Belize: Altun Ha or Lamanai?

dalgirl

We did Lamanai & New River and LOVED it. I can't compare it to Altun Ha, as I haven't done that site. However, a large group tour leader was on our 7 person trip, while his group went to Altun Ha he decided to check this out as an alternative. He said from now on, he'd bring his groups to Lamanai instead. He was very impressed.

We went to lamanai about 2 and a half years ago with our children who at the time were 17,19 ,21 and 24. They said it was their favorite part of the cruise. We booked with an outside company called belizecruiseexcursions.com . They assure you're on time getting back to ship.We were a party of seven and so we had our own private tour and boat ,saw crocs,howler monkeys and many birds .they also served alunch that was delicious. We are taking my sister and her husband in Feb. Have never been to Altun Ha either but don'tthink you'd be sorry you picked Lamanai.

We did this tour early December off of Pearl booked through NCL. It is a long day but the river, jungle, and ruins are worth it. The only problem I had was with our tour guide. Due to the luck of the draw determined by which bus you get on, we got a tour guide named VEL. He was very friendly and knowledgable but kind of lost track of the purpose of the tour. Once we were on the boat, he spent 15-20 minutes looking for and showing us animals and plants. Then when we finally got to the ruins and had lunch, we spent another 15-20 minutes looking for plants and animals. All of this is fine and dandy, but I PAID to see the ruins. If I wanted a botanical tour of Belize, I would have booked something else. Bottom line, at the Jaguar temple and complex, which is the largest, we got 5 minutes to view and take some pictures because we were so far behind schedule. We spent an entire day to have about 30 minutes total at the actual ruins. Vel even made the comment that he does the tour his own way because that is the way he likes it. I let him know I didn't like it. Others on tour were of the same mind. Hope you get more time at the ruins. Don't mean to be negative, but want you to be aware. If I had it to do over I would go with Altun Ha since it is much closer.

Bill

We did this tour early December off of Pearl booked through NCL. It is a long day but the river, jungle, and ruins are worth it. The only problem I had was with our tour guide. Due to the luck of the draw determined by which bus you get on, we got a tour guide named VEL. He was very friendly and knowledgable but kind of lost track of the purpose of the tour. Once we were on the boat, he spent 15-20 minutes looking for and showing us animals and plants. Then when we finally got to the ruins and had lunch, we spent another 15-20 minutes looking for plants and animals. All of this is fine and dandy, but I PAID to see the ruins. If I wanted a botanical tour of Belize, I would have booked something else. Bottom line, at the Jaguar temple and complex, which is the largest, we got 5 minutes to view and take some pictures because we were so far behind schedule. We spent an entire day to have about 30 minutes total at the actual ruins. Vel even made the comment that he does the tour his own way because that is the way he likes it. I let him know I didn't like it. Others on tour were of the same mind. Hope you get more time at the ruins. Don't mean to be negative, but want you to be aware. If I had it to do over I would go with Altun Ha since it is much closer.

Bill

but other tour guides are great..like jewell. we had plenty of time at all the sites. almost an hour while people climbed the tall one. we choose to have the tour 1st and lunch later. that way the other boat/group had lunch 1st. we were the only group at each ruin..except for watching their boat on the river trip and passing them as they sat down for lunch..our group of 23 had the tour to ourselves. when the other group started their tour, we could hear the howler monkeys getting upset.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I are considering doing the Lamanai River Cruise, but are wondering if it's too much for our 2 DD's 8 & 11. My 2nd concern is SNAKES. I read in one review they saw a large snake at one of the masks. You have NO idea how terrified I am of snakes:eek:. Was that just a fluke , or have others seen them too! My hubby doesn't want to split up for excursions, but I don't know. Please help

that was the only report of seeing a snake that i have seen. we didn't see any and i was looking (was raised with snakes, brother still has some)

you get so involved with the sites, you forget about the critters, except for the monkeys (which you can hear in the trees by the restrooms)

the snake that the was in that review was big enough to NOT bother you.

plus the tour guide would not have let your any where near it.

during the day, with the noise the groups make, most of the critters will be long gone.

as far as the kids go...can they walk 1 mile to 1 1/2 mile, staying with the group and not wandering off? will the hour boat ride bored them or will they like the few times they stop for wildlife.

they can't stop for all wildlife, they have to keep to a schedule.

Cathi, thanks for your words, they made me feel SO much better. I will look out for snakes, but not go out of my way looking for them. As for the kids, they are used to walking Disney as we do it at least once a year, so I know they can walk a fair distance. And they'll do fine I think, on the boat. Is it like a river cruise boat or a speed boat. I've read too many reviews and excursions in the last 24 hrs? Do you have pictures? I think I remember it to be a river boat cruise.....

here's a photo of the boat the cruise ship tours use. there has been a couple reports of an extra person coming on the tour...we had one. ours was a young man that stays with the end of the tour, i think his job was "protector". we, only, saw baby crocs..but we did see the "bird that walks on water" (that was cool) and some tiny, tiny bats and a very tiny owl...as well as the howler monkeys at lamanai. BUT most of the boat trip is a speed boat.

and, no, we didn't really see the monkeys that well. i just kept taking photos of the trees. when i edited the photos, i saw some black spots...when i enlarged that, i saw the monkeys. mostly you just see the tree branchs moving and a little black spots within the leaves.

1185428075_prettyarea.jpg.ca528d6ad087cdab585d1d591ea9b899.jpg

1709254185_babycroccloseup.jpg.5a25a3f34f64f994e3058857f7e1152c.jpg

2002003335_bighowlermonkey.jpg.616bfe68ff2fc8fe8b760451844776d3.jpg

1629162578_howlermonkeytreeview.jpg.d95734e653e03006fdf4b619c5a90013.jpg

461314665_CloseupofJacana.jpg.68c885bf9920333494f4858c65d9bd82.jpg

Archived