Mariner of the Seas Around the Horn of South America

glgolfer

Here's some videos I found of the falls, thought you might like to see:

Great video on the falls. There is a walking bridge that goes out over the water. At one point it appears that it is just feet from the falls itself.

Enjoy watching

Isn't wonderful that we have the Internet today.......and a way of sharing videos of such wonderful and remote parts of the world.

It was not too many years ago, that if you could not be there in person, you had no idea of what some parts of the world looked like. Now, it can be done watching your monitor.

Thanks Mary.........for giving me what Bobbie was able to see in person....I almost felt like I was there also........thru youtube!!:)

Rick

Thu Jan 22, 4:51 pm ET

AFP/File –

RIO DE JANEIRO (AFP) – A British couple walking through Rio de Janeiro's famous Ipanema beachside district are recovering after being stabbed in an attempted robbery Thursday, according to media reports.

Philip and Alicia Sills, aged 61 and 49, were attacked by a knife-wielding assailant when they tried to fight back.

Philip Sills was wounded in the chest while his wife was injured on her left hand, the G1 news website said.

It was the second reported assault on foreign tourists in Rio within a week.

On January 14, a group of Italians was stopped near Copacabana beach by three robbers with knives who stole their cameras, money and credit cards.

Rio has a well-earned reputation for rampant street crime.

Embassies and authorities advise victims of armed robberies in Brazil to offer no resistance. Assailants often do not hesitate to use their weapons.

Thu Jan 22, 4:51 pm ET

AFP/File –

RIO DE JANEIRO (AFP) – A British couple walking through Rio de Janeiro's famous Ipanema beachside district are recovering after being stabbed in an attempted robbery Thursday, according to media reports.

Philip and Alicia Sills, aged 61 and 49, were attacked by a knife-wielding assailant when they tried to fight back.

Philip Sills was wounded in the chest while his wife was injured on her left hand, the G1 news website said.

It was the second reported assault on foreign tourists in Rio within a week.

On January 14, a group of Italians was stopped near Copacabana beach by three robbers with knives who stole their cameras, money and credit cards.

Rio has a well-earned reputation for rampant street crime.

Embassies and authorities advise victims of armed robberies in Brazil to offer no resistance. Assailants often do not hesitate to use their weapons.

Thanks for the report Joe.

Unfortunately, I think that crime towards tourists in certain Countries and Cities will be on the increase......as all are feeling the economic crunch..almost worldwide.

We just must be more vigilant now, and in the future.

Rick

Mary, thanks for the youtube links - truly a beautiful place. Rick is so right - today's technology enables so many opportunities to view things that were not available only a few short years ago.

Joe, thanks for the news piece - really a shame everyone has to be just that much more cautious of one's wellbeing and safety these days.

Isn't wonderful that we have the Internet today.......and a way of sharing videos of such wonderful and remote parts of the world.

It was not too many years ago, that if you could not be there in person, you had no idea of what some parts of the world looked like. Now, it can be done watching your monitor.

Thanks Mary.........for giving me what Bobbie was able to see in person....I almost felt like I was there also........thru youtube!!:)

Rick

I understand totally what you are saying. It took my breath away at points of each video. Looking for the video was a "chance" thing last night and then when I found two right away that were great, I just had to post them. It would be so amazing to see the falls in person (just not in one of those tiny boats ... YIKES :eek: ).

PH - the M&Ms are held in the lotus Lounge which is the right venue for them. Well attended and Abe raffles off lots of prizes.

The first P/D/D+ affair was in studio B from 1030 to 1200 with derinks and canapes. If they do the same thing this leg, no one will go.

Haven't heard where or when it will be.

PH - the M&Ms are held in the lotus Lounge which is the right venue for them. Well attended and Abe raffles off lots of prizes.

The first P/D/D+ affair was in studio B from 1030 to 1200 with derinks and canapes. If they do the same thing this leg, no one will go.

Paul........have you brought this to anyones attention onboard?? Bobbie said that it was so bad that she won't go again!! It would seem that there are other venues onboard that would be better suited for this!!

Rick

Is the ship staying on EST? Just trying to finalize some tours.

Excellent question, I know on our med. cruise times were local times at each port.

I think we will be in 4 time zones.

Chile est +2

Peru same as est

C.R cst

Mexico, Acapulco cst

Mexico, Cobo mst

LA pst

I think the M&M is 04-Feb-2009 11:00:00 AM, Ellingon's Lounge

Do the some how give you a reminder at it gets closer ?

You'll get invitations in your cabin that you can't miss. The M&Ms are in the Lotus Lounge now, not Ellingtons. It will be on the invitation.

We're 3 hours ahead now as it's 1700 here and it's 1400 EST. We'll fall back 6 hours (get an extra hour on 6 nights) between now and LA.

Same comment as on Carol's thread.

The Star Princess is doing a similar run from Buenos Aires to Chile (I think) round the horn. Not an active thread (25 posts since Jan 17th) but there are some good observations about the various port stops.

They are a few days ahead of the Mariner.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=908244

Same comment as on Carol's thread.

The Star Princess is doing a similar run from Buenos Aires to Chile (I think) round the horn. Not an active thread (25 posts since Jan 17th) but there are some good observations about the various port stops.

They are a few days ahead of the Mariner.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=908244

You are right.......a few nice reports. I'm looking forward to exploring Santiago next week. I'm just now starting to check it out on the internet.

Rick

You'll get invitations in your cabin that you can't miss. The M&Ms are in the Lotus Lounge now, not Ellingtons. It will be on the invitation.

We're 3 hours ahead now as it's 1700 here and it's 1400 EST. We'll fall back 6 hours (get an extra hour on 6 nights) between now and LA.

Thanks Paul, see ya soon.

I have had the privilege of being there twice. It is so spectacular. Pictures can't really show the beauty. And if you ever have the chance to overnite there, Hotel das Cataratas is beautiful. A must see....

That is a beautiful picture!!:)

Rick

Great videos, was amazed at all the snow. AND LOVED the balcony. WOW, it was huge.

It looks like Joe had a Family Ocean View on a M class Celebrity ship. The two on the Vista deck aft corner have wonderful balconies.

Just wonderful pictures Joe. Makes me want to go out and purchase a video camera before I take off on Friday!!:)

Rick

Just passed 6588 nautical miles. It's day 23 of 46. Still feels like we just got on.

We'll have 40 credits the end of this leg and should get our 2nd crystal ship.

We round Cape Horn Wednesday.

Hi Paul,

Have enjoyed reading your posts on this amazing cruise. Susan and I are sailing on the Mariner on 3/1/09. We sure hope you and Judy are having a wonderful time. We often think about you guys...reminiscing about our British Isles/Norwegian Fjord cruise together on the Jewel. Susan and I just returned from a 2-week getaway in our 5th wheel and are now getting really excited about being on board for our first Voyager Class ship. Since the Jewel we have sailed on the Monarch and the Serenade. We did the Monarch (before she left the West Coast) in order to become Diamond for our 14-night Serenade cruise to Alaska out of San Francisco...our 6th Alaskan cruise. Nancy and Curtis joined us on the Serenade...we had a BLAST!! At one time, they were booked on one of the legs of your cruise, unfortunately they had to cancel.

Would love to see your pictures of this cruise, especially the Horn.

You and Judy take care of one another,

Bob

Here's some videos I found of the falls, thought you might like to see:

Great video on the falls. There is a walking bridge that goes out over the water. At one point it appears that it is just feet from the falls itself.

Enjoy watching

WOW, those falls are simply amazing!!:cool:

Thanks for posting the link, Mary!! :D

Archived