Mexican Riviera...Long Beach or San Pedro???

All,

I am sailing the Mexican Riviera on the RCI Mariner of the Seas June 14th. We (the party of 14) are arriving in LAX on June 12th at noon. We are looking to stay close to the port (Long Beach), but aren't sure whether to stay at Long Beach or San Pedro? We have an active group and would like to be in walking distance of restaurants, bars, and other activities for the 2 days we will have prior to our cruise. Also, do any hotels offer a shuttle from Long Beach to the pier (San Pedro) the morning of our cruise? If not, how much would a taxi cost from say the Renaissance in Long Beach to the San Pedro pier? Please advise, all responses are greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Bob

Chicago

P.S. I am interested in the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro or the Renaissance in Long Beach.

RCCL uses the San Pedro port. The Crowne Plaza Hotel is four blocks from the RCCL cruise terminal. They offer a free shuttle to the cruise terminal as well.

It is also close to Ports O'Call (walking distance) and the Maritime Museum (also walking distance).

LOTS more to do in Long Beach.. Shoreline Village has tons of restaurants, activities, shopping, etc.. And it's not that far from San Pedro. If I had to pick one, it would be L.B. I can't give you hotel info., but most hotels in the area are nice. Also, I can't comment on transportation cost, but San Pedro is not that far from L.B.

FYI: I live here in SoCal.....

LOTS more to do in Long Beach.. Shoreline Village has tons of restaurants, activities, shopping, etc.. And it's not that far from San Pedro. If I had to pick one, it would be L.B. I can't give you hotel info., but most hotels in the area are nice. Also, I can't comment on transportation cost, but San Pedro is not that far from L.B.

FYI: I live here in SoCal.....

Agree here with klfhngr - if you are staying beyond just a night, I would not stay in San Pedro. Try to get a 4* on Priceline in Long Beach - many of them have free shuttles to San Pedro. But then, it wouldn't be more than a $15 cab fare or so - they are really quite close together - maybe 15 minutes away. You have the Aquarium of the Pacific nearby, the Queen Mary, and many shops and restaurants in Long Beach. I often get the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro for $65 on Priceline, but I wouldn't stay there beyond one night. Nice enough place, but the gym sucks.:rolleyes:

We've stayed in San Pedro and in Long Beach. If I was staying more than 1 night, I would choose Long Beach. There is so much to do and see there. Don't miss the aquarium -- it is amazing.

Long Beach is just minutes from San Pedro (just over the LONG bridge), so you will be close to the port either way.

Here's some information (reviews with photos) that I found about the Doubletree in San Pedro:

Report - Doubletree Hotel San Pedro by CJW - Cruise Critic Message Boards

And here for the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro:

Report - Crowne Plaza Hotel San Pedro by CJW - Cruise Critic Message Boards

We have stayed a couple of times at the Doubletree. Nice hotel, beautiful location but not within walking distance of much. Would recommend the hotel.

Thanks all for the great info provided!!! We will be staying from Friday around noon until our cruise leave Sunday morning, so almost 2 days. We will definitely stay in a 4 star in Long Beach. Great!!!

Great choice!!!!!!! Enjoy, and advanced welcome to Southern California!

FYI: Many conventions take place during that time of year, I highly recommend that you book in advance! If no hotels are available, your group can stay at my place, I'm 5/10 minutes away from DisneyLand!! ;)

I'm on the Mariner 5/3/09 - I booked at the Crowne. Room includes 2 drinks, free breakfast, and all transfers (LAX to hotel, hotel to pier and pier back to LAX). A little pricey but not too bad when it includes all the transfers.

For one night, the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro was a great option for our family. The beds are quite comfortable. Be sure to use their wake-up call service. A year ago they offered a guaranteed wake-up call. They didn't call us so we started our cruise with a nice savings on the hotel. Don't worry, we were so excited about boarding the ship we woke up without our wake-up call.

I have not used Priceline for the Hyatt, but I think if you bid you have several hotels in the 4* category in Long Beach that you may be allocated, the Hyatt being one of them. I have stayed there - the hotel is ok, the gym is good, and we had a view of the Pride from our window. There are lots of shops across the street to browse in. I would stay there again.;)

Archived