Mariner of the Seas Around the Horn of South America

glgolfer

Joe.......I also have sciatic problems....because I have a spur on my L2. I get injections 3 times per year........meanwhile, I excercise and take Voltarin...........which really seems to help.

I'll have some aboard with me........is it alright to share it with Paul...if you think it would help??

I know.......don't share meds!!:D:D

Rick

Voltaren is just another NSAID (Non Steroidal AntiIflammatory Drug) –If you read the package insert you would be scared to take the drug, but for a short term effect they do help. One just ways the disease effects against the drug side effects or possible complications and take the lesser of the two evils.

The anti inflammatory will work well if the nerve root is inflamed by a protruding disc. It also will help the inflamed ligaments of the back. It all depends on how bad things are as to if you take the medicine or not. I realize this sounds like a politicians response to a yes or no question but it is a judgment call best made on the scene by the ones involved.

I take Darvocet (analgesic and not an NSAID) and that has possible bad effects sometimes in some people.

ASA 81 mg orally daily should be taken by all men over 40. Probably helps with some of the thrombotic side effects of the Voltaren.

FANTASTIC ADVICE on the back pain. Good to STRETCH that back..........and REST and WATER help a lot.

My hubby had 2 herniated disks in the last 7 years and everything you said was right on for helping the pain. Nothing worse than your back hurting since it holds you up all day. Feet hurting and a horrible headache come in second and third.

Hope you get some relief soon Paul.

Voltaren is just another NSAID (Non Steroidal AntiIflammatory Drug) –If you read the package insert you would be scared to take the drug, but for a short term effect they do help. One just ways the disease effects against the drug side effects or possible complications and take the lesser of the two evils.

The anti inflammatory will work well if the nerve root is inflamed by a protruding disc. It also will help the inflamed ligaments of the back. It all depends on how bad things are as to if you take the medicine or not. I realize this sounds like a politicians response to a yes or no question but it is a judgment call best made on the scene by the ones involved.

I take Darvocet (analgesic and not an NSAID) and that has possible bad effects sometimes in some people.

ASA 81 mg orally daily should be taken by all men over 40. Probably helps with some of the thrombotic side effects of the Voltaren.

Thanks Joe,

I also take the 81 mg ASA daily. I use the Voltaren once per day in the morning.........and it seems to work all day long. Just on the lower back and buttock.

I have tried physical therapy.......and it has not really worked. Maybe I need a different therapist!!

Now......back to the Mariner of the Seas.......that has just left Montevideo..........headed for Buenos Aires.......arrival scheduled for 9 AM tomorrow morning!!

Rick

In regards to the back pain... the McKenzie method helped my husband who suffered from a herniated disc (actually 2) a few years ago. At the time, he was 34 years old and was in severe pain and mental anguish (he's an avid outdoorsman who thought life would change significantly for him). After three days in the hospital (he could not move from the pain), he was discharged and met a wonderful physical therapist who subscribed the mcKenzie method. This provided him with a full recovery in a matter of weeks (he felt relief in days). No drugs are special equipment are necessary - a huge advantage for many people. Also, this method can be done in the privacy of one's home (or cruise ship cabin).

In regards to the back pain... the McKenzie method helped my husband who suffered from a herniated disc (actually 2) a few years ago. At the time, he was 34 years old and was in severe pain and mental anguish (he's an avid outdoorsman who thought life would change significantly for him). After three days in the hospital (he could not move from the pain), he was discharged and met a wonderful physical therapist who subscribed the mcKenzie method. This provided him with a full recovery in a matter of weeks (he felt relief in days). No drugs are special equipment are necessary - a huge advantage for many people. Also, this method can be done in the privacy of one's home (or cruise ship cabin).

Michele..........where do I find literature on this???

Rick

Lots of info online if that's what you are looking for.

I have googled it..........and there are many subjects about the McKenzie style, but it sounds like I need to find a trainer that knows and understands that style. The PT that I was with last............was having me do something completely different...........and I was actually having more pain because of it.

Obviously because of the pain is why I'm willing to give something else a try.

Rick

21 and 22 January 2009

21 January: Sea day. The ship feels more crowded, but still not full. Dr Joe (scapel) had talked to marios leather factory and they had vans waiting for us at the pier. Took the ride to the store where I bought a wallet and change holder. Bought a t-shirt at the shop next door and came back to the ship. Judy and some others rented a guide with a van to tour the city. They’ll be hot and tired when they get back to the ship.

Talked to our cabin steward and found out he has been with RCI since 1987, the same as Judy and I. He started on the Nordic Empress. He was wondering if there was any good pizza in the dock area as we agreed RCI has lousy pizza. We both agreed the food has declined on RCI over the years.

Dinner was bean soup and vichyssoise and coq au vin with cobbler and ice cream for dessert.

22 january: Docked in Montevideo, Uruguay. Vans from Mario’s Leather Factory were waiting for us as Dr. Joe (scapel) had contacted them that we were coming. Went to the store and bought a new wallet and coin purse. Also, a t-shirt in the shop next door. Went back to the ship as Judy and some others hired a taxi for a couple hours. They ate lunch at a restaurant the driver recommended and it was very good. Judy had grilled kidneys for $6 and said they were excellent.

Dinner was clam chowder and banarama soup and jerk chicken. Dessert was banana cream pie.

On the way to Buenos Aries.

I hope that the delay did not screw up the Iguazu Falls tour!!

Thanks Paul for the update........and your email. Bobbie had the venue wrong for the M&M.

Sounds like we will not be attending the Platinum/Diamond/D+ party on the next leg. That is too bad that the ship has chosen that venue, but due to the fact that the spill over for the concierge is in the Lotus Lounge, where else would you hold that function??

So.........one week from today.....I head out to Los Angeles....driving! That is my first leg to reach the ship!!:D

Rick

Thanks so much for the posts--from day 1, they have been a 15 minute mini-vacation before my work day begins. Imagining myself on the Mariner with y'all has been wonderful.

Someday (in about 20-25 years, economy willing), DH and I hope to retire with the time and money to take such a dream cruise. But until then, we have to enjoy vicariously through my parents, tracking their ships online through threads such as this one.

...speaking of, if you run into fellow CCers Gayle & Helen (Wichitacruiser), tell them their DD hopes they're behaving themselves. ;)

Michele..........where do I find literature on this???

Rick

Rick - I'm not sure if there are online demonstrations for the exercises; however, I would highly recommend finding a PT that can demonstrate the exercises for you. I'm sorry that I don't have a brochure with sample exercises or I would post them. :(

The idea of the exercises is to move the pain from the legs (if any - my DH only had tingling) to the spine, then you can focus on eliminating the pain from the spine. This method treats the problem instead of the "symptoms" (i.e. solve the problem instead of putting a bandaid on it (make sense?)). It doesn't work for everyone, but it works great for many. My DH had to have pain medication for the first few days, but, ultimately, relied only on the exercises for pain relief - a huge advantage to our livers and kidneys. And, as I previously mentioned, you can do these exercises anywhere you can lie flat or lean against a wall.

Wishing you the best - and pain relief!

ETA: Here's a link that may be useful... http://postrehabblog.blogspot.com/2008/08/post-rehab-tip-14-when-do-i-use.html Just remember - check with your doc/PT before trying these.

Rick - I'm not sure if there are online demonstrations for the exercises; however, I would highly recommend finding a PT that can demonstrate the exercises for you. I'm sorry that I don't have a brochure with sample exercises or I would post them. :(

The idea of the exercises is to move the pain from the legs (if any - my DH only had tingling) to the spine, then you can focus on eliminating the pain from the spine. This method treats the problem instead of the "symptoms" (i.e. solve the problem instead of putting a bandaid on it (make sense?)). It doesn't work for everyone, but it works great for many. My DH had to have pain medication for the first few days, but, ultimately, relied only on the exercises for pain relief - a huge advantage to our livers and kidneys. And, as I previously mentioned, you can do these exercises anywhere you can lie flat or lean against a wall.

Wishing you the best - and pain relief!

ETA: Here's a link that may be useful... http://postrehabblog.blogspot.com/2008/08/post-rehab-tip-14-when-do-i-use.html Just remember - check with your doc/PT before trying these.

Thanks Michele..............you have been a great help!!:);)

Now.......back to the regularly scheduled program......Mariner at dock in Buenos Aires!!

Rick

I

Sounds like we will not be attending the Platinum/Diamond/D+ party on the next leg. That is too bad that the ship has chosen that venue, but due to the fact that the spill over for the concierge is in the Lotus Lounge, where else would you hold that function??

Rick

I must have missed something along the way. Why won't you be attending the P/D/D+ party? Where do they plan to hold it?

I must have missed something along the way. Why won't you be attending the P/D/D+ party? Where do they plan to hold it?

Apparently they hold it in Studio B.........the ice skating rink. I'm told it is very cold and impersonal. Bobbie has stated that she has been to two, and does not care to go again.

They used to be a fun function..........maybe because of some of the cutbacks.........I really don't know.....and won't know till I get aboard.

However.......I have heard the same comment from several others that are presently aboard.

Rick

Apparently they hold it in Studio B.........the ice skating rink. I'm told it is very cold and impersonal. Bobbie has stated that she has been to two, and does not care to go again.

They used to be a fun function..........maybe because of some of the cutbacks.........I really don't know.....and won't know till I get aboard.

However.......I have heard the same comment from several others that are presently aboard.

Rick

Something tells me I'LL be there. :)

Can't wait to see photos of the Iguazu Falls from anyone who goes on the excursion there. We're thinking of going on a SA cruise with a cruisetour to the Falls' date=' maybe sometime in the next five or so years.[/quote']

Here's some videos I found of the falls, thought you might like to see:

Great video on the falls. There is a walking bridge that goes out over the water. At one point it appears that it is just feet from the falls itself.

Enjoy watching

Here's some videos I found of the falls, thought you might like to see:

Great video on the falls. There is a walking bridge that goes out over the water. At one point it appears that it is just feet from the falls itself.

Enjoy watching

Thanks Mary, Enjoyed them very much...

Rick

That doesnt sound like the best place for that,Rick.........do all the officers/staff stand in the middle and talk while everyone else is sitting?? Not much chance to mingle if you ask me.....

Archived