Taylor. Has anyone had any experience with him? I was leary of this port because of what I read here but Peat answered all my questions, pplanned a day for the group and appears to be very professional. Any feedback would be appreciated.

We will be on a cruise stopping in Jamaica the last week in Jan. and are booked on a private tour with Peat Taylor. Has anyone had any experience with him? I was leary of this port because of what I read here but Peat answered all my questions, pplanned a day for the group and appears to be very professional. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Never done a tour personally with Peat Taylor, but have read lots of good things about him. I truly enjoyed Ocho Rios, and hope that you will too ....

Joanne

I am from Brown's Town not too far from Ocho Rios. I migrated a long time ago but I return primarily for vacation in Ocho Rios. Both places are familiar:D.

Pauline

I had a friend, a cab driver I used for many tours, he has since moved away, I was looking for him to return to the island.

His name was Vince, also known as "Granny"....thanks anyway.;)

I just got back from a cruise and used A-Z Planners. I had a great time and did not have a single person come up to my family. Felt perfectly safe and had a great time. Would book with them in a minute and have recommended them to family.

Robin

• 1 month later...
I just got back from a cruise and used A-Z Planners. I had a great time and did not have a single person come up to my family. Felt perfectly safe and had a great time. Would book with them in a minute and have recommended them to family.

Robin

Which tour did you pick with A-Z? I just look at their site and they have just about everything.....

Archived