CPAP machine????

My husband uses a CPAP machine at night to sleep because of severe obstructive sleep apnea. The machine fits into a small backpack. Will we have any problem carrying it onboard? Also, does anyone know about taking it onboard plane as carryon??

If I remember correctly, my father in law had no problem taking his as a carry on when he traveled. You can always call your airline for thier rules and such.

One suggestion would be to take a power stip or extension cord or both, with for the cabin since there is only one outlet at the desk and it's not close to the bed.

Soveriegn 92 E. Caribbean

Majesty 95 W. Caribbean

Granduer 97 E. Caribbean

Rhapsody 00 Mexico

Vision 02 Alaska

Radiance 03 Panama Canal

Brilliance 3/29/04

Radiance of the Seas/Panama Canal 10/18/2003

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2003;10;18;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800Are we there yet?

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2003;10;18;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

My bags are always packed!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;3;29;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Brilliance 3/29/2004

You could also get something from his doctor indicating his need for it. I don't see any problems either taking it on the plane or ship.

Future cruises

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2005;01;14;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Monarch OTS - Mexico Baja 1/05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2004;11;14;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Explorer OTS - Eastern Caribbean 11/04

Past cruises

Vision OTS - Alaska 7/03

Legend OTS - Alaska 7/02

My dh uses a CPAP. We just returned from the Easter Weekend cruise on the Sovereign. We have traveled quite a bit since he started using it. We have always carried the CPAP with us as part of our carryon luggage and have had no problems what so ever. Well, this time, we flew and decided to be brave and pack it in another big bag (in its own case which is well-padded) with the snorkel gear. It traveled beautifully! It went onto the ship with all of our other luggage and then back home on the plane. We will probably check it again if we fly. We will also check it in at the pier instead of lugging it around. Nobody has ever questioned us about it. Have fun on your cruise!

Barbara

Monarch 6/02, 4/03

Enchantment 7/03

Sovereign 12/03, 4/04

Voyager to Canada 7/04

Navigator 12/04

By the way, I second the motion for the extension cord! You never know where the outlets are going to be. So my dh always keeps an 8 ft.cord in the CPAP case. My dh just read my post and wanted me to add that the cord should be at least 6 feet long because sometimes the outlet near the bed is in use. And on a cruise ship, you cabin had very few outlets and they are usually near the vanity/desk.

Barbara

Monarch 6/02, 4/03

Enchantment 7/03

Sovereign 12/03, 4/04

Voyager to Canada 7/04

Navigator 12/04

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by saltyswife:

My husband uses a CPAP machine at night to sleep because of severe obstructive sleep apnea. The machine fits into a small backpack. Will we have any problem carrying it onboard? Also, does anyone know about taking it onboard plane as carryon??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have never had a problem traveling with my CPAP either by plane, train or cruise ship.

I agree, always take a 6-8 foot extension cord with you. Another suggestion is to always take a copy of your "prescription" for the CPAP with you. You can ask your MD for a copy. If your machine ever goes out (which mine did once) you can get a loaner, if and only if you have a copy of your "prescription" with you.

Tom

My husband uses a cpap machine and has traveled extensively with it. He always carries it on - security personnel seem to know what it is. He always takes an extension cord to use in the cabin or hotel room.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Barva:

Well, this time, we flew and decided to be brave and pack it in another big bag (in its own case which is well-padded) with the snorkel gear. It traveled beautifully! It went onto the ship with all of our other luggage and then back home on the plane. We will probably check it again if we fly. We will also check it in at the pier instead of lugging it around. Nobody has ever questioned us about it. Have fun on your cruise!

Barbara

Monarch 6/02, 4/03

Enchantment 7/03

Sovereign 12/03, 4/04

Voyager to Canada 7/04

Navigator 12/04<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The only problem I can see with this is IF you luggage is delayed or lost. Losing that machine or having the bags delayed before a cruise could be trouble. I've had bags misplaced by airlines and not received them for a day or two.

If the bag is lost, then don't expect the airlines to replace his C-PAP. Read you conditions of carefully and I think you'll find they are not going to be responsible.

Future cruises

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2005;01;14;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Monarch OTS - Mexico Baja 1/05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2004;11;14;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Explorer OTS - Eastern Caribbean 11/04

Past cruises

Vision OTS - Alaska 7/03

Legend OTS - Alaska 7/02

Archived