NCL Sky with an under-2 toddler (12/22-12/26 review)

Shaylot

I have found some of the reviews posted here to be invaluable so I want to give back as best I could. Here is a non-comprehensive review of the best parts and worst parts of our recent cruise with NCL Sky.

We have cruised before but this is our first time with NCL and our first time with a toddler. Vacationing with a toddler certainly changes your perspective on the word "vacation." As such, this is a review primarily for people who want this perspective. Everything I write here is just my opinion. I'll be happy to clarify anything or respond to requests for additional info as best I can. If you were on our sailing (or previous sailings) please feel free to put in your 2 cents too, that's what makes these boards so great.

Ok. So, here we go.

Embarkation was terrific. If I recall, we arrived at around 12:30 or 1:00 or so. I have never experienced such quick and efficient checking in. I had read this on previous posts and was happy to see it was true. This was especially great for travel with an antsy kiddo. The port (NCL?) staff were great at directing us on where to drop off our luggage. We headed to the building for check-in where there was a short line. The staff was great at accomodating our stroller needs (directing us to ramps/elevators).

Onboard, we went our room and found housekeeping there. So, we went up for lunch. Once we were cleared to go to our rooms at 2:00 for a diaper change we hit a snafu. The keys didn't work. We went to the reception desk twice and they said the keys ought to be fine. They sent security to see about it. I can't say that they came quickly, but they did come fairly shortly thereafter. I understand things are pretty hectic at that time. Until they came, we had to do an impromptu diaper change in the hall. It was unpleasant for all involved. It turned out to be a battery issue and was fixed promptly. I wonder if there was any way to avoid that. Check that battery in the door works during housekeeping? How did the staff get in there not one hour earlier? That said, it leads me to another kid-related issue with the ship: there are no baby change stations in the public restrooms. (At least not in any I checked). That was a big issue for us. I can't imagine why most public stores and restaurants have this but the ship did not. Big minus.

Ok, back at the room. I was surprised at the size of the room. When you cruise, you expect small rooms, but still. We had booked a balcony knowing we would benefit from the extra inches wherever we could get them. The only other balcony we had ever been in was the Carnival Conquest which was certainly larger (if memory serves). The closet space was also very limited. That said, we made do and it wasn't so bad. We were traveling with a carseat (for taxi transfers) and had room for it in the closet. We had requested a pack and play crib/playpen and found it in our room ready for us. It looked like it had seen better days, with chipped plastic at the top edges, but at least nothing too sharp as to cause concern about injuries. They provide you with an adult sheet in the crib -- if you are worried about suffocation for little ones, bring your own fitted sheet. They also give you a baby-sized pillow which was a nice touch but our little one doesn't use pillows yet. The pack and play also had a nice side pocket to store toys. Other thoughts: The TV usually had the cartoon network available (signal permitting - that was good too.) Showering our toddler was nearly impossible. The doors to the balcony and bathroom are heavy enough that our little one could not open them -a big safety concern for us.

Some words about the food. I'm not a foodie and I'm vegetarian - so I cannot give you a real food review. I thought the food was adequate. I thought the vegetraian options were somewhat lacking. It was pizza, pasta and salad most days for lunch and there was always some kind of Indian cuisine available too. For lunch, I didn't find the buffet lines too long. The ice cream and cookies were delicious. High chairs were always available. The staff was great at walking around and tidying up and answering questions about the food.

We always ate at Crossings for dinner - though I can't say why. The person in charge of seating was terrific. She always recognized our party and knew what we needed (how many people plus a high chair). That said, the service was atrociously slow. Often at least a half an hour would pass before someone came to take our order. Then between courses it was slow too. Those in our party without kids agreed. Us, with a toddler, found that it was too long. The dinner veggie options were not so great either. Also, I wish they would do what Princess does: highlight the veggie options on the menu. That way we'd know that the sweet potato bisque has a meat base without having to ask the wait staff and have them run back into the kitchen to find out. Finally, we were disappointed that the items advertised as being "always available" were suddenly not available on the Xmas menu.

We sat at the back of two of the shows. We did not see enough to comment on them. The biggest issue was that we always arrived late due to the slow service of the dining room staff. I advise to budget more time to eat in order to make a 7:30 show. For us, going to eat dinner at 5:45 was not enough time.

We really appreciated that NCL had a "toy zoo" for under 2. It was just a bunch of toys set up in the Outrigger lounge. No staff person, just toys. It was really thoughtful. If only they would coordinate better and not have the times printed wrong in the Freestyle Daily.

There is a cute little splash pool at the aft of the ship. The water is about 2ft deep. That may be too deep for a some little ones. So I just wanted to put that out there.

We ended up staying in Nassau for 2 days and never made it to the NCL's island. We were looking forward to beach play... That was really disapointing - though we understand these things happen - weather and all. I wish we could have at least gone to some other port (we've been on cruises that have done that) so we'd at least see/do something different.

Finally, disembarking was pretty smooth too. We needed assistance, so no express walk -off for us. We opted for the latest time. There were definitely long-ish lines, but at least they moved. Other people we knew disembarked earlier and said there were no lines. The bags were easy to locate and a cab quick to find.

So, that's that. All in all, we chose NCL because kids under 2 cruise free (plus taxes and fees). I can't say that I'd run to book it again over all other options but I also can't say that I won't. It depends on so much (price, ports, our life situation). But then again I admit that I cannot compare traveling on a 4 day cruise with a toddler to the previous 7 day cruises pre-kid. I just cannot be objective enough to compare.

I hope this has been helpful. Please let me say again: Everything I write here is just my opinion. I'll be happy to clarify anything or respond to requests for additional info as best I can.

Happy Sailing!

Archived