Discover Scuba Questions

tcfila

I was hoping to do this with my family. We would all like to get certified, but have been waiting for my son to turn 10. He just turned 10, se we were considering this. My question is:

Son is very small for his age. Shorter than average and very skinny (was born prematurely). He is athletic and has never really had problems before, but since I'm a newbie... is he going to be able to hold the tank? Might seem dumb, but I wanted to ask before we get everybody excited about it and then have issues...

And what about trying a Discover Scuba in my area (would be in a pool). wOULD THAT BE A GOOD IDEA, OR A WASTE OF TIME? (sorry about the caps...)

Also, do the kids need proof of age?

Thanks!

Doing a Discover Scuba dive in the pool with the local dive shop is an excellent idea.

He doesn't have to use the standard 80 cu. ft. tank, he could use a 66 cu. ft. tank instead. Talk with the instructor at the dive shop and see what (s)he has to say about it.

I highly recommend that you look into a discover dive at home given your son's age. Do some research and go to a reputable place. SCUBA is dangerous without proper training, and fairly complicated for someone as young as ten. The average 10 year old is not developmentally ready to handle to complexity.

I highly recommend that you look into a discover dive at home given your son's age. Do some research and go to a reputable place. SCUBA is dangerous without proper training, and fairly complicated for someone as young as ten. The average 10 year old is not developmentally ready to handle to complexity.

TOTALLY agree. At that age, it really depends on the individual's cognitive abilities.

Thanks for the info! I tend to be the worry-wart, dad tends to be super excited and ready to hit the water. I think we'll pursue it here first (it's only $25/person) and see how he does.

Thanks Bruce - I expected it would be you who answered. ;o)

i have done the beginner scuba in grand cayman, and i witnessed the beginner scuba in coz. by far, the people in grand cayman (don fosters i think it was) was by far better. we did our training in a pool first, then went into the water and it was incredible!

we watched the beginner scuba class in coz, where they walked into the water and began there on the beach. i personally thought the pool was a more controlled environment and i felt safer that way.

preemie....does your son have any health problems? asthma? because they will have you fill out paperwork too. and the tanks are very heavy.

hope this helps some.

i would never want to discourage anyone from trying it. it was the most amazing thing i've ever done. i LOVED IT. but safety first always.

Actually yes, he does have Asthma.

We decided to wait one more year until both mom AND dad are excited and nobody is worried. Thanks for all of the input! :rolleyes:

you might want to check and make sure he can dive with asthma. i cannot remember if that is a "no-go". I'm sure some of the "divers" on the boards can answer that. I want to say I remember reading somewhere that you couldn't, or had to at least have a letter from Dr.

For your trip, I suggest snuba. Safe for all ages and even those with asthma. There is no tank to carry and no time spent in the pool learning. You can go to about 10feet deep.

You are not supossed to dive if you have asthma. Many of us still do and I judge my depth based on symptoms.

For your trip, I suggest snuba. Safe for all ages and even those with asthma. There is no tank to carry and no time spent in the pool learning. You can go to about 10feet deep.

You are not supossed to dive if you have asthma. Many of us still do and I judge my depth based on symptoms.

After I sent my first response, I thought that snuba might be a good alternative. While I've never done snuba, it seems like a good and safe way to try the experience, even if it isn't the whole experience of scuba. At 10 years old, I would have been pysched.

You'll want to check with your son's doctor about scuba for sure (your doc should complete a form), and I would check with the doc about snuba.

I liked my dives with www.Divewithmartin.com they are located on the pier where the ships dock in Cozumel. They charge $60 for the discovery dive when done from the shore and $80 when done from a boat. My first dives were from shore and I think that is a pretty good way for a beginner to start.

There usually is no surf in Cozumel, you don't have to worry about being tossed around by waves.

Archived