Traveling with Kids and Handicapped Mother - help

zoya19

Hello,

I am new to your forum and have been reading things to do on our cruise and checking out each port of call. I am having a hard time narrowing what to do down based on our circumstances. I am hoping someone will be able to offer some advice and help us out.

We are traveling with 5 people in total. 3 adults, 1 - three year old, 1 - one year old and my Mom (adult - 53 years old) who is disabled and in a wheelchair. We are bringing both her electric and manual chair with us on the ship as I figure we will need to use the manual when doing ports of call.

So, basically we are looking for child friendly and handicapped friendly places.

We are considering renting a vehicle in each place or hiring a cab. Any info. on this would be great as well.

Our ship is the Explorer of the Seas and we leave Jan. 11th.

Thanks so much in advance,

Kathy

Hello,

I am new to your forum and have been reading things to do on our cruise and checking out each port of call. I am having a hard time narrowing what to do down based on our circumstances. I am hoping someone will be able to offer some advice and help us out.

We are traveling with 5 people in total. 3 adults, 1 - three year old, 1 - one year old and my Mom (adult - 53 years old) who is disabled and in a wheelchair. We are bringing both her electric and manual chair with us on the ship as I figure we will need to use the manual when doing ports of call.

So, basically we are looking for child friendly and handicapped friendly places.

We are considering renting a vehicle in each place or hiring a cab. Any info. on this would be great as well.

Kathy

How long are you in port for? I believe Explorer is only there until 3:30 PM making it a bit of a shorter day. I'm new to the forum too but the folks here seem very knowledgable and I'm sure they'll be able to give you some good suggestions :) What is your family interested in doing in Barbados - Beach, sightseeing, shopping?

How long are you in port for? I believe Explorer is only there until 3:30 PM making it a bit of a shorter day. I'm new to the forum too but the folks here seem very knowledgable and I'm sure they'll be able to give you some good suggestions :) What is your family interested in doing in Barbados - Beach, sightseeing, shopping?

We are in port 8:00 - 4:00. We are mostly interested in sightseeing and taking pictures. A couple good souvenir shops would be great but not a lot of shopping. With Mom being in a wheelchair don't think a beach would be that easy either.

cadcow1962 - Thanks for the welcome. :)

Hello,

Kathy

Kathy,

I would look into a privae tour guide. Communicate by e-mail. Explain your circumstances. Depending on room, he might be able to bring along a young stong man to push the wheelchair. (fee or tip) That would take the strain off of you and also your mom would probably feel better in not being a burden. You all could have trouble keeping up with mom. If your mom is able to get out of the wheelchair to get into a vehicle this might work. If not, a ships tour with handicap bus to raise her into the bus.]

I have been in private groups with wheelchairs. I have seen a wife struggle with her husbands wheelchair. Everyone likes to help.

Archived