Discover Scuba in Bonaire

mnmarkne

Looking for Discover Scuba classes in Bonaire, not associated with cruise lines. We are arriving on the Emerald Princess in Apr 09. Was hoping to go with Dive Friends of Bonaire, but have to go through the cruise ship to use them. Thanks

Looking for Discover Scuba classes in Bonaire, not associated with cruise lines. We are arriving on the Emerald Princess in Apr 09. Was hoping to go with Dive Friends of Bonaire, but have to go through the cruise ship to use them. Thanks

What's the problem with using a Discover Scuba class associated with the cruise ship? Especially since you have a firm in mind? Now, I know one of the answers is that it is cheaper to book independently, but at least you'd have the peace of mind that the cruise line has "certified" the dive operator and would back you in case of trouble.

Sorry but I'm going to chime in differently. I would recommend that you get certified at home then dive as a certified diver. I remember my first open water checkout dive after 5 weeks of classes and I was really nervous. I had to concentrate to breathe underwater--it's not a natural as some people might think. And trust me, I am like a fish in the water--8 year competitive swimmer, 12 year lifeguard. I have spoken to many people who have taken resort courses and many of them found it stressful. Under 40 feet of water, mistakes are a big deal. Just my 2 cents. If you are going to do it, I would book through the ship myself. But if you want to book separately, I would look to Buddy Dive Resort or Captain Don's Habitat or Divi Flamingo.

Sorry but I'm going to chime in differently. I would recommend that you get certified at home then dive as a certified diver. I remember my first open water checkout dive after 5 weeks of classes and I was really nervous. I had to concentrate to breathe underwater--it's not a natural as some people might think. And trust me, I am like a fish in the water--8 year competitive swimmer, 12 year lifeguard. I have spoken to many people who have taken resort courses and many of them found it stressful. Under 40 feet of water, mistakes are a big deal. Just my 2 cents. If you are going to do it, I would book through the ship myself. But if you want to book separately, I would look to Buddy Dive Resort or Captain Don's Habitat or Divi Flamingo.

My son and I took a Discover Scuba class/dive in Puerto Vallarta a few years ago on a MR cruise. We had almost a couple of hours of instruction and the dive lasted about 45 minutes. Yes it was a bit stressful, my ears didn't *pop* like I thought they would and I had a moment of um... stress... but since I wasn't in any pain, I continued with the dive. It was fabulous (although the water was a bit cloudy) and it's something I'll always remember doing with my son. Yeah, being at the bottom, looking at the others in our group and realizing that I'm breathing under the water was truly a magnificent feeling. :D Since I don't really have the time or funds to become certified, I'm looking forward to trying some of the other underwater adventures that are offered... snuba and helmet diving.

My husband did Discover Scuba through the ship in Bonaire. Although he enjoyed it a lot, he reallllly wished he would done as the OP is trying to do -- independently. I tried to arrange this for him before the cruise, but none of the operators would do it for a single diver. All of them wanted at least two participants.

What didn't occur to me at the time was to do what he's done in other ports on past cruises: Ask if he can pay double for a private dive guide. This would have worked out to only be $20 or so more than the ship's excursion. It would also have been a much better experience. My husband is not interested in getting certified right now (no time to invest in something he will rarely do) so he does the occasional Discover Scuba. In Bonaire, he was very held back by the rest of the group who were absolutely new to scuba. Obviously, that's as it should be, but it just didn't work well for my husband's needs.

OP, if you have done this before and could move quickly through the land fundamentals and get down to the business of getting into the water, ask about paying a double-rate for a private guide, if you are willing.

What's the problem with using a Discover Scuba class associated with the cruise ship? Especially since you have a firm in mind? Now, I know one of the answers is that it is cheaper to book independently, but at least you'd have the peace of mind that the cruise line has "certified" the dive operator and would back you in case of trouble.

I'm basing my desires on the advise and reviews of other people who have first knowledge and experience of diving and discover scuba. Some advise is:

October 13th, 2005, 11:08 AM

image.php?u=102518&dateline=1143434584bruce-r user_offline.gif

5,000+ Club

icon1.gifThe Pros and Cons of diving with the ships excursion

We get this asked from time to time, so I thought I'd just give my opinion as to what I think are some reasons a person might want to use the ship's dive excursion or make their own arrangement, so here goes

The way shore excursions work is that the cruise line contracts with companies at each port of call to provide the shore excursions the sell on the ships. In most cases, you can make your own arrangements and cut out the cost the cruise line adds to the trip.

Pros of making your own arrangements, at least for diving:

• usually cost less
  • not limited on bottom time, dive your own profile
  • can choose a smaller boat which will be less crowded
  • can have a voice in decided the dive site
  • smaller operator, more personal service
  • better choice for more advanced divers
  • you can shore dive if you want, which is much less expensive and not dependent on someone else's schedule. Grand Cayman is especially good for this.

Cons:

• more work for you to make plans, get to the meeting place
  • ship won't wait if you are late, but being late is highly unlikely

Going with the ship's excursion

Pros:

• easy planning
  • gear is often included
  • good choice for the once a year cruise diver
  • you get to dive with other people from your ship
  • ship will wait if you are late ( this does matter to some people)
  • easier logistically at some ports, especially Belize, or if you arrive in port too late for the morning dive boats from private operators

Cons:

• Usually cost a bit more, sometimes a lot more
  • usually larger boats which can usually mean more people, but not always
  • usually predetermined dive sites
  • usually bottom times are predetermined, or everyone has to surface when the first person is low on air.
  • dives are often follow the leader type dives, which is especially annoying for advanced divers or photographers

I hope this will help others decide which to choose, as there is no one right answer for everyone, every time.

Another person went with the cruise ship Discover Scuba class and was disappointed. His large group was divided into 2 groups. The first group went down and took too much time. He was in the 2nd group and only had 5 minutes bottom time, before it was time to leave.

I'm certified and my wife dives, we want to go with our three adult children who have never dived. They are like fish in the water, have all been on private and school swim teams. I think we'd have a better chance of going with other people who are comfortable in the water, with a non-cruise, non-cattle call group. Cheaper and probably better experience.

Archived