Galveston- 12-21-08 Voyager Boarding

cuzn999

As we were boarding the Voyager on 12-21-2008, we were in line for the elevator, when we heard a thud. This older lady evidently got her shoe string caught in the escalator and she fell backwards and hit very very hard on her back and head. This happened just as she stepped on it.

Then when we returned on 12-28-2008 the escalator wasn't even working, so everyone had to take their luggage down the stairs.....what a pain.

My question is for anyone that happened to be there.....was this lady alright? Our group had worried about her as we boarded.

Anyone happen to know if she's ok?

I saw a show once covering escalator accidents. The high risk area was not getting on or off, it was too wide a gap between the moving steps and the side. That was where many people would get a shoelace or something caught. It is always safest to stand away from the sides when riding an escalator. You also always should check the shoes of smaller children and make sure they are laced safely.

I also hope the woman was OK.

Wow! I hope she was OK.....I lost a co-worker years ago, several weeks after he took a bad spill and suffered a head injury on an escalator in Las Vegas.

I saw a young child get her tennis shoe lace caught in an escalator step in a department store in Houston many years ago. Fortunately, the escalator jammed and stopped. It was VERY scary!!!

Escalators, luggage, and tennis shoes are a recipe for disaster!

Archived