Christmas on Carnival, why so different?

cpprinttom

:confused:

Why have I seen several reviews saying that Carnival does not celebrate Christmas on their ships? We were on Liberty Dec 6-13 and there were Christmas Trees, wreaths, and garland everywhere you looked on the ship. They also had Christmas music playing everywhere including in the elevators, dining rooms, promenade deck, and the atrium. They even had a Christmas show one night which was one of the best shows I have EVER seen on a cruise.

I guess my question is how it could be so different on each ship. does each ship decide what to do for Christmas or does corporate make the decision?

The only reason it didn't feel like Christmas for us is because it was 80 degrees, unlike the 15 degrees it was when we got home.

Fantasy had a tiny eight foot tree hiding behind the piano in the atrium bar. Not really Christams feeling for our family. The show was good though. Some garland up in the atrium and a neon tree on the sports deck wrapped up the decorations. Some music in the hallways, but drowned out with music from bars and lido deck bands. I was Ok with it though because if I wanted traditional xmas I would have just stayed at home.

Since there have been so many differing reports, it would seem that the management of each ship chooses what and how much decorations go up. Some must get more into the holiday spirit than others.

I'm wondering if the ones who spend less money on Christmas get a bigger bonus at the end of the year?

from the Destiny. Did a back to back that had us in port between the cruises on Christmas Day.

The ship had a tree in the lobby bar between the staircaes. Behind that there was an Minora (I hope I spelled that correctly). There were 4 30' translucent hangings of Christmas Trees in the atrium. All decks had garland and other hangings displayed on areas that bordered the atrium areas.

There was Christmas music playing from 12/20 thru 12/29, the entire time we were onboard. The Christmas menu was printed special and we were serverd champagne on Christmas day on the lido.

I know I would really miss all of the decorations, Christmas music, etc if I were to take a cruise at Chrsitmas.....even it if were 80 degrees !

I wouldn't...then again I'm not a Christmas(y) type of person. That being said I wouldn't like to see any ship decorated for any "holiday" except Memorial Day, 4th of July and Veteran's Day.

Signed,

Ebenezer

I wouldn't...then again I'm not a Christmas(y) type of person. That being said I wouldn't like to see any ship decorated for any "holiday" except Memorial Day, 4th of July and Veteran's Day.

Signed,

Ebenezer

Amen...I am glad that Carnival seems to be cutting back on the christmas stuff...some peope cruise to get away from it, or at least less of it. ;)

Why have I seen several reviews saying that Carnival does not celebrate Christmas on their ships? We were on Liberty Dec 6-13 and there were Christmas Trees, wreaths, and garland everywhere you looked on the ship. They also had Christmas music playing everywhere including in the elevators, dining rooms, promenade deck, and the atrium. They even had a Christmas show one night which was one of the best shows I have EVER seen on a cruise.

I guess my question is how it could be so different on each ship. does each ship decide what to do for Christmas or does corporate make the decision?

The only reason it didn't feel like Christmas for us is because it was 80 degrees, unlike the 15 degrees it was when we got home.

Their ships are always decked with holly, so to speak. Most folks who are complaining are upset because there was no traditional (religious) observation or Christmas music, nor other signs of religious celebration.

Others are upset because of the presence of Menorah onboard - equating that with Christmas being ignored. They don't understand the difference between the holidays; Christmas being a "religious" holiday and Hanukkah being a season of celebration of the rededication of the Temple in Jerusalem after the Maccabean revolt in the 2nd Century.

Some folks simply don't understand that not everyone considers Christmas to be a religious holiday and to openly tout it with all the attending ceremony, music and rituals would be an insult to others who do not share in that belief.

Religion has no place in a public forum or arena.

What I find odd is how you will have two people on the same ship - one complaining there is too much Christmas music and one complaining not enough. We were on the Splendor the week after Thanksgiving and when walking through the hallways to cabins, etc Christmas music was playing all the time. I even noticed it while in the Lido buffet. Overall not a lot of Christmas decorations except in the atrium. I think they could have done more trees, lights.

However you have those people that will get offended by decoration and those offended by the lack of them - but guess what those who are offended by them will always win. My boyfriend isn't allowed to put up any Christmas decorations at the company he works for because a few years ago they had 1 customer that complained about them and they haven't been put up since.

Amen...I am glad that Carnival seems to be cutting back on the christmas stuff...some peope cruise to get away from it, or at least less of it. ;)

This and a few other post did nothing to answer my question, thanks for wasting my time reading this. If you have no comments that relate to my question why did you even post? And from what I saw on Liberty, Carnival did nothing to CUT BACK. HAHA

This and a few other post did nothing to answer my question, thanks for wasting my time reading this. If you have no comments that relate to my question why did you even post? And from what I saw on Liberty, Carnival did nothing to CUT BACK. HAHA

That is something you may have to write the home office about.

However you have those people that will get offended by decoration and those offended by the lack of them - but guess what those who are offended by them will always win. My boyfriend isn't allowed to put up any Christmas decorations at the company he works for because a few years ago they had 1 customer that complained about them and they haven't been put up since.

That's sad........that's why I love running my own business.

I always make a point of answering the phone "Merry Christmas"

While others say "Happy Holidays":D

we got off the Liberty Dec 6 & it had Christmas decorations & the Christmas show. I didn't hear Christmas music though. I thought they showed a great interest in the holiday.

Here are some pic I took on the Legend The first weekend after Thanksgiving. I don't think they went over board with the decoration. There was Christmas music being played, but not all the time, thankfully.

100_3378.jpg

100_3380.jpg

100_3646.jpg

100_3647.jpg

100_3650.jpg

Thanks for the pictures. I actually like the decorations. :)

Pat

The Paradise on the 1/2/06 cruise was decorated in the atrium and in other areas with greens, lights, village scenes and several Christmas Trees. There was also 1 menorah in the atrium. Christmas music was also being played.

The Elation was beginning to be decorated on our 12/4/08 cruise. No menorah, just the village scene with 'snow'. No music yet.

Their ships are always decked with holly' date=' so to speak. Most folks who are complaining are upset because there was no traditional (religious) observation or Christmas music, nor other signs of religious celebration.

Others are upset because of the presence of Menorah onboard - equating that with Christmas being ignored. They don't understand the difference between the holidays; Christmas being a "religious" holiday and Hanukkah being a season of celebration of the rededication of the Temple in Jerusalem after the Maccabean revolt in the 2nd Century.

Some folks simply don't understand that not everyone considers Christmas to be a religious holiday and to openly tout it with all the attending ceremony, music and rituals would be an insult to others who do not share in that belief.

Religion has no place in a public forum or arena.[/quote']

Oh the price of being politically correct!

Why would anyone who enjoys Christmas go on a cruise that week?

:confused::confused::confused:

Some people are not near family on the holiday & may enjoy it on a cruise. I would love to try a cruise for Christmas or New Years. Our family lives in NY & CT & we live in Florida so we fly up one year in summer, next at Christmas. This year was home & I had gotten off a cruise Dec 6 & wished I was still on one! Post cruise depression.

Why would anyone who enjoys Christmas go on a cruise that week?

:confused::confused::confused:

Because Christmas is two days after our anniversary and we celebrated our 30th anniversary by getting on Conquest last year and beginning a 7 day cruise.

It was the First time we'd ever not been home for Christmas. We didn't even leave on our honeymoon until after Christmas that year. I'd always wanted to get married at Christmas, it's a tradition in DH's family to get married on December 23 and there you have it.

In comparing notes with someone who was on this year's Conquest Christmas cruise there was a significant difference between last year's decorations and treatment of Christmas and this year's. I assumed it was a cost cutting measure.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=895390&highlight=

Each ship has an annual "decorating" budget from corporate and the extent of Xmas/Chanukah/Kwanza decorating is at the discretion of the Hotel Manager.

Archived