Carnival Pride

XXX21XXX

We will be cruising on the Pride in February from Long Beach and I have a few questions.

First of all we will need transportation from LAX to Long Beach, any suggestions?

Second I need suggestions for things to do, on our own, in Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, and Cabo San Lucas. We like to get to know the area but on our own. What are things we can see and do for the day. Thanks

For 3 of the 4 cruises we have taken from Long Beach (on the Pride), we used the Carnival Shuttle. We normally arrive a day early, stay at the Doubletree in El Segundo, and then have the hotel shuttle take us to the airport on Sunday, and then take the Carnival Shuttle to Long Beach. There is a Super Shuttle van-type service that we used once that charges $15 a person, I believe, and I believe a cab is about $60. There is a transportation desk immediately outside the baggage claim area of all the terminals, and they can provide prices and assist you there.

At Mazatlan, we always use Randi's Happy Horses - she has a website, and they are numerous posts about Randi in the Pride reviews. At each of the ports, there will be numerous independent tour guides there awaiting you, and from what I've read and heard from fellow passengers, they seem to be reliable.

We normally use Carnival sponsored tours - last March we took the Zodiac whale watching excursion at Cabo, and saw whales up close. By the way, as you approach Cabo going south, you probably will be able to see whales from the ship. Also, last March we went to the Rhythms of the Night excursion which was very good.

Enjoy your trip.:)

Yesterday morning, we took a taxi from the Long Beach terminal back to LAX. $55. With 4 people, that seemed to be the best deal.

A week ago, we rented a car from LAX and drove to Long Beach the day before. Started out cheaper than a shuttle, and we took a scenic drive down the coast to have lunch in Redondo Beach, then stayed at the Hyatt in Long Beach. I had the car to make a booze run. However, we had to take the car back to Long Beach Airport Sunday morning, and shuttle for 4 of us back to the pier was $28. You have to decide if the convenience of a car is worth it. Hyatt does not have free shuttle to pier.

We took Super Shuttle, it was fine there were 8 of us - $ 15.00PP

In Cabo there will be vendors on the dock, asking to take you on a 45 minute tour - Price varies from $ 8.00 pp to $ 10.00 pp - It is a great tour, the boat takes you out to an island which you can see from the ship - the name escapes me right now - the boats are glass bottom, so they make sure that you have a chance to see the multitudes of fish in the water - they take you pretty close to the island and there are lots of seals - good photo ops. OUr driver took pictures of us with the island and the ship in the background - It was a great trip for a minimal amount of money.

Also we flew in the day before and spent the night on the Queen Mary - you can do early check in right at the Queen Mary, very convenient. The food on the QM is very expensive - there are free buses that will take you to other restuarants if you desire.

I had the car to make a booze run. However, we had to take the car back to Long Beach Airport Sunday morning, and shuttle for 4 of us back to the pier was $28. You have to decide if the convenience of a car is worth it. Hyatt does not have free shuttle to pier.

Thats what I have to do! What shuttle did you use for $28.00 for 4? Did you have to make reservations? Any help would be appreciated!

Thats what I have to do! What shuttle did you use for $28.00 for 4? Did you have to make reservations? Any help would be appreciated!

There is a shuttle "hut" next to the car rental return, across from the terminal. We did not book ahead. There were several waiting. We were told at the hotel it would be $21, but shuttle guys told us that was to downtown, it is a little more to the pier.

I should mention that Long Beach has free trolly service around downtown. You should be able to get to stores using them, but we never tried because we had the car.

Second I need suggestions for things to do, on our own, in Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, and Cabo San Lucas. We like to get to know the area but on our own. What are things we can see and do for the day. Thanks

Sorry, forgot about your 2nd question. Not sure I'm much help. We didn't do much in the ports. We have two kids, my sister has 2 2yo twins, so no long excursions.

In PV, we just took a cab to downtown, walked and shopped along the beach. We went back to the ship early, and enjoyed a peaceful relaxing day in the pools and nearly empty dining areas.

In Mazatlan, DH and 2 dd's and I got a cab to the Gold Zone, to Los Sabados hotel. Cab driver took us to the back into the pool area. We played on the beach and used the pool. Ordered lunch and drinks. No one seemed to mind. Did a little shopping afterwards and headed back to ship. For my kids, this was their favorite port day, just playing in the ocean.

In Cabo, we stayed within walking distance of marina. My sister visited friends at an all-inclusive hotel (Rio Santa Fe), but it was very hard to get past the front desk to find them without paying to go in. They ran into somwone they knew so were able to get inside. Otherwise, they want about $60 USDpp. They said it was very nice, and would like to go back just to stay there for a week some time. Mom and I had a beer and chips at No Worries bar along the marina. Very nice time. But we didn't do a lot. With older/no kids would have liked to do more in the ports, but as it was we had a good time. It was a family Christmas trip, so we focused more on being together than on what we could see/do.

We took Super Shuttle, it was fine there were 8 of us - $ 15.00PP

In Cabo there will be vendors on the dock, asking to take you on a 45 minute tour - Price varies from $ 8.00 pp to $ 10.00 pp - It is a great tour, the boat takes you out to an island which you can see from the ship - the name escapes me right now - the boats are glass bottom, so they make sure that you have a chance to see the multitudes of fish in the water - they take you pretty close to the island and there are lots of seals - good photo ops. OUr driver took pictures of us with the island and the ship in the background - It was a great trip for a minimal amount of money.

Also we flew in the day before and spent the night on the Queen Mary - you can do early check in right at the Queen Mary, very convenient. The food on the QM is very expensive - there are free buses that will take you to other restuarants if you desire.

Hi

We're thinking of the glass bottom boats in Cabo during our Jan 31 cruise. Another poster said it was dangerous and to avoid it at all cost? Did you think there was any danger?

Thanks!

Our friends used Super Shuttle. They said they were fine. You can also check on the west coast departure boards for more info and the Mexican Riviera boards. We did the zipline tour on our own in PV, in Cabo we just walked around near the pier then went to Cabo Wabo for drinks and listened to the band playing, they were pretty good. When we got to Mazatlan, it was pouring all morning, so that eliminated our trip to Stone Island. When it cleard up a little we just took a cab to the "gold zone" and shopped a bit. I definitely didn't like the look of the beaches around this area. Maybe it was just because of th storms that had just passed through. I'll have to give it another try.

Archived