Costa Rica White Water Rafting

cancun2

We are visiting Costa Rica in March 09 with the Carnival Freedom and have looked into White Water Rafting Tours with Danilo Hall and Charlie Soto. The price was relatively similar being 85 and 95 respectively. Does anyone have any experience with either of these guys?? I am leary of booking a private excursion and am wondering about safety, getting back to ship on time etc. Any info would be appreciated.

We are visiting Costa Rica in March 09 with the Carnival Freedom and have looked into White Water Rafting Tours with Danilo Hall and Charlie Soto. The price was relatively similar being 85 and 95 respectively. Does anyone have any experience with either of these guys?? I am leary of booking a private excursion and am wondering about safety, getting back to ship on time etc. Any info would be appreciated.

We had a Charlie Soto tour with Ray and Stayton that was a great one, along the way we met Danilo Hall. I would be comfortable with either one.

It is my understanding that the rafting is quite a distance out, but both are very reliable.

We used Danillo HIll onour cruise over Christmas. He was waiting for us at the pier. We went on the 1 hour drive right up to the water. Carnival parked at the top of the hill because the bus is so big and all their passengers there had to walk down probably a mile at least. I did NOT read that in the Carnival trip info. I was so glad we booked with Danillo. We were back to the ship with plenty of time and learned alot about Costa Rica from our 1 hour drive to the white water rafting. OMG this is a fun fun excursion for families. We have a 13 & 17 year old and the four of us had a blast!!

Oscar Brown arranged a tour for ten of us, whitewater rafting on the Reventazon in the morning, ziplining nearer to Limon in the afternoon.

Guides were Alex Segura and Alvaro (lastname?), with colleague Jimmy in support kayak. Alex and Alvaro are expert rivermen, raft and kayak both. As the flows were low (dam releases limited due to dam employees being on holiday previous two days), scouting was essential to find the best line through the Class III-IV whitewater. We've rafted in California in similar and bigger water, and I attest these guys are among the best at their 'craft'. Alex is arguably the top riverman in CR. Kudos to Oscar for making arrangements with them. My 80 year-old father made it downriver, in great shape. See:

http://www.costaricaextreme.com/

http://www.oscarbrowntours.com/

Conditions on the Costa Rican rivers can change minute by minute. Expert local guides are, IMO, essential. Safety was taken very seriously. And it needs to be, as accidents can always happen, even to the best.

We used Danillo HIll onour cruise over Christmas. He was waiting for us at the pier. We went on the 1 hour drive right up to the water. Carnival parked at the top of the hill because the bus is so big and all their passengers there had to walk down probably a mile at least. I did NOT read that in the Carnival trip info. I was so glad we booked with Danillo. We were back to the ship with plenty of time and learned alot about Costa Rica from our 1 hour drive to the white water rafting. OMG this is a fun fun excursion for families. We have a 13 & 17 year old and the four of us had a blast!!

Hey, we were with Danillo too that day! Were you in my boat? My wife was in the middle of the boat with splints on her wrist (carpal tunnel). I might actually have a picture of you as I took a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

On the Carnival excursions page it says kids must be 12 to zipline or go water rafting. Has anyone used local guides that would allow an 8 and 11 year old to go? Would it be safe? They are very brave and would love to do it if it was safe.

Hi Jeffski,

My daughter is 10 and she wants to go rafting also. I contacted a private tour (okeydokeytours.com), spoke with Charlie and he said that she wouldn't have any problems. There are 3 of us and we need a few more to fill the raft, when are you going? We are going March 21.

If you get a chance, check him out.

Archived